• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally time to pull the trigger . . . starting on the New (much anticipated) SHOP - Build

Project Titus - More after work progress - making headway . . .

Once again, the after work escapades have help progress the move to completion . . .
Want to take this update to get people caught up on some things . . . fill in the blanks . .

Here's a pic of me moving the first tall wall with my truck . . . it was quite the task - I did have a helper for this.

sm_shop492.jpg

Even got the wall all the way down to the foundation . . . abut that's where things changed . . .
It was quite apparent the my "set-up" was not going to be able to work for a couple reasons
- my truck does not have the mobility that would be need to get the wall in place
- the wall was very heavy and I was worried about what "could" happen if this route was attempted
- the engine lift was not going to be able to lift the wall high enough to get it on the bolts . . .

So . . . it was time to resort to Plan B . . . after getting it almost there . . .

sm_shop493.jpg

Had to call in the big guns to assist with placing these wall . . . A neighbor assisted with this . . .
( had it done in about 15-20 minutes - cost me a 12 pack of beer and a pack of cigarettes )

sm_shop498.jpg

Now to get some other things corrected . . .

The shop was technically help down, although I said it was not . . . but it was only held in place with concrete nails
When the backhoe lifted this wall up . . . the pulled right through the wood . . . so it was not very good.

sm_shop494.jpg

If you look back a couple pictures, with my truck and the wall at the foundation
- there is a brace in the back of the wall - holding the wall so we could swap from my truck to the tractor
- Did not get the brace moved quite in time . . . and put it through one of my windows . . . Argh ! !

sm_shop495.jpg

Made some 1/4 steel plates, from some scrap galvanized metal . . . and put them on the bolts . . .
- some of the wood is old and had been wet - this adds a lot more purchase to hold this thing down
( and it being scraps . . . it was free . . . ) . . . well worth the effort and investment

sm_shop496.jpg

Now back to the days work . . .

Got the last bit of block wall done today , to keep moving forward on this project . . .

sm_shop497.jpg

Get them filled with concrete, a couple anchor bolts installed, run my Electrical conduits through the blocks and up into the wall

If you were paying attention, you can see the tractor marks in the grass ( even the pic above )
So as much as I wanted to get the walls done on my own . . . for safety reasons, help was brought in to assist . . .
MOST of the work was done on my own . . . but know your limitations . . .

More later . . .

Project Titus - Another day, another day closer to the move being done . . .

Just a little progress today, but getting me ready to get the final wall in place tomorrow . . .
Need a way to get the electrical into the shop - and to the panel box . . . Here's what I've done . . .

Got a hole drilled in the cinder block - for the conduit to pass through . . . will attach the LB to it . . .

sm_shop499.jpg

Got 2 90 degree bends . . . did a little heating and re-bending to make them fit in the cinder block
And get it to exit about where it needs to come out - the original 90 degree bends were not even close . . .

sm_shop500.jpg

Here's the "fabricated 90 degree bends that are now . . . very odd bending conduits . . .
But they will allow me to feed the wire through the cinderblocks and up into the wall . . .

sm_shop501.jpg

Showing the LB attached to the outside . . . that will go in place when I get the wire run to the shop . . . later . . .

sm_shop502.jpg

And . . . got the walls filled with concrete . . . ready for the sill plates . . . and the wall tomorrow ( maybe ? )

sm_shop503.jpg

Just a little nibble at it today, but preparation to get the last wall in place . . . and call it moved !
Originally the plan was for the end of last month . . . thought that was a bit too aggressive . . . but I tried

Looks like were closing in on the move being done - yes, I'll have more building to do and get the building dried in . . .

Just trying to knock out a little bit at a time . . . and keep moving forward . . .

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
A Titus story . . .

Several years ago, Titus was just a pup of 1-2 years old . . . we were out in the back yard enjoying the weather.
Found a box turtle . . . was looking at it and Titus wandered over to look and sniff it . . . didn't think much of it . . .

Wandered off to work on whatever project I was working on - and a little while later went to check on the turtle.
The turtle was gone . . . figured - wow it scurried out of there pretty quickly as it was nowhere in sight . . .

Then I turned my gaze on Titus, and he was looking sorta guilty . . .

