• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally time to pull the trigger . . . starting on the New (much anticipated) SHOP - Build

I'm impressed with what you accomplish on your own. I like having someone to lend a hand most times.

The Interesting trip - Why is it that every trip turns into an adventure . . . This was crazy ! ! !

Don't need my life to be more exciting, get plenty of that with every day stuff.

First, we'll start with the shop - got the fire stops and the cross board installed on the back wall . . .

sm_shop1318.jpg

My trip - was about an hour away where a guy closed down his shop and had an old 1920 bandsaw for sale
( actually 2 of them ) . . . And they will be coming to my shop - 1 to rebuild and keep, 1 to sell . . .
( you can see the table of the 2nd saw in the left of the picture . . . )

sm_shop1319.jpg

Now for the adventure . . . only an hour form home, leave the guys shop and 5 minutes down the road this
happens . . . was hearing a weird sound, and then rubber was flying off the rear tire . . .

sm_shop1320.jpg

Never seen anything like this before on a passenger tire . . . WOW . . .

sm_shop1321.jpg

Look at ALL the damage that was caused by this tire blowout . . . it was unbelievable ! ! !

sm_shop1322.jpg

There . . . fixed . . .

sm_shop1323.jpg

Ok - the weather didn't notice that this is a weekend - don't remember the last time there was NO RAIN in the
forecast for an entire weekend ? ! ? ! ?

sm_shop1324.jpg

That means - time to start moving forward . . . by moving backwards . . . go figure . . .
Pull off the last 2 sections of roofing panels on this lean to section to work on the rear overhang, now that the back
wall has been framed up and is in place . . . and all the trimming . . .

sm_shop1325.jpg

By that, there is a lot of blocking that needs to be added to fill in the gaps . . . On the right - it's all filled in and
on the left . . . next in line for getting blocked in . . .

sm_shop1326.jpg

Plugging my way through the trimming and getting this section just about ready to put the roofing panels back !

sm_shop1327.jpg

And today is Saturday morning . . . got two more days of nice weather, with temps in the 70 today, and they are
calling for 80 degrees tomorrow . . . hope to make some progress on the shop . . .

More Later . . .

The Interesting trip - Why is it that every trip turns into an adventure . . . This was crazy ! ! !

Don't need my life to be more exciting, get plenty of that with every day stuff.

First, we'll start with the shop - got the fire stops and the cross board installed on the back wall . . .

View attachment 1637655

My trip - was about an hour away where a guy closed down his shop and had an old 1920 bandsaw for sale
( actually 2 of them ) . . . And they will be coming to my shop - 1 to rebuild and keep, 1 to sell . . .
( you can see the table of the 2nd saw in the left of the picture . . . )

View attachment 1637656

Now for the adventure . . . only an hour form home, leave the guys shop and 5 minutes down the road this
happens . . . was hearing a weird sound, and then rubber was flying off the rear tire . . .

View attachment 1637657

Never seen anything like this before on a passenger tire . . . WOW . . .

View attachment 1637658

Look at ALL the damage that was caused by this tire blowout . . . it was unbelievable ! ! !

View attachment 1637659

There . . . fixed . . .

View attachment 1637660

Ok - the weather didn't notice that this is a weekend - don't remember the last time there was NO RAIN in the
forecast for an entire weekend ? ! ? ! ?

View attachment 1637661

That means - time to start moving forward . . . by moving backwards . . . go figure . . .
Pull off the last 2 sections of roofing panels on this lean to section to work on the rear overhang, now that the back
wall has been framed up and is in place . . . and all the trimming . . .

View attachment 1637662

By that, there is a lot of blocking that needs to be added to fill in the gaps . . . On the right - it's all filled in and
on the left . . . next in line for getting blocked in . . .

View attachment 1637663

Plugging my way through the trimming and getting this section just about ready to put the roofing panels back !

View attachment 1637664

And today is Saturday morning . . . got two more days of nice weather, with temps in the 70 today, and they are
calling for 80 degrees tomorrow . . . hope to make some progress on the shop . . .

More Later . . .
Wow that tire took a pounding Larry.....lucky you stayed on the road with that. I have seen bulging, but never shredding like that.

Nice score with the Bandsaws....should be a handy tool for your shop. Nice working in the dry weather for a change....we have a 4-day weekend almost rain-free as well....it only rained a bit on Good Friday.

Take it apart - put it back together . . . rinse and repeat . . . Story of my shop progress . . .

Unfortunately - that's what has to happen for the progress to continue . . .

First order of the day . . .
The missing ends of the rafters - since the support is sideways to support the overhang.

sm_shop1328.jpg

Got them added - and even got them stained in the process . . .

sm_shop1329.jpg

Might as well work on getting the stain on the entire overhang while I'm at it . . .

sm_shop1330.jpg

The inside view of the roof after the roof panels were put back in place ( for the last time ) . . .

sm_shop1331.jpg

Roof is done on this lean-to part of the shop now . . .

sm_shop1332.jpg

Next in line . . .
Get the wall panels up on the end of the shop ( and a 1/2 piece on the side wall too ) - not installed in this pic yet.

sm_shop1333.jpg

Got all the panels installed that could get installed . . . ( gawd do I hate that yellow color ) . . .

sm_shop1334.jpg

You guessed it . . . it got stained red as it looks so much better . . . need to get more panels to finish the top.

sm_shop1335.jpg

Had a good day, but had to take time out to get the grass cut today too . . . oh boy ! !

Not too sure what's on the agenda for tomorrow yet . . . All I know is that I'm tired and I'm going to go look at
the back side of my eyelids for awhile . . .

More Later . . .

