• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FENDER TAG??

68 VIN stampings on engines and transmission is an under researched topic. Much information is out there that is incorrect, or half right or out of context. It appears that when stampings appear varies by plant. Some early cars i.e. St. Louis 109XXX an August of '68 build, got a stamp. For some plants, it seems as if stamps do not appear until later in the year. So, depending on the plant and time of year, a 68 Road Runner may or may not have a VIN stamp on the block. Then the best you can do is compare the engine assembly date on the pad to the SPD, if known, to try and determine if is is possible that particular assembly came in that particular car.

I'm not as familiar with 68 stamps as I am 69 but in 69, depending on the plant, the radiator stamp may be own the top or it may be on the engine side of the support. Do Lynch Road, St. Louis and LA all stamp the number on the radiator top or do any of these plants use the engine side for the 68 model year?

One can determine a likely SPD using the VIN but it is tougher for 68 cars than later as it is more difficult to associate a VIN with an SPD before 1969. It's harder to build comparitive data bases for '68s due to no VINs being on obvious sources of association to the SPD like fender tags.

What was coded and when it was coded on a tag varies year to year and plant to plant and even within the model year. For a person not familiar with specific plant coding nuances, it would be difficult to reproduce a 68 tag with no underlying documentation.

Last edited:
I have a few pictures that I took of the engine VIN stamping, transmission with VIN, radiator support, trunk lip, and the fender tag. If you need them, I'll be happy to post them here.

you are right. I was reading a mopar "restoration" guide and was misled in this. thanks

On my 1968 Coronet R/T

Under the truck seal on the left side.
Trunk Lip Stamp.JPG

Backside of Radiator Support.
Radiator Support.JPG

Numbers from my '68 GTX
You'll notice the last six numbers match the Fender Tag.
Trunk lip:
Trunk Lip Stamping.JPG

Radiator Support:
Radiator Support Stamping.JPG

Fender Tag:
Fender Tag 1.JPG

Didn't Chrysler have a fire that destroyed those records? It seems that's what they told me when I was digging for information on my Coronet r/t.

Numbers from my '68 GTX
Trunk lip:
View attachment 1262034

Radiator Support:
View attachment 1262035

Fender Tag:
View attachment 1262036

Didn't Chrysler have a fire that destroyed those records? It seems that's what they told me when I was digging for information on my Coronet r/t.
I just read something about this the other day. It turns out that the plants never sent the records to Chrysler Ristorical to be retained.

Numbers from my '68 GTX
Trunk lip:
View attachment 1262034

Radiator Support:
View attachment 1262035

Fender Tag:
View attachment 1262036

So it looks like from your pics....the St. Louis plant stamped the numbers on the engine side of the support and LA stamped them on the top of the support.

AFTER 40 YEARS OWNERSHIP I'VE STARTED THE RESTORATION OF MY 68 ROADRUNNER.
IN MY EFFORTS OF DOING STUFF RIGHT, I'M DOING THE NUMBERS MATCHING THING.
MY LATEST HANG UP IS THE "MISSING FENDER TAG". DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES BEYOND MY CONTROL, THE BUILD SHEET AND FENDER TAG ARE LONG GONE. I'VE RECREATED THE TAG, ALL BUT THE LAST 6 DIGITS. THEY ARE OF COURSE THE SEQUENTIAL BUILD NUMBERS. I KNOW THE DATES OF THE MOTOR AND EVERYTHING ELSE, WHEN IT WAS ORIGINALLY PURSCHASED AND WHERE, BUT RATHER THAN FORGING A NUMBER...HOW DO I FIGURE THEM OUT??
The body number/s/o number will be stamped on the radiator support and trunk lip on the 68 also on the fender tag and noted on the broadcast sheet also. (no vin of course til 69 on the body stamps and fender tag). If it is a road runner with an HP motor, the vin should be stamped on the engine block right behind the oil sending unit 8B165722 etc. with the tranny stamped butted up to it exactly the same. If it is an early build 68 then the motor may not be stamped and you can then only go by the build date for the engine which you do not have since there is no fender tag etc. If you get a repop fender tag without already having a rusted one to go by, then most people know it is a re-stamp and in my opinion it causes more harm than good because then people start questioning the integrity of the whole car. I would just search to see if someone may have your broadcast sheet or fender tag and they show up all the time and maybe you will get lucky.

IMG_7814.JPG

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back