• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally made some headway on the 71 Charger 500

Donniejr81

Local time
7:55 AM
Reaction score
I made some long overdue progress today on the '71. I got the new gas tank put in, broke out the welder and welded a patch on the frame, and started with getting the trunk weatherstrip changed. My tomorrow project is to finish getting the trunk sealed up, get the engine bay ready for the engine, and put the trans up in it. I sweat my a$$ off, but it made that cold beer taste all the better.

By no means is it going to be ANYWHERE near restoration quality, I just have to get it driveable and presentable. The management where we live does not allow any vehicles that are not licensed, driveable, or "hazardous" looking. For now it's stored at Dad's farm but there's a very good possibility that he'll be relocating, so my working and storage area may be getting ready to cease.

So for now it's going to stay FULL of fiberglass and bondo, and have a horribly mismatched interior. But it will be driveable and look OK from 20 feet. Next year when we buy a house with a garage, I'll be able to start a proper restoration. I've worked too long and hard on it to have to give it up. I'll be working my a$$ off the next few weekends to get some serious work done. Here's to a day's hard work to bring my baby home.:hello2:

Keep plugin' away on that 500. You don't see many of them. I'm working on a 71 Charger SE that was pretty rough. More work than I would have ever imagined but in the end it will be worth it. Got any pics?

Just stay patient and things will come around. I would also like to see some pictures. I've got a 71 charger se that's on the back burner for now.

Man sounds like your very determined and that's what it takes! I agree with these guys, keep plugging away with the patience and you'll get it where you want it.. They have a great sleek body style and it will be a fun Mopar to drive, and show off! Good luck on her. :) I to wouldn't mind seeing some pictures!~!!

Is this car invisible? If not..Photos would help.. ;) hehe..

I have some pics on my wife's phone. I'll get them uploaded today when we get back to the land of 4G cellphone coverage. The floors have so much sheetmetal screwed in and fiberglass in them I dont think theres any hope for the original metal there. It seems solid and I have subframe connectors to weld in, but just something about sitting on fiberglass doesn't entice me.

Found some pics of the day we got the Charger home to Dad's.

Photo0493.jpgPhoto0495.jpgPhoto0496.jpg

Thanks for the pictures!, It's always cool to have pictures of what you started off with, The beginning of the story so to speak :) If that's the original millage, that's real cool!!!

I wish that was actual mileage lol. I'm sure it's rolled over atleast once...probably more like twice given the condition of the drivetrain. But she fired right up after cleaning the plugs and points and pouring a little gas down the carb. Can't wait to hear that sound again...

Thats always the case when ya here it the first time, You just cant wait until its time to do it again!!!

I have a little patch to do on the frame, then the engine will be ready to go back in this weekend. Today I got rest of the goodies I'll need to hook it up. $150 worth of the little gotchas...plugs, vacuum hose, clamps stuff like that.

I have a little patch to do on the frame, then the engine will be ready to go back in this weekend. Today I got rest of the goodies I'll need to hook it up. $150 worth of the little gotchas...plugs, vacuum hose, clamps stuff like that.

Any plans for the car? Driver her and have fun this summer? Sounds like a plan to me... FUN!

NICE

Keep at it! working on it it is fun, but being able to drive it makes the work more enjoyable in my opinion.

Definitely gonna driver her for now and rack up some miles this summer = FUN. So far it has new shocks, brakes, steering, suspension, rebuilt tranny, and freshened up 400 (that will hopefully start going in this weekend) Still needs ALOT of cosmetic work though.

Hopefully in the next year or two I'll start a full blown resto mod. I'm thinking find a nice meeting point with power, handling, economy, and turn key reliability. The possibilities are endless...

Auto Transport Service
Back