• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally time to pull the trigger . . . starting on the New (much anticipated) SHOP - Build

Are you planning any plywood sheathing or are you just going to add metal panels to the sidewalls? The end walls of such a long narrow structure will tend to rack especially the wall with the garage door in it. Putting plywood on the exterior side and interior side will create a box that will stabilize the wall with the garage door from racking. I know your were able to install diagonal braces on the other corners.

Remember . . . this is only an "offshoot" of the main building. The main building will also add structural support to this.
My thoughts are to use Hardi-Plank siding ( 4 x 8 sheets ) on the outside of the building and sheetrock on the inside for additional torsional support.

Thanks for looking out for my build - I really appreciate helpful suggestions as I am not a builder by profession . . . only trial by fire . . .

Looking GREAT! The last little bit will go fast.

Hopefully . . . that will be a true statement . . . it's getting colder here and making the build a little bit more challenging . . . Thanks ! ! !

One step at a time . . . making progress . . .

Had a little time today and picked up some supplies and got at it . . .

Got the first panel up . . .

sm_shop289.jpg

And then got 3 more up before I ran out of daylight . . .

sm_shop290.jpg

4 of 12 full panels puts me ant just shy of 1/4 of the way done . . .

Still need to get all the screws in the field of the metal roof installed . . . and the rake edges too . . .

More later . . .

My wife always uses 1/2 in plywood on garage wall to support door hardware better as drywall will crush under pressure

Some visible, some not so visible progress . . .

Took Christmas day off and spent time with the grandkids . . .

Then took advantage of 70 degree temps and got some stuff done on the shop . . .

sm_shop291.jpg

In addition to that, got all but one row of the field on the roof completely screwed down and secured now.
( that's the not so visible part that got done . . . )

The "little" gap on the right - I'm torn, would like the siding panels to continue into the center section.
So . . . I might get something installed so it can be removed to allow the panels to continue . . .

Got some nice temps down here . . . hope to "try" and take advantage of them if I can . . .

More later . . .

The "little" gap on the right - I'm torn, would like the siding panels to continue into the center section.
So . . . I might get something installed so it can be removed to allow the panels to continue . . .
Speaking of little gaps.....have you got plans for a wide centre ridge cap eventually to bridge the gap between the sections of the building?

upload_2021-12-27_17-4-43.png

Speaking of little gaps.....have you got plans for a wide centre ridge cap eventually to bridge the gap between the sections of the building?

View attachment 1213520

Roger - the red building is not going to be part of the new shop - it's in the way - once I move all the contents of the red building to the new building, then I'll dismantle (probably relocate) the red building - then start on building the "new" center section which will probably be 26' x 50'.

Hope that makes more sense now . . .

Good week, working under the spotlights . . .

Wanted to take advantage of this great weather and get some stuff done this week on the shop.
Decided that working with spotlights after work was a necessity . . . so it began . . .

Tuesday night progress . . . got 2 more panels installed . . .

sm_shop292.jpg

Wednesday night progress . . . got 4 more panels installed . . . only 2 left . . .
SIDE NOTE - make your length a factor of 4 so the panels will fit nicely . . . I'll need a 2' piece at the end . . .

sm_shop293.jpg

Got that last piece installed . . .

sm_shop294.jpg
sm_shop295.jpg

Thursday night progress . . . got the last 2 panels installed . . . only the 2' section remains . . .

sm_shop296.jpg

Threw up a couple cheap China freight tarps to help . . .

sm_shop297.jpg

Nice to have this under cover and dry . . . we got some rain and colder temps coming soon . . .

More later . . .

Half day of work . . . and some great progress to boot . . .

Was really happy with my progress today . . .

Got started on the back of the shop . . . 1st panel . . .

sm_shop298.jpg

2nd panel . . . 3rd ready to go ( forgot to get it before . . . )

sm_shop299.jpg

Got the 3rd panel installed . . .

sm_shop300.jpg

And the first upper panel . . .

sm_shop301.jpg

And the 2nd upper panel . . .

sm_shop302.jpg

And finally, the last upper panel . . . back wall is done ( except the small gap . . . like the front ) . . .

sm_shop303.jpg

What a great sight . . . sure is nice to see this coming together . . .

sm_shop304.jpg

Also, got that last 2' section installed on the side of the building too . . .

sm_shop305.jpg

ALL of my siding is now up . . .

sm_shop306.jpg

And . . . what a wonderful view it is from the inside ! ! !

sm_shop307.jpg

Only thing . . .now what to do with covering the other side "temporarily" . . .
It will have the center section built up and then probably get sheet rock . . . but can't do that now . . .

And materials are starting to go through the roof again . . . ARGH ! ! !

More later . . .

One last view . . .

The view from the inside sure looks great . . . can't tell you how good this feels . . .

sm_shop308.jpg

Relocated the tarps on the center section wall . . . hope to "try" and keep some of the water from the upcoming rain out.

sm_shop309.jpg

Looking at insulation . . . IF I can find if they have any in stock with the short supplies EVERYWHERE . . .

More later . . .

I'm going to be feeling this in the morning . . . where's my Advil . . .

I might be regretting this . . .
But Here's the scoop . . . did not like the tarps, and I really need something more solid and secure.
So I bought 19 sheets of 4 x 8 Plywood and set off on the task of covering the wall . . .

Might not think it's too much of a deal . . . but . . . when you have this to work with . . .
( note - this looks like most of the housing developments that are built these days . . . )

It makes it quite challenging . . . to say the least . . .

sm_shop312.jpg

But . . . as the day progressed, I worked through the pain and really needed to get this done (rain tomorrow)
And . . . got all 19 sheets hung - screwed in place so they can be removed when the center section goes up )

sm_shop310.jpg

And the front section . . . even the (2) small sections were completed ( screwed in place . . . )

sm_shop311.jpg

Still worried about the rain and the plywood - did not have time to get primer or pain on it
So I got (1) of the tarps put back up with the hopes that it'll help to keep things dry . . .

