• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FINALLY!! Progression Ignition adds Nitrous timing retard, LAUNCH CONTROL and DATA LOGGING!!!

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:51 PM
Reaction score
Oh GLORIOUS DAY!! :thumbsup: :bananadance: :bananaweed:
I have BEEN waiting for these features to be added to what I already believe is THE best ignition system for any carbureated engine that you want the best performance from, not only power, but fuel economy as a bonus.
Some big block Mopar engines with "fabricated" valve covers or "big" aftermarket heads were having clearance issues with the Progression Ignition, and the fix was grinding on the heads and bashing in the corner of the valve cover, so they made a smaller diameter billet aluminum distributor to alleviate the problem...
That was originally what I was waiting for...
BUT
When I was on the phone to order one, I asked about N²O timing retard and launch control "2 step" capabilities and I was assured they were working on it.
So again, I waited, and waited...
Look what I found today:
Screenshot_20230601_162320_Google Play Store.jpg

Datalogging too!!
So I just called and emailed them, and I'll follow-up with what I find out, but here's some info from the app/website:
Screenshot_20230601_164956_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Screenshot_20230601_165147_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
Screenshot_20230601_165237_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Go here to learn more about these new features, but DO NOT buy the last one in stock until I get to buy mine!!!
Progression Ignition

Almost 800 for a full load dizzy! I like it but man stuff is getting expensive these days

Oh GLORIOUS DAY!! :thumbsup: :bananadance: :bananaweed:
I have BEEN waiting for these features to be added to what I already believe is THE best ignition system for any carbureated engine that you want the best performance from, not only power, but fuel economy as a bonus.
Some big block Mopar engines with "fabricated" valve covers or "big" aftermarket heads were having clearance issues with the Progression Ignition, and the fix was grinding on the heads and bashing in the corner of the valve cover, so they made a smaller diameter billet aluminum distributor to alleviate the problem...
That was originally what I was waiting for...
BUT
When I was on the phone to order one, I asked about N²O timing retard and launch control "2 step" capabilities and I was assured they were working on it.
So again, I waited, and waited...
Look what I found today:
View attachment 1473019
Datalogging too!!
So I just called and emailed them, and I'll follow-up with what I find out, but here's some info from the app/website:
View attachment 1473020
View attachment 1473021View attachment 1473022
Go here to learn more about these new features, but DO NOT buy the last one in stock until I get to buy mine!!!
Progression Ignition
If it's information and adaptability you want and need, this system appears to do everything required. Going first class always costs a little more......
BOB RENTON

Almost 800 for a full load dizzy! I like it but man stuff is getting expensive these days
The ONLY comparison, in my opinion, to what this Progression Ignition does is an Engine Control System, like you use on an EFI setup. Maybe some other manufacturer with a half dozen items, distributor, N²O module, ECU module, 2 step module, data module, etc, and that still doesn't include the APP control.
I think it's a bargain!

One of the "little things" this ignition does that will benefit me comes from the way the advance can be set for specific RPMs, and how my AC system affects this, or for those who have an automatic transmission, this same thing will help as well.
If my explanation is hard to understand or "too long to read" watch this video:

As an example, if I have 20° of advance at idle 900 RPMs because of my HP cam, and I turn on the AC, the compressor will pull the idle down to a point where the engine is more likely to stall. By putting the advance up 5° to 25° and changing the RPM on the advance table from the standard 200 RPM increment at 700 up to 800, as soon as the idle RPMs drop to or below 800, the Progression adds 5° more advance, and that will increase the RPMs. Same as putting an automatic transmission in "Drive". When the idle may normally drop below a desired speed from the drag of engaging the transmission, the additional advance brings the RPMs back up. BOTH of these scenarios could only be otherwise addressed by either running the idle higher than needed so when it drops it is ideal or "splitting the difference" where it's a little too fast when the AC is off, or the engine is in neutral, but a little lower than desired when the AC is on or the car is in Drive.
Once I install my Progression Ignition, I can change the values on this timing table to exactly what I need, but this is a good starting point.
Screenshot_20230604_101212.jpg

One of the "little things" this ignition does that will benefit me comes from the way the advance can be set for specific RPMs, and how my AC system affects this, or for those who have an automatic transmission, this same thing will help as well.
If my explanation is hard to understand or "too long to read" watch this video:

