• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally installed MSD on my car.

383man

Local time
7:51 PM
Reaction score
Yes I got a good deal and an MSD 6A digital box. So I bought an MSD coil and installed and wired it up the other day. My old Mopar ign worked fine but with the MSD multispark at 3000 RPM and below I hope it will keep the plugs cleaner even longer. I could go all summer on the same plugs and rive and race on them. So it will be nice to see how it does as I have always planned on going to MSD when I got the money. Ron

414421809.jpg

Nice, let us know the outcome. I think you've got the best carb heat isolator ever made under that carb!

My best friend has a 6A on his hot 383. Loves it, runs fantastic.
Ehrenberg says there’s no horsepower in ignition, and I agree with his logic, but I know my buddies car run like a top. May not be more powerful but it starts and runs perfectly.

I've heard the "No Power in ignition" argument but I've also seen how much more completely an MSD burns a ragged mixture...

Back in the early 80's I had an MSD 5C, my buddies T/A had a little more than the stock cam & the Sixpack didn't idle really cleanly... You had to slip the clutch pretty good to take off or it would stall.... I stuck my MSD on his car just to see if it would help... The improvement was immediate & profound... It would sit & idle beautifully, you could practically dump the clutch at idle & the car wouldn't stall, it would chug a couple times & pull away.... I never got my MSD back.... LOL..

Dragged kicking and screaming into the modern world at last Ron ?
:rofl::welcome:

You wont regret it . Never seen more power , but definatelly better start and idle

Tex

My switch to MSD (drag car) was from a Mopar Blue box to MSD 404BC. Due to concerns of reported MSD reliability I left the Blue box in & able to switch ignitions in 30 seconds. Mopar claimed the MSD was worth .05+ improvement in ET. Back to back testing with my car, the ET stayed the same, but .5 to 1 MPH increase. 6A should keep your plugs cleaner. You can increase the plug g ap a bit too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. My take on this is that if you have a good ign on your car then you will see no faster et going with MSD. But it should keep the plugs cleaner and fire worn or partly fouled plugs that a standard ign may not. When we took this same Mopar ign off my sons car and added MSD it did not run any faster and stared and idled the same. But I like the multispark and the fact it will fire plugs that other ign may not. I don't think my car will be any faster by why not run the best ign out there. I also just installed a Power Master 100 amp one wire alt and I like it. Its the one made from a factory Mopar alt so it looks stock and bolts right up with no mods. Ron

Thanks for the replies. My take on this is that if you have a good ign on your car then you will see no faster et going with MSD. But it should keep the plugs cleaner and fire worn or partly fouled plugs that a standard ign may not. When we took this same Mopar ign off my sons car and added MSD it did not run any faster and stared and idled the same. But I like the multispark and the fact it will fire plugs that other ign may not. I don't think my car will be any faster by why not run the best ign out there. I also just installed a Power Master 100 amp one wire alt and I like it. Its the one made from a factory Mopar alt so it looks stock and bolts right up with no mods. Ron
Ron can you tell me where you bought your 100 amp Powermaster alternator?

Actually my son ordered it of the internet and it was delivered about 5 days later. I guess he went to the Power Master website ? Ron

Actually I was wrong he told me today he just got it off Summit's website. Ron

My best friend has a 6A on his hot 383. Loves it, runs fantastic.
Ehrenberg says there’s no horsepower in ignition, and I agree with his logic, but I know my buddies car run like a top. May not be more powerful but it starts and runs perfectly.
Ehrenberg....
Yeah, I can see his logic but there also is no horsepower in an engine that won't start. I've had random no spark episodes with my Charger despite having good grounds and well maintained parts. I've had ECUs fail, coils fail, ballasts fail....I am about to switch to an MSD setup as well.

IIRC part of the "possible" performance improvement that the MSD offers is the ability to run a larger plug gap, more spark length exposed to the mixture. True?? I'm convinced the MSD will fire a less than perfect mixture better than most other types.

I've ran analog 6AL's with Mopar electronic distributors for the last 25 years with zero issues. Just don't use the crappy connectors they send with the box, LOL!

I've added on things like dial adjust rev limiter and cockpit adjustable timing. My cars have always started INSTANTLY with these boxes.

I ran a full msd in my old 70 roadrunner with a healthy 440 when I had her. Msd pro billet dizzy with a 12 degree bushing and 2500rpm springs. Ran the digital 6al2 box with the 2-step and blaster SS coil. Started every time plugs were clean. Never hesitation. Double pumper on her and daily drover her.

Auto Transport Service
Back