• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fender Well openings behind the shock tower

wtate

Local time
4:54 PM
Reaction score
Another question I'm having trouble finding info on?

The attached picture is for a 1970 Superbird and I'm trying to figure out what fills this opening? I'm thinking it's one of the rubberized flaps used inside the fender wells with
the stainless steel spring clips but would like to be sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Wayne
2020-06-15 Lower fender well openings.jpg

Drivers side is on the outside and passenger is on the inside.

Your master cylinder and its cover is supposed to be black as the brake booster.

Another question I'm having trouble finding info on?

The attached picture is for a 1970 Superbird and I'm trying to figure out what fills this opening? I'm thinking it's one of the rubberized flaps used inside the fender wells with
the stainless steel spring clips but would like to be sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

WayneView attachment 963818
You'll want the 1970 B body frame rail splash shield. https://www.restorationspecialties.com/Splash-Shield-Seals-Inner-Fender-Seals_c_294.html

Your master cylinder and its cover is supposed to be black as the brake booster.
Thanks for the info, however that's not what it says in the David Wise reference book I've been following for my restoration. Do you have some more additional info? If so, I'd be willing to change it. Its been a little whole but if I remember they came with 2-3 different types.

Thanks for the info, however that's not what it says in the David Wise reference book I've been following for my restoration. Do you have some more additional info? If so, I'd be willing to change it. Its been a little whole but if I remember they came with 2-3 different types.
Mine is a 440 4bbl, column shifted automatic. Mine has been done since 2004 and I used someone's judging guide and it said that the booster and master cylinder were painted black as a unit. For the life of me I don't remember where I put that manual, or whose it was. My car is over restored as there was no way that I was going to do certain things as the factory did. The big things I didn't do were:
Overspray on the rockers, undercarriage, exhaust manifolds, battery cable, and other parts. I actually liked that they said the master cylinder was painted rather chancing rust in the future. @dadsbee might chime in on how his was, and I am sure there are probably other owners around that may have insight on this.

Mine had a bad lid gasket, so the paint is long gone.. but AFAIK it's supposed to be all Black as Jerry points out. Where's that @Mopar John guy?? LOL Mine has the correct lid... hard to read after 50 years of beating though..
superbirdcleanup20182019 542.JPG

superbirdcleanup20182019 544.JPG

Mine is a 440 4bbl, column shifted automatic. Mine has been done since 2004 and I used someone's judging guide and it said that the booster and master cylinder were painted black as a unit. For the life of me I don't remember where I put that manual, or whose it was. My car is over restored as there was no way that I was going to do certain things as the factory did. The big things I didn't do were:
Overspray on the rockers, undercarriage, exhaust manifolds, battery cable, and other parts. I actually liked that they said the master cylinder was painted rather chancing rust in the future. @dadsbee might chime in on how his was, and I am sure there are probably other owners around that may have insight on this.

Thanks for the info here. I'm going to dig into this a little more, but its looking like all the Superbirds' master cylinders were black from what I'm seeing and hearing here.

Auto Transport Service
Back