As an example, if I have 20° of advance at idle 900 RPMs because of my HP cam, and I turn on the AC, the compressor will pull the idle down to a point where the engine is more likely to stall. By putting the advance up 5° to 25° and changing the RPM on the advance table from the standard 200 RPM increment at 700 up to 800, as soon as the idle RPMs drop to or below 800, the Progression adds 5° more advance, and that will increase the RPMs. Same as putting an automatic transmission in "Drive". When the idle may normally drop below a desired speed from the drag of engaging the transmission, the additional advance brings the RPMs back up. BOTH of these scenarios could only be otherwise addressed by either running the idle higher than needed so when it drops it is ideal or "splitting the difference" where it's a little too fast when the AC is off, or the engine is in neutral, but a little lower than desired when the AC is on or the car is in Drive.
Once I install my Progression Ignition, I can change the values on this timing table to exactly what I need, but this is a good starting point.
View attachment 1474340

WOW......VERY IMPRESSIVE. I assume the software comes with the package and instructions to install on your laptop. How does it connect the laptop to the system? Via BLUETOOTH or WIFI or a hard line (cable)?
Can changes be done in real time or does the vehicle / system need to be "off". I use to do Allen-bradley PLC programming.....the installed program could be forced during operation, just observe the installed program running, but final changes/revisions required the program to be stopped b4 saving. I assume any changes can be saved on the laptop via a flash drive or a separate storage register on the system as a address-able file to switch between for an A vs B vs C, etc. comparison for best results. Does the system allow for a "limp home mode" just in case of a processor failure....just curious .... Please let us all know how well system works.....congrats..........cheers
BOB RENTON

WOW......VERY IMPRESSIVE. I assume the software comes with the package and instructions to install on your laptop. How does it connect the laptop to the system? Via BLUETOOTH or WIFI or a hard line (cable)?
Can changes be done in real time or does the vehicle / system need to be "off". I use to do Allen-bradley PLC programming.....the installed program could be forced during operation, just observe the installed program running, but final changes/revisions required the program to be stopped b4 saving. I assume any changes can be saved on the laptop via a flash drive or a separate storage register on the system as a address-able file to switch between for an A vs B vs C, etc. comparison for best results. Does the system allow for a "limp home mode" just in case of a processor failure....just curious .... Please let us all know how well system works.....congrats..........cheers
BOB RENTON
LOL! Bob, you know I like the way you think and post, but the Progression Ignition system is WAY WAY simpler, easier, yet every bit as capable as "all that".
Everything is controlled by the app, from a Bluetooth enabled Apple or Android device. Timing tables and other settings are saved to the device the app is on, AND to "the Cloud" for backup.
Changes can be made in real time, with the engine running!
I don't know about a "limp home" mode, but it doesn't control as many functions as an ECU on an EFI vehicle, but I will ask.
I appreciate the attention you have given my posts about this, as this product was something that I thought would be amazing for someone to make, and at a big Mopar show I actually saw a guy who made something similar to this using a variety of different electronics he cobbled together for his personal car, but for it to be real, as if manifested from my musings as to "what would the ultimate ignition system for a carbureated engine be like" into reality.
If you care to, go to the app store for whatever smartphone or tablet you may have and download the free Progression app, and play around with it. Their videos are pretty good too!

LOL! Bob, you know I like the way you think and post, but the Progression Ignition system is WAY WAY simpler, easier, yet every bit as capable as "all that".
Everything is controlled by the app, from a Bluetooth enabled Apple or Android device. Timing tables and other settings are saved to the device the app is on, AND to "the Cloud" for backup.
Changes can be made in real time, with the engine running!
I don't know about a "limp home" mode, but it doesn't control as many functions as an ECU on an EFI vehicle, but I will ask.
I appreciate the attention you have given my posts about this, as this product was something that I thought would be amazing for someone to make, and at a big Mopar show I actually saw a guy who made something similar to this using a variety of different electronics he cobbled together for his personal car, but for it to be real, as if manifested from my musings as to "what would the ultimate ignition system for a carbureated engine be like" into reality.
If you care to, go to the app store for whatever smartphone or tablet you may have and download the free Progression app, and play around with it. Their videos are pretty good too!
THANK YOU FOR YOUR EMAIL AND INFORMATION......the system seems to have great capabilities. With BLUETOOTH capabilities it seems that's all you need. Cloud storage is a wonderful thing provided someone (Chinese....Tic-Toc) wants to know everything.....i prefer a flash drive....but that's just ne. As far as changes in real time....that's great for side by side comparison changes. Most (GM) systems have a limp home feature if a processor or one of the sensory inputs fails or gets off calibration.....and with greater engine reliance on the processor's functionality,.....gasoline direct injection, no distributor function, cam phasing. I'll visit the website out of curiosity. I like to know how things work.....thanks again......
BOB RENTON

