• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally time to pull the trigger . . . starting on the New (much anticipated) SHOP - Build

Uh . . . . Nope . . . Next try ? ? ? ? LOL
ahhhh...... Brick Schmitt House ?

:rofl:

%3a%2f%2fwww.fanagrams.com%2fblog%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2013%2f03%2fbrick-****-house-outhouse.jpg

The calm before the storm . . .

This week has shown additional progress and the hope to get this completed . . .

Continued the progress down this long wall . . . ran out of paint . . .

sm_shop326.jpg

Got all of the radiant barrier installed into the bays on this side . . . where the bay was painted . . .

sm_shop327.jpg

Decided to get another 5 gallon pail of primer to continue the process . . . and finished up the back wall too

sm_shop328.jpg

A sight for sore eyes . . . the Jeep in the shop . . . and there's a reason for this . . .
- I wanted to see it ( lol )
- we have a Winter Storm hitting us Sunday, and I wanted the Jeep out of the snow

sm_shop329.jpg

Took advantage of the "shop" and got my Cell Phone Holder installed in the Jeep while it was in here ! !
I'm REALLY going to LOVE having myself a SHOP to do this kinda stuff in . . . Can't wait ! !

sm_shop330.jpg

And so it begins . . . it's 6AM and the snow is already starting to accumulate . . .
The forecast is that we could get 6-10 inches of the white stuff ! ! ! ! Oh Boy - the idiot drivers will emerge now.

sm_shop331.jpg

Good News . . . got a 1/25 date for the delivery of my garage door . . . that's the part I need.
Was going to get started working on some of the stuff in my lean-to, as far as clean up and moving
( but now the snow has put a "hold" on that idea . . . Dang it ! )

Not too sure what this storm is going to do - but it looks like their prediction might be spot on.
The storm appears to be just hanging over Charlotte . . .

upload_2022-1-16_7-46-56.png

Going to be an interesting day . . . as well as the rest of the week . . .

More later . . .

Interesting week . . . interesting times . . .

What a week . . . we get snow last Sunday, that ( down here in the South - wreaks havoc ) basically about shut down the city for a couple days . . .

Were supposed to get 6-8 inches . . . got about 2 . . .

That and the very cold temps - made it difficult to get things done in the shop . . . and I'm running out of things to do.

sm_shop332.jpg

Then . . . on Friday . . . we get another 2" of snow . . . OK . . . 1 7/8 inches . . .
( were supposed to only get a dusting or 1/2" of the white stuff)

sm_shop333.jpg

STILL waiting on the garage door - that has been "slated" for delivery tomorrow ? ! ? ! Not holding my breath . . .

Trying to get insulation for the walls . . . but everything is SOLD OUT and OUT OF STOCK . . . sheesh

So, since my 66 has not been running, pulled out the mechanical fuel pump . . . and found out why ?

sm_shop334.jpg

Uh . . . "where" is the return spring . . . this is the first mechanical fuel pump to ever give out on me . . . that's LUCKY.
Got a new fuel pump from Summit Racing . . . and spent a day working on installing that . . .

EVERYTHING that could go wrong . . . did . . . ( I know - working on old cars - par for the course )

Plumbing was different - 3 trips to the parts store . . . still don't have the parts I need.
Got (2) AN fittings being shipped and arriving on Wednesday, so that I can get it put back together . . .
That will allow me to bend the hard line from the pump to the carb . . . and "hopefully" have a running car again.

( not like I'd take the 66 out in this mess - slush, salt, black ice . . . it's a mess . . . )

Hopefully - a garage door will be arriving tomorrow ( ugh, gotta pay for it too . . . )

GOOD NEWS - with all the snow, melting snow, rain . . . that we've gotten this week, the shop has been dry - so the weather-proofing that I did appears to be doing the job ( so far ) . . . hope it holds up . . .

More later . . .

Fire in the hole ! ! ! Finally . . .

So the 66 has been giving me some grief, hard starting . . .
Put the new Summit Mechanical fuel pump on, and got it all plumbed last night . . .

All AN fittings and 3/8" hard line - but I had a leak . . . but ONLY after about 5 seconds of hitting the starter . . .

That was a GOOD sign . . .

sm_shop335.jpg

Got a couple "good" hose clamps to the rubber hose on the inlet side of the pump . . . leak fixed.

Hit the key and it fired right up . . . NEVER had it start the easy before . . . can't wait to take it for a spin ! ! !

Beginning to think that I've been having fuel pump issues for a while, and that i never tracked it down to that. Will be anxious to see how she runs with the new fuel pump . . .

Garage update . . .

As suspected - no garage door deliver o 1/25 as was informed . . . figures . . .

More later . . .

The bigger they are . . . the harder they fall . . .

For my next "magic trick" . . . I'll be attempting to to top a cedar that needs to come down . . .
Now . . . this is not your typical little cedar . . . that you can about lean on it and knock it over . . . NO . . .

This tree is probably about 65-70'ish feet tall - it's a beast . . .

sm_shop336.jpg

Here's the base of the tree . . . the camera angle does not show the tape quite right . . . it's 17-18 in diameter.

sm_shop337.jpg

The plan . . . climb up about 40-50 feet, cut off the top . . . and make it easier to take the rest of the tree down.
Simple enough of a plan . . . and everything went about as planned . . . almost . . .

sm_shop342.jpg

As the center leader was being cut, I did not like the way the tree was leaning - thought it would fall as I wanted.
But now . . . up in the tree . . . and 1/2 way cut through the tree . . . I'm having my doubts . . .