Time will tell . . .

sm_shop313.jpg

And the result . . . I'm one very sore individual . . . Like I said, probably going to feel this in the morning

Probably for a couple days too . . . to boot . . .

More later . . .

Storms . . . leaks . . . Interesting week . . .

It's late, will post my update on the progress tomorrow . . .

Trying to continue to make progress as I'm waiting on my garage door to be delivered . . .

More later . . .

Week of chasing leaks, sealing gaps, progress and failures . . .

Quite the week . . . finished up the side wall temporary covering just in time for some rain . . .
Well . . . it was not "rain" it was a storm with gusts to 50 MPH . . . and my "quick" attempt at waterproofing the top peak . . .

Was a bust . . . my "hopes" . . . that it might work . . . were no match for those winds . . .
Had leaks like this almost the whole length of the wall . . . and for good reason . . . the wind blew most of the covering off
( no pics - it was NOT pretty . . . and it was not very functional - either )

sm_shop314.jpg

So - round 2 - after the first failure . . . got a bunch of re-work done, and even managed to get some "temp" lighting !

sm_shop315.jpg

Also went around the shop and was applying Liquid Nail on all the gaps - here between the studs and the siding
But it is also being done on any gaps between boards that I can find . . . to try and keep critter "out" . . .

sm_shop316.jpg

Next will be the radiant barrier that will help to prevent the heat transfer from the siding . . .

sm_shop317.jpg

Had a bunch of it all cut up and ready to go . . . and then I had a "better" idea . . . Don't know about better
Let's call it "another" idea . . . to help protect the lumber . . .

sm_shop318.jpg

Had about 1/2 of a 5 gallon pail ( ok, 20 liters ) of paint that I did not like in my house, and could not return
So it became "elected" to covering the studs to help protect the lumber in the shop . . .
One space - you can see where I added more liquid nail because I must have missed it the first time around . . .

sm_shop319.jpg

The remainder of the door wall, and around the corner to the side wall . . . 50' of wall to paint . . . oh, boy . . .

sm_shop320.jpg

Plugging my way through it . . . BUT . . . this was one of my "wins" . . . or, almost wins . . . I guess . . .
While I was painting, at night, with the lights, it started to rain, and hearing the rain on the metal roof was so cool !

Why did I say "almost" . . . because it was the first test of the re-work on the peak water sealing . . .
And I only had (2) very small leaks, that I'll be addressing this week ( and hopefully have that all behind me )
I do it nice because I do it thrice ( four ) ( even 5 ) times . . . till I get it right . . .

sm_shop321.jpg

As you saw before, the painting also help to "find" other spots (gaps) that were missed and nee more attention . . .

sm_shop322.jpg

As always . . . had to leave my trademark of my work on my project . . .

sm_shop323.jpg

Could only post 10 pictures . . . so I'll have to continue this in another post . . .

( Very soon ) . . .More later . . .

Painting and more progress . . .

While waiting on my garage door, I'm working on getting as much stuff done as I can . . .

Then it'll be time for to start . . . the shop "junk" transfer . . .

This is about the 1/3 point on the wall, all painted and radiant barrier installed . . .

sm_shop324.jpg

And the 2/3 point . . . also is the sealing of all the gaps between boards that I can find . . .
If I ever have a tornado here to contend with . . . I'll be spending my time in this shop, not my house . . .

sm_shop325.jpg

Also to note - the 6" space will be filled with insulation . . . and I'm leaning toward Rockwool . . .

Fiberglass insulation for 6" wall is rated at - R-19
Rockwool insulation for 6" wall is rated at R-23 ( ugh . . . and about 2x the cost too )

So, the rest of the week will be, painting (until I run out of paint - of "course" there's a paint shortage too )
Installation of the rest of the radiant barrier - plus cutting it all from 25' lengths for the back wall . . .
Figuring out a plan of attack for the (2) leaks . . .
I need to get a "person" door installed for access into this shop . . . still trying to figure that one out

And just waiting for my garage door to show up - if there's NOT a shortage on that too . . .

Oh, and to make it clear . . . when all the contents of the other "shop" is moved into here . . .
the other shop will be dismantled - and probably move elsewhere on the property . . .

More later . . .

None of my concern by I think your sheeting was trying to tell you something.... Kinda late at this point but might be good to know as your build continues....

sm_shop295.jpg

None of my concern by I think your sheeting was trying to tell you something.... Kinda late at this point but might be good to know as your build continues....

View attachment 1221953

I know . . . I saw it . . . and it did NOT make any sense . . . and moving the walls was not likely going to happen . . .

The odd thing is the front garage door wall reads perfectly plumb . . .

SO . . . the blocks have a slight tilt to them ? ? ?

What does BSH mean . . .

Interesting . . . nobody has asked what the BSH means . . . unless everyone already knows . . .

So here's my moniker for the fabrication projects . . . and any project that I build . .

upload_2022-1-10_21-6-7.png

Maybe you can "de-code" the meaning of BSH . . . from this . . .

More later . . .

What does BSH mean . . .

Interesting . . . nobody has asked what the BSH means . . . unless everyone already knows . . .

So here's my moniker for the fabrication projects . . . and any project that I build . .

View attachment 1221965

Maybe you can "de-code" the meaning of BSH . . . from this . . .

More later . . .
Big Sledge Hammer ? That's what I ***-umed it to be. :lol:

N31baQ&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.writeups.org%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2fSledge-Hammer-TV-series-Rasche.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back