I'll visit the website out of curiosity. I like to know how things work.....thanks again......
Thank YOU for your input.
The app is definitely the way that I was able to "get a feel" for how it works, and their YouTube channel is ok too.
Less than 1 minute long, this is a good introduction:

Here's another good, more comprehensive video:

Last edited:
Thank YOU for your input.
The app is definitely the way that I was able to "get a feel" for how it works, and their YouTube channel is ok too.
Less than 1 minute long, this is a good introduction:

Here's another good, more comprehensive video:

JUST LIKE THE FARMER IN THE FIELD......OUTSTANDING......
The second video shows in actual operation.....for a Mopar person, my objection is it RESEMBLES a GM a distributor...cap, rotor and advance mechanism under the rotor. Too bad it does not look like a Mopar unit. It appears to use a Hall Effect device...but the brains are under the circuit board....and a MAP sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure) to incorporate the vacuum advance function (MAP is opposite of vacuum) should it be wanted or needed......lets hear it from the ported vs manifold vacuum boys.....
VERY cool stuff......enjoy......THANK you for your presentation and info......impressive.......
BOB RENTON

Thanks again. I've been watching a number of YouTube videos, got stuck on a GTO channel for a bit. I have to be careful about getting stuck in a YouTube "time warp", watching video after video and 4 hours have vanished.
Anyway, most of the videos were on installing the Progression, and everyone was very happy with the results.
Those videos were shot before the new smaller diameter billet aluminum distributor was available. I actually did see a couple of the HEI versions in the videos I watched and there's no possible way it would fit. I definitely like the look of the "small cap distributor" as it's called, and I'm excited about the initial opportunities for fine tuning it provides, the ANTI-THEFT feature that has always been incorporated into the unit, albeit not as good as a Trunk Monkey, it's still very nice. The racing features will be explored in time, and whenever that 572 is ready, the Progression will go in it and I will be certain that the ignition system is getting the most out of that investment as possible.
I'll add this: Just with my current engine, once the Progression is installed, these are the things that I'm going to have to adjust and learn how to get the most out of them:
Assassin traction bars adjustment
HitMaster launch control has clutch depth "bite" and length of time it holds that level of engagement. The engagement depth is hydromecahnical via a dial, and the time is electronic.
Double adjustable front shocks
TRIPLE adjustable rear shocks
Launch RPM limiter
Any timing curve changes I want to make
OH! and Tire Pressure!! Lol...

Ignition system has shipped! :bananadance: :thumbsup:
For those of you who have really wanted or needed a part or product for your car, that explains my situation with the Progression Ignition.
I saw a similar homespun concept years ago, and that and other proclivities kept me always thinking about the ignition system. The FBO ignition made such an improvement over the Chrysler electronic ignition, which I wasn't really having any "problems" with, but the significantly higher advance at idle and everything else that it brought really improved performance and really helped me get the idle and carbs dialed in.
The Progression Ignition gives you a "blank canvas" to create any kind of advance curve you want, and you can be very precise OR just run the self-generated table.
I have a busy schedule ahead, but I hope to install it soon.

Ignition system has shipped! :bananadance: :thumbsup:
For those of you who have really wanted or needed a part or product for your car, that explains my situation with the Progression Ignition.
I saw a similar homespun concept years ago, and that and other proclivities kept me always thinking about the ignition system. The FBO ignition made such an improvement over the Chrysler electronic ignition, which I wasn't really having any "problems" with, but the significantly higher advance at idle and everything else that it brought really improved performance and really helped me get the idle and carbs dialed in.
The Progression Ignition gives you a "blank canvas" to create any kind of advance curve you want, and you can be very precise OR just run the self-generated table.
I have a busy schedule ahead, but I hope to install it soon.
Please keep us informed as to your installation, programming and overall results.....pixs would be great if possible....best of luck......
BOB RENTON

The Ignition System didn't take long to get from Progression in Florida to Louisiana. Shipped late Thursday via USPS and I got it today.
I put the 2nd wiring harness with the blue and pink wires in the pic because they are for the N²O timing retard and 2-step Launch control.
When I opened the bag, Florida air came out and it had that "new electronics" smell...
I hope I can make the time to install it by the end of this month, but it may take a while with the work I have.
20230610_115558.jpg

Now they have a 2 step AND data logger?????
Man, I need to get mine upgraded.

2 step, NO² retard, and data logging.
Boost retard has been available for a long time.

Auto Transport Service
Back