So . . . climb back down the tree . . . find my long tow strap . . . and head back up to the cut area . . .
- wrap the strap around the tree, higher than my cut . . . and head back down the tree ( again . . . )

Maneuver my truck back in the corner, hook up some chains to the strap ( they barely reached the ground )
and back up the truck to try and "help" the top come the direction intended . . .

AND . . . it worked like a charm . . . and here's the proof . . . measured the top part - 25' in length

sm_shop338.jpg

So now . . . it's ready ( and will fit in the area ) where it need to be dropped . . .

sm_shop339.jpg

Here's the top portion of the tree . . . for a reference . . .

sm_shop340.jpg

AND for those of you that might "doubt" that I was up there . . . here's proof . . .
( let's see - I'm taking pictures while topping a tree while I'm 40-50' in the air . . . good idea ? ? )
That's one of the top branches that had to come down . . . and then didn't wall to fall to the ground.

sm_shop341.jpg

Garage Update:

The garage door did not show up on Tuesday - as initially told . . . ( figures )
But - was informed that I'll get a call on Monday to get the details and get it delivered - and for me to pay for it.

So then . . . it'll be door installation time . . . .

66 update:

Got the rest of the 66 put back together and got it back on the road today - sure was nice to have it driving again . . . carb still might need some tuning, but it's running well ( and I think better that it has been ) . . .

I'm feeling it from all the tree climbing . . . but it had to be done . . . . I ache everywhere . . .

More later . . .

Damn things grow like weeds in this neck of the woods.
Sappy as hell, too - which makes them flammable as all get-out.
Strike a match to one and it'll go up like a Roman candle.

Have you topped trees before?? Only crazy people climb up trees with chain saws and hang there while a couple of tons of tree top falls next to them.... LOL

lighting it on fire may have been easier...... and safer lol

Geezus........ I never knew there were nuts in cedar trees

Here . . . only really big ones . . .

Same here . . . but it's in the way and has to come down.

Have you topped trees before?? Only crazy people climb up trees with chain saws and hang there while a couple of tons of tree top falls next to them.... LOL

If I let "have you done it before" be my guide, then I'll never do anything in life . . .
and no chain saw was involved in the topping . . . believe it or not, it was done with a bowsaw . . .
So yes . . . NOW I HAVE topped a tree . . . and as determined as I am, I'll do it again if needed too . . . ( but I'm not crazy )

( interesting how you can comment on me when you know nothing about me . . . )

lighting it on fire may have been easier...... and safer lol

To close to my new shop . . . don't need it going up in flames too . . . it's getting topped and taken down
( and then probably planked out into lumber for other projects . . . )

Here . . . only really big ones . . .

Same here . . . but it's in the way and has to come down.

If I let "have you done it before" be my guide, then I'll never do anything in life . . .
and no chain saw was involved in the topping . . . believe it or not, it was done with a bowsaw . . .
So yes . . . NOW I HAVE topped a tree . . . and as determined as I am, I'll do it again if needed too . . . ( but I'm not crazy )

( interesting how you can comment on me when you know nothing about me . . . )

To close to my new shop . . . don't need it going up in flames too . . . it's getting topped and taken down
( and then probably planked out into lumber for other projects . . . )

I didn't mean to offend you, easy to do in todays text and email world...
I was born and lived in Oregon 57 years... I had a friend whose dad sold logging equipment to I was fortunate to go with him more times that I can count to landing sites where the the yarders were dragging up the timber to be loaded on log trucks with Log loaders.....
So I have been around loggers alot and seen them put on there climbing spurs and climb up large and tall fir trees and cut them, and when the topped tree was falling the lower section( that the cutter was hanging on to) was whipping back and forth about 10 feet each way......
Perhaps I could change my comment to " YOU got big brass ones doing that" and after watching it done mulitple times, its not for me.....

Weekend Progress . . .

This past weekend was a great one - and a major accomplishment . . .

My shop now has an installed garage door ! ! !

sm_shop343.jpg

And opened . . .

sm_shop344.jpg

Now the "junk" transfer can begin . . . got a LOAD of work ahead of me, before phase II starts . . .

More later . . .

Continuation with Phase I . . . working toward Phase II . . .

Last weekend I was working on getting the "old" shop emptied . . .

Shop has not been this empty since the day I bought it and moved in . . .

sm_shop345.jpg

Actually can move around in here now . . . progress is going well . . .

sm_shop346.jpg

More work continues to get it all cleared out . . . so the dismantling can proceed . . .

More later . . .

I like to have a good clean out periodically.....makes you feel good....until you realise you threw something out that you need just after the trash has been cleared out. :rolleyes:

Good Day . . . Good progress . . .

Had a great day, but still lots left to get done . . . but . . .

The Belvedere got see the light of day for a bit today . . .
as it got moved over to the new shop . . . ( the wheels and tires are only to make it a roller )

sm_shop347.jpg

Getting it into the new shop . . .

sm_shop348.jpg

Finally parked . . . now to get the remainder of the stuff out of the old shop . . .

sm_shop349.jpg

Still got some things that need to get moved . . .

sm_shop350.jpg

As always, the last 10% is going to take 90% of the time . . . ARGH ! ! !

Anxious to get onto Stage II on this project . . .

More later . . .

Finally had the opportunity to stop by Larry's place and check it out, what a beautiful plot and neighborhood! Garage progress is looking great along with the 67. Seeing his old shop in person put things into perspective, holy cow.. I don't know how he got anything done! Cramped doesn't even begin to describe it, basically you had access to 1 side and that's it! This new garage will be paradise!

Auto Transport Service
Back