• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Posted in Electrical and Ignition, NEW features that are RACING oriented. 2 step Launch Control, N²O retard and Data Logging, Progression Ignition sys

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:36 AM
Reaction score
I have known for some time that the N²O timing retard and launch control RPM limiter (separate from the max RPM limiter) were in the works since I was just about to order the new smaller diameter billet aluminum distributor from Progression. I was literally calling to order one January of 2022 but I asked about N²O retard and launch control rev limiter and that's when I was let in on what was "in the works". I didn't think it was appropriate to post about something that hadn't been announced or developed, but now the updated Progression APP is available, and the "racing options" are on their site. Data logging is a surprise to me, but pretty awesome.
Older units ARE upgradable, but have to be sent in for the upgrade. I already played with the new features on the app, even though I don't have the system yet. It's a good way to see how it all works, along with the videos and installation and use manuals.
I don't know of ANY ignition system for carbureated engines that offers this level of precise tuning and features, along with feedback. The only comparison I can think of is ECU systems like Haltech, Holley and so on systems for EFI.
At $569 plus $200 for the new "race" features, I doubt that the N²O retard, launch control, and rev limiter features can be cobbled together with other manufacturers products, plus the app makes this so easy to setup and adjust!
Check it out:
FINALLY!! Progression Ignition adds Nitrous timing retard, LAUNCH CONTROL and DATA LOGGING!!!

Once I get my "Racing Options" equipped Progression Ignition installed, I will post videos on YouTube and link them here. Although the Progression Ignition is a great choice for anyone who understands and believes that the ignition timing curve, vacuum advance, more advance at idle and ALL of the benefits that brings, being able to store multiple timing curves for different weather, altitude or "D A", type of fuel being used, and so on, if you are involved in racing, this brings a whole new spectrum of capabilities to get THE best possible performance under any conditions.
I've been reading about all the different ways racers try to save weight in their vehicles to gain small increments of better performance. Likewise, the detailed timing tuning that this system offers can gain anywhere from a lot of power if it replaces a system that was not setup in a way that is best for the engine and vehicle it's installed in, because "close" to ideal is as good as it is capable of. For example, if you set initial timing, total timing, and "use 1 light and 1 medium" tension spring because that gets your full advance all in at a level you think is best, this lets you set the exact timing curve that results in the actual best output.
It's difficult for me to understand how someone who works to do so many little things to get the best ET and MPH, and y'all know far more about all the different ways racers try to do that, but they're OK with "close enough" on something as critically important as the system that determines when the mixture is lit in each of 8 cylinders!

The Ignition System didn't take long to get from Progression in Florida to Louisiana. Shipped late Thursday via USPS and I got it today.
I put the 2nd wiring harness with the blue and pink wires in the pic because they are for the N²O timing retard and 2-step Launch control.
When I opened the bag, Florida air came out and it had that "new electronics" smell...
I hope I can make the time to install it by the end of this month, but it may take a while with the work I have.
20230610_115558.jpg

Last edited:
I like what I've seen, I'm still in the KISS camp
Keep It Simple Stupid

I hate the fact you need something like a cell phone or laptop etc. to tune it
Too bad you need a 'smartphone' (it's 'a dummies' phone :poke: )...
(I don't & won't own one, I like the freedom away from 'a cell')

I'll be watching your progress, with the Progression Ignition...
Some cool new-fangled gadgets

Disclaimer;
Please don't take any of what I'm going to say as a put-down either

I'm not knocking it either,
I don't know enough about them,
from any reputable people, actually using it as described
& having success, going really fast, to make an educated assessment,
or for me to have a good informed opinion on it
But;
more ****, 'that can go wrong' & have to fiddle around with too
electronics in racecars/streetcars don't seem to last

A Fancy Hi-$$$ Ignition won't give you any more power
unless maybe if it's a Plasma, & you better be an electronic engineer
to know how to tune that...
Yes, it (any Hi-$$ Ignition or data logging or instrumentation)
can aid you in tuning parameters,
if it's capable of such things,
but it won't make any more HP, than any good reliable ignition system will
(just like ultra-low ohm resistance wires & hot coils, they aid in getting the fires lit,
but don't/won't increase the HP any, you still need to use them)
I assume
if you learn to use it correctly, sure there'll be a trial & error there too...
It will just aid in;
the fine-tuning it, where needed, N2O or not
or just confuse you even more, when **** isn't going right,
even more parameters to deal with, unless you know what it needs & where...

I'll be watching
Popcorn The Stig Eating.gif

this is gonna be a $30k+ build/540cid project, the way you're going
:lol: your signature alone, will take a whole page all 'by itself' :lowdown:

I hope it all works like clockwork for ya too

good luck

Last edited:
AHEM!! :poke: It got pushed to a 572 (4.50 bore and stroke) wayyy back when the builder ordered the Molnar stroker crank. Something along the lines of "the crank costs the same for either stroke 4¼ or 4½", and I already knew the block didn't need clearance grinding at or below 4.5 so why not? Piston speed still shouldn't be a problem, even up to 7k RPMs.
The teenage car guy in me likes the sound of "572" better than "540"...
Whatever the results, I'm all in, and likely to only have this one shot.

your signature alone, will take a whole page all 'by itself' :lowdown:
:thumbsup::lol:
Hey, I really appreciate the reply and you already know I respect your opinion (even though I may not always follow your advice) This is something I really want, I've thought about an ignition like this before I knew about it, and the base map that self generates based on the data I put in, plus the one that is generated when I check the "aggressive mode" box will be the first 2 tables I save, I'll run it, and go from there.

AHEM!! :poke: It got pushed to a 572 (4.50 bore and stroke) wayyy back when the builder ordered the Molnar stroker crank. Something along the lines of "the crank costs the same for either stroke 4¼ or 4½", and I already knew the block didn't need clearance grinding at or below 4.5 so why not? Piston speed still shouldn't be a problem, even up to 7k RPMs.
The teenage car guy in me likes the sound of "572" better than "540"...
Whatever the results, I'm all in, and likely to only have this one shot.

:thumbsup::lol:
Hey, I really appreciate the reply and you already know I respect your opinion (even though I may not always follow your advice) This is something I really want, I've thought about an ignition like this before I knew about it, and the base map that self generates based on the data I put in, plus the one that is generated when I check the "aggressive mode" box will be the first 2 tables I save, I'll run it, and go from there.
572cid oops :bananadance:

looking forward to seeing it, in use
& how you adapt to it

:thumbsup:

how you adapt to it
I will do all I can to make track trips.
I know a few "regulars" at the track, but a great incentive is my close friends having cars of their own, and I don't want to miss out on this opportunity we have.
It's frustrating to have so few real desires and to struggle to achieve them when it shouldn't be that hard, but I will continue to push forward.

Auto Transport Service
Back