So… you’re going to keep us guessing on that rounded part of your foundation? I’m still thinking… machine gun turret. Fireplace? Room to put your still? There’s no hole in the floor so it can’t be your outhouse. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

So… you’re going to keep us guessing on that rounded part of your foundation? I’m still thinking… machine gun turret. Fireplace? Room to put your still? There’s no hole in the floor so it can’t be your outhouse. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.
It could be a secret time-travel portal to another galaxy..... :lol:

Big Dilemma on which direction to go . . . Had (2) different options . . . Hummmm . . .

Was not sure which direction to start on this morning for the days task . . . picked this one . . .

Now that the back overhang is in place for this side, this next section "should" be able to be done ? ? ?

sm_shop1336.jpg

Clamps and ratchet straps are my friends when extra "hands" are needed to accomplish a task . . .

sm_shop1337.jpg

Of course . . . the puppy dog was wore out from the long weekend and very nice weather . . .
And that ball goes everywhere he goes . . . it's usually with him . . . . as seen in the pic . . .

sm_shop1338.jpg

Got this section of wall build, and got these last (2) metal roof panels installed . . . see the pollen on the roof ?
this is the time of year where everyone in NC drives a yellow-green pollen vehicle . . .

sm_shop1339.jpg

Building this part of the roof also included building all the blocking as was done in the last wall . . .
The extra metal overhang will get cut off when the metal trim gets done, just need the building completed . . .

sm_shop1340.jpg

Hint . . .

sm_shop1341.jpg

What a weekend . . . got a huge amount done and am very happy with the progress . . . and results.

More Later . . .

I really thought that R. C. Was going to surprise Larry and install an elevator in there for him.
You know… what are friends for.

Very BUSY weekend, got a lot done and now have 2 new toys for the shop . . . too . . .

All I can say is WOW . . . they sure don't make them like they used to make them ! ! !
And that would be a reference to the (2) new toys for the shop ( guy closed his business and sold them )
- Plans . . . figure out which one I want to keep and sell the other one . . . Or fix them both up and sell one . . .

But they are now resting in the shop . . . and are awaiting their time on the list of things to work on . . .

I think we can now say that Spring has officially arrived here in North Carolina . . .

sm_shop1342.jpg

Went to get these two toys picked up on Saturday . . . probably weigh in the 800-1000 pounds each . . .
Like I said - they sure don't make them like this anymore . . . look at the 3-phase motor on the front of the trailer !
He asked two friends to help - the 4 of us spent a good 3 hours getting them loaded . . . what a task ! ! !

sm_shop1343.jpg

Now on to the regular show - building of the shop . . .

Not too sure what I was doing, or thinking when this anchor bolt was set for the wall . . . sheeesh ! ! ! Dummy ! ! !

sm_shop1344.jpg

Had to weld (2) nuts together so that I could add an extension on the bolt so that it could be used "properly" . . .

sm_shop1345.jpg

There . . . much better . . . No, my welder would not reach to here to weld the bolt . . . thus the 2-nut option . . .

sm_shop1346.jpg

Next on the agenda is to get a wall built . . . nice and cool, in the shade of my shop . . . nice breeze . . .
and 81 degrees outside in the sun . . . was "very nice" to have the shop up to protect me . . . LOVE IT ! ! !

sm_shop1347.jpg

While the wall was being built, the inspector was also resting in the coolness of the shop . . . (think he likes it too)

sm_shop1348.jpg

Now the problem is . . . that the wall needs to go up . . . . here . . . 16' tall . . .

sm_shop1349.jpg

Only way to get it done is - one step atta time . . . get it moved over to position so it can be stood up . . .
and ( hopefully ) installed where it needs to go . . . one rule, if it falls, it falls, not going to try and "save" it
- that'll only get one hurt . . .

sm_shop1350.jpg

And . . . the wall has now been installed and is in place ! ! !

sm_shop1351.jpg

That was a whole lot of fun . . . but not as bad as I thought it might be . . . 4 more walls that need to go up here too.

Working on trying to get this back wall build and get the shop fully covered as the birds are trying to build nests in
any and every little cubby hole that they can find in the shop . . . boy is that frustrating ! ! !

I know (2) things for sure . . .
- 1 - going to need a few more 1 x 6 purlins to get this job completed ( out completely )
- 2 - going to need some more 2 x 6 boards to get this project done too . . . running really short now . . .

More Later . . .

Typical NC Spring . . . 60 last week . . . 80-90 this week - back to 60 degrees next week . . .

Oh well . . . wasn't ready for 90s already . . . would like some time in the 70s if possible . . .

Got some pretty interesting views while working on this shop . . . time to share this one with you . . .

sm_shop1352.jpg

Working on the block work and getting it inspected along the way . . .

sm_shop1353.jpg

Got the next section of wall built and installed in the turret . . . . .

sm_shop1354.jpg

Not too sure what's the best picture to show the wall in place . . . so here's another view . . .

sm_shop1355.jpg

Got the next wall in place . . . but this does not seem to show it well . . .

sm_shop1356.jpg

Ahhh . . . this seems to be a good shot to show the progress . . .

sm_shop1357.jpg

Finished up the rest of the blockwork for the turret . . . now just to get the rest of the wall built . . .

sm_shop1358.jpg

Time to work upstairs . . . this was built as a full wall knowing that it would need modifications . . . it's time . . .

sm_shop1359.jpg

Cut some boards and remove the ones that are in the way . . . add pieces where needed . . .

sm_shop1360.jpg

Build the next section of wall for the top and get it ready to be installed . . . and fight with rain again . . .

sm_shop1361.jpg

Today - Sunday, is forecast for rain all day, and most of this area is covered in plastic . . . so something else will be
in store for working on today in the shop - but out of the rain . . . . and a high of 60 for today to boot ? ? ?

More Later . . .

Auto Transport Service
Back