Lifted up his lip and . . . you guessed it . . . found where the turtle disappeared to . . .

he had been carrying his new found "friend" around with him . . .

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

More later . . .

Project Titus - Had to try this and know . . . no way around it . . .

The last wall is all that's stopping me from calling this move done . . . so . . .
I have to know - CAN I move the wall and place it on the blocks myself . . .

Getting ready . . . get the sill plates fitting over the bolts and conduit . . .

sm_shop504.jpg

That turned out pretty good . . .

sm_shop505.jpg

Getting the wall in position . . . and ready for the placement . . .
First . . . need to get all the holes drilled in the bottom 2 x 4 . . . making measurements . . .

sm_shop506.jpg

The plan . . . tuck this corner in place . . . put on the washer and nut . . . and swing the other side into place . . .
Or . . . at least that's how I'm envisioning it in my mind . . .

sm_shop507.jpg

And . . . it could not have gone more smoothly . . . and all by myself too ! ! !

sm_shop510.jpg

The outer walls did splay out a bit . . . but that was my hope to allow the wall to swing into place . . .
Everything went great . . . could not have wished for more . . . Now the walls . . . and working solo . . .
Used a ratchet strap and a screw in hook - it didn't need much, just can't hold it and secure it . . .

sm_shop508.jpg

Couple of ratchets on the strap . . . and the wall easily moved into place . . . now it can be secured ! !

sm_shop509.jpg

The conduit feed through the bottom 2 x 4 lined up great too . . .

sm_shop511.jpg

Finally got the shop walls moved and secured in place . . . on the new foundation . . .

sm_shop512.jpg

Guess that's it . . . time to Call Project Titus - Completed ! ! ! Put a fork in it ! ! !

sm_shop513.jpg

Next will be the rebuilding of the roof . . . but the move is now completed . . .

On March 25 . . . I started the footings in this new location after clearing the land . . .
On May 3rd - I started stripping the insulation out of the building . . .
And on May 20 . . . the building is completely moved . . .

That's 17 days to completely remove the roofing, plywood, trusses, dismantle the building and get it moved.
( and that includes losing my puppy dog in the middle of it . . . sure miss him . . . )

Not too shabby ! ! !

More later . . .

sm_shop510-jpg.jpg

Gee.....that looks familiar somehow.....

Gtufgjfyukfukgfuguiggigy.jpg

:lol:

Nice work Larry....that was a pretty slick relocation you pulled off there.....congrats. :thumbsup:

Is your plan to drop the people door down or build the base up and pour a slab near the top of the block?

Next step . . . roof trusses to put the roof back on this thing . . .

Now that the walls are all in place, it's ready for the roof trusses - however . . .
It did not have "real" trusses - just 2 - half trusses nailed to 2x4's at the top and bottom . . .
So . . . I'll be taking the 2 - half trusses and making them into a true truss . . . ( or that's the plan )

Spent most of the day, running around looking for supplies, returning stuff I got and didn't like.
And trying to find the best stuff, and way, to get these things built in my true BSH fashion . . .

Took (2) of the 4 x 8 sheets of plywood and got them ripped on the table saw into 1' shares and other shapes
- these will add the structural support at the joints where the pieces meet

Good news . . . got this wonderful slab to use for assembling the trusses . . . first the layout . . .
- the 2 x 4 in the center is to replace the ones that were there, top and bottom, that they were nailed into.
- after I got the layout - ran a string from the bottom outside points to find where they were level . . .
- next step - added 3/4" of preload to the bottom of the truss
- one it was all set up, marked the corners, the bottom preload location, and all the cross members on the pad

sm_shop514.jpg

This is layout that I'm going to use . . . should work out just fine . . .

sm_shop515.jpg

After a lot of running around, cutting plywood and getting ready . . . actually got 2 done . . .
Only 14 more to do and they'll be ready to get installed . . .
- the first one had a piece cut out to allow access to the attic - that had to be fixed in the first truss

sm_shop516.jpg

The bad news . . . the weather is slated for rain for the whole week here . . .
- at least I'm not waking up to SNOW like my brother did in Denver Colorado . . . he can have it and keep it !

Not sure when I'll be able to work on these trusses . . . but I'll try and get them squeezed in as I can find time.
Really wish I had it in the dry already . . . but . . . it is what it is . . . one step at a time . . .

More later . . .

Is your plan to drop the people door down or build the base up and pour a slab near the top of the block?

Added the block to gain additional ceiling height in the building . . . the door will be moved down.

Or . . .

due to getting mice in the building, figured if I let the snakes in too, they would take care of things . . .

LOL

Since your just lowering the door down to the new floor height rather than making a patch for above maybe look for a window and install it as a clerestory design directly above the door... .02

Putting up the roof . . .

This weekend is slated to "try" and get some (if not all) of the roof back on this building.
The weather (hope I don't jinx it) shows no rain for the next 3 days . . .

To make the trusses "somewhat" uniform in size and shape . . . I drew the plans on my concrete slab . . .

sm_shop517.jpg

Was able to work on a couple - could only get 1 built after work . . . and rain was always possible this week

sm_shop518.jpg

Spent part of today getting, preparing, and cutting a bunch supplies - think I've got everything I need now
- - - second thought - will probably need more screws as I bought out the store . . .

sm_shop519.jpg

Found this to be a pretty good way of moving these things . . . but 19' makes it dodge the trees . . .

sm_shop520.jpg

Pre staging . . . the first roof truss . . . ready to get it up in place . . .

sm_shop521.jpg

This part was a bit tricky . . . but I got it done . . . now "just swing it up into position" . . . right . . . .

sm_shop522.jpg

Actually . . . that's exactly the way the thing went . . . just had to come up with a "plan" . . .

sm_shop523.jpg

Wow . . . 1 down . . . and only 15 more to go . . . but some still need to be built . . . yet . . .

sm_shop524.jpg

Got 5 more completed, and already pre-staged . . .and ready to get put up into place . . .
Now that I've got the first one done . . . "maybe" these will go a little faster . . . NO Promises . . .

sm_shop525.jpg

And in the process of working on this . . . found some other areas that are in need of a little repair . . .

sm_shop526.jpg

Got a long 3 day weekend . . . and I'll swap between building them . . . and installing them . . .
And "hopefully" . . . get to installing some of the decking on the top, will be reusing the plywood that came off.

Actually remembered to number them so that they can go back in the same spots . . . (same with the trusses)

Going to be a busy weekend . . .

Even though it's "just" a moved shop, I can't just throw it up, I'm working on truing things up, making them more structurally sound, adding hurricane straps (that were not there in the first place), and just trying to make this better than it was . . . and make it last . . .

More later . . .

just make a taller door lol

Even thought of that . . . thing is, I'm pretty tall, so that door would be really nice ! ! ! Don't think that I didn't already consider that as an option . . .

I have found having a hand truck is one of the handiest old man tools around..
Just keep the air pressure up enough for the load. I use mine all the time.

Nice work Larry. :thumbsup: That shop will be all trussed up like a Thanksgiving Turkey in no time at all. :lol:

Long weekend - tickler - How far did the project progress . . .

With the long weekend . . . had a chance to make some good progress . . . at least one would hope . . .

Truss #1 installed . . .

sm_shop523.jpg

Truss #2 installed . . .

sm_shop527.jpg

Truss #3 installed . . .

sm_shop528.jpg

Truss #4 installed . . .

sm_shop529.jpg

How far was I able to get on this project this weekend . . . keep watching . . .

More later . . .

Thanks for posting, I learned a lot. I wish we'd get our young ones out to learn this stuff (and a work ethic) instead of communism.

Great weekend . . . but this week has been . . . well . . . interesting . . .

Let me tell you a story . . . first about the past weekend . . .

The results of the long weekend of work was amazing, and I'll have to tell the truth
Had a friend, that calls me "his older brother that he never had" . . . wanted to help . . .
And help he did . . . he learned a LOT and he helped a LOT too.
Without all of his help, the project never would have gotten this far.

First of all . . . All 16 of the roof trusses have been completed, installed, and secured in place.

sm_shop531.jpg

The first piece of plywood was installed . . . after a little set-back - they got some mold on them
They were washed with a 3-1 Clorox/Water mix, and brushed it all off . . .

sm_shop532.jpg

Got a plan figured out . . . and continued with getting the first 6 pieces (of 12) on the back of the building . . .

sm_shop533.jpg

Another view of the progress . . .

sm_shop534.jpg

While working on the project, saw this very cool view and wanted to share it with everyone . . .

sm_shop535.jpg

My last trip to Virginia . . .

My daughter/son-in-law are moving to Florida and I get to play mover . . . headed up to VA Tuesday after work . . .
- got rear ended on the drive up ( more details later )
- spent 8 hours packing the house into a truck
- 3 hour drive back home to get a good night's sleep (my daughter and grandkids too)
- get home a 11 PM and the A/C is not working . . .

Gotta get some sleep - she does not know it yet, I'm driving to Florida with her, not letting her drive alone with my grandkids !

More Later . . .

Move a building . . . detour . . . move a house to Florida . . .

Oh boy . . . had a little side detour this past week, moving my daughter to Florida.
One might think . . . driving 12 hours in the car with a 2 1/2 and 9 month old . . . might be "fun"

But the trip was actually incredible, the girls were fantastic, except for 15-20 near the end,
after being in the car for 11 hours . . . the little one started crying.
Rocked her car seat in the back seat while I was driving . . . and in 5 minutes she was out cold and sleeping . . .
Incredible trip ! !

Accident:

Driving up to Virginia, after work Tuesday after work, was re-ended by a guy in a Toyota truck . . .
- he literally just drove into the back of my truck ! ! No brakes . . .
- saw him appear in my rearview mirror, and thought he's approaching . . . BAM ! ! ! . . . kinka quickly
- items in the mirror are much closer than they appear ( not in this case )
- he was trying to move from the fast lane, through the next lane over ( where I was ), to the lane to my right
- had my cruise control on, doing 75 MPH, just minding my own business . . . and he ran into my truck ! ! !

Moved her out of a house in Virginia, where I had done some home modifications . . . here's the end result
( need to do a thread on this - show you how it started, and how it got to here . . . )
You could not see that fireplace from the front door with the original floor plan . . .

sm_shop536.jpg

Little detour has been completed . . . now back to the project at hand . . . getting a roof on this building . . .
this panel . . . to say the least . . . is not in very good shape and will need to be replaced . . .

sm_shop537.jpg

Trying to get the front of this building done - got rain in the forecast for Wednesday . . . and would like it covered

sm_shop538.jpg

All of the good pieces of the roof decking are now in place . . . the missing (2) pieces are in less than desirable shape

sm_shop539.jpg

The top 2 are the bad panels . . .
After getting it all together - went to unload some things from my truck . . . and a 4 x 8 sheet of OSB
( left overs from my daughters house - so I grabbed them and brought them home with me )

So . . . time for some roof decking Tetris . . . ( the bottom sheet was removed from the roof )

The plan . . .

- use the bottom sheet to cut the bigger piece of decking - get it whole and complete
- use the middle sheet to cut the smaller piece of decking - get it whole
- the top sheet will be saved in case it's needed elsewhere . . .

sm_shop540.jpg

Here's the cuts . . . the scraps . . . and the good "replacement" panels for the roof

sm_shop541.jpg

Which allowed me to get the whole front of the building roof completed today . .

sm_shop542.jpg

After showing you this . . . and looking at the project . . . the right side was dismantled to investigate a problem
Still trying to figure out how the roof right side is a bit out of kilter . . .

Long week . . . lots done . . . my daughter has been moved.
- got her washer/dryer set up and in working order
- got her fridge put back together (doors had to come off to get it out of the old house)
- got some of the bigger things moved around for her
- and a great week spending time with my granddaughters . . . worth it's weight in GOLD

And now . . . back on the project at hand . . . and making even more progress . . . I'm wore out . . .

More later . . .

Now protected from rain . . . I hope . . .

Got the tar paper on the roof of this building to protect it . . .

sm_shop543.jpg

Got "most" of the right side fixed, still got a section in the back, very bottom, that still needs some attention.

Plan on ordering the new metal roof for this today or tomorrow . . .

More Later . . .

That building looks even smaller sitting out there by itself.

Yeah . . . it kinda does . . . but inside it looks so much bigger
- taller ceilings
- no center support blocking the middle of the shop
- