• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Filling the gap in radio options?

signalsparks

Local time
8:02 AM
Reaction score
So here's what's available to do for tunes in your classic ride these days:

1. Have your original radio rebuilt, starting around $300
2. Buy a Retrosound unit, starting around $400 (and they sound about as good as the original)
3. Hack up your dash
4. Tuck a modern single-din unit under the dash and hope no one pries it off with a crowbar while you're grabbing a hot dog at the car show
5. Go full bump-trunk seismic disruptor with a high-amp electrical system, amps bigger than your air cleaner, a modern head unit, and subwoofers everywhere. Park and play some tunes at the car show, your battery goes flat with the first bass drop.
6. Grab a portable bluetooth speaker and put it somewhere. Forget to charge it, it goes dead in the middle of your favorite song.

What if there was another option? Here's what I want:

1. Use stock speaker location(s) with new/modern speakers that fit
2. Sounds about as good as a rebuilt original radio
3. FM radio capability using your existing antenna (for the drive-in movies!)
4. Bluetooth and line-in connectivity for music off your phone, etc.
5. Easily hidden or removed for show n' shines
6. Low current draw for stock or nearly-stock electrical systems
7. Runs off accessory power, but has its own backup battery so you can park, chill and listen to tunes without burning up your ignition points
8. The whole unit plugs in with 4 wires (mono dash speaker +/-, 12v accessory power +/-)
9. About the size of a catering truck burrito (or smaller)
10. COSTS ABOUT $50 OR LESS

I don't see anything on the market that fits that bill.

On election night, instead of causing myself angina by watching the news, I went all mad scientist with my soldering iron, hacksaw, and some bits and baubles I had lying around. I came up with a prototype.

Would anyone else be interested in such an item?

Last edited:
Consider a blue tooth amp...

https://www.amazon.com/Resistant-Bl...io&sprefix=blue+tooth+amp+car,aps,214&sr=8-18

I just installed one in a 65 Dart, The amp is mounted out of sight, we made a bracket to mount the smaller control panel (2 x 3.5 x .5) It connects to your phone be bluetooth, You can either have audio files on your phone on use a phone based app like I heart radio to sent music to your speakers...

Smart phone and a wireless speaker on the back seat.. was my plan... if I ever surrender the flip phone! LMAO ..

but no FM radio. Even if the drive-in movies have a streaming option, there's usually a lag...

Even if you're not at a movie so a few seconds of delay doesn't matter, you're still dependent on mobile data, which may not be reliable for some people.

The backup battery feature is also a huge plus. I've burned out my points at, umm, inconvenient times when I was a young lad.

"Hey baby, do you have a nail file and a flashlight in your purse? I hope you do because you're missing curfew otherwise."

Last edited:
but no FM radio. Even if the drive-in movies have a streaming option, there's usually a lag...

There are tons of radio apps that allow you you have FM radio.. There may be a lag, I haven't tested it... Wouldn't bother me, there are no drive in movies in my area...

So here's what's available to do for tunes in your classic ride these days:

1. Have your original radio rebuilt, starting around $300
2. Buy a Retrosound unit, starting around $400 (and they sound about as good as the original)
3. Hack up your dash
4. Tuck a modern single-din unit under the dash and hope no one pries it off with a crowbar while you're grabbing a hot dog at the car show
5. Go full bump-trunk seismic disruptor with a high-amp electrical system, amps, a modern head unit, and subwoofers everywhere. Park and play some tunes at the car show, your battery goes flat with the first bass drop.

What if there was another option? Here's what I want:

1. Use stock speaker location(s) with new/modern speakers that fit
2. Sounds about as good as a rebuilt original radio
3. FM radio capability using your existing antenna (for the drive-in movies!)
4. Bluetooth and line-in connectivity for music off your phone, etc.
5. Easily hidden or removed for show n' shines
6. Low current draw for stock or nearly-stock electrical systems
7. Runs off accessory power, but has its own backup battery so you can park, chill and listen to tunes without burning up your ignition points
8. The whole unit plugs in with 4 wires (mono dash speaker +/-, 12v accessory power +/-)
9. About the size of a catering truck burrito (or smaller)
10. COSTS ABOUT $50 OR LESS

I don't see anything on the market that fits that bill.

On election night, instead of causing myself angina by watching the news, I went all mad scientist with my soldering iron, hacksaw, and some bits and baubles I had lying around. I came up with a prototype.

Would anyone else be interested in such an item?
:xscuseless:

The amp is 8" x 4" x 2"
The controller is 3.8" x 2" x .5"

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 8.38.16 PM.png

Why would I want to snap a picture of my homebrew setup and expose myself to ridicule for how the switches aren't centered, the labeling isn't nice and neat, etc. etc.

Because I and I am sure others would love to see what you came up. I don't give a crap about anything being centered, I am more interested in your ingenuity.

That amazon thing is great, but doesn't fulfill #3 and #7 on my second list.

I'll give ya that, it also costs $30 more than your $50 limit... There are cheaper units that do hit below the $50 mark but online reviews seem to indicate this one is pretty reliable...

I can say it is pretty easy to hide & it actually cranks pretty loud with decent bass... (well louder than an old fart like me needs)...

It is equal to the Secret Audio stuff that costs over $300 so it appeals to us cheap guys...

Because I and I am sure others would love to see what you came up. I don't give a crap about anything being centered, I am more interested in your ingenuity.

OK. Be nice, everybody. Here it is , I still have to put a 4-pin microphone connector on the side for power and speaker, and a Line In plug, too. On the back, you can see the Motorola antenna plug. It has an FM tuner function, too. The circuit board came out of a smashed Blackmore BRS-1104 that I found.

IMG_2981.jpg IMG_2982.jpg

Thats pretty cool, where are you thinking of putting it in the car?
I was planning to magnet or velcro-mount under the middle of the dash. All the switches you see (except the power switch on the bottom) are momentary. Just soldered to where the push buttons were on the original circuit board.

I was planning to magnet or velcro-mount under the middle of the dash. All the switches you see (except the power switch on the bottom) are momentary. Just soldered to where the push buttons were on the original circuit board.

Very cool and innovative, congrats.

My 70 RR radio delete i listen to my headers :thumbsup: and listen to the old lady yack:thumbsup:

The backup battery feature is also a huge plus. I've burned out my points at, umm, inconvenient times when I was a young lad.
Doesn't your key have an ACC position? My radio worked with that, no power to the points.

Auto Transport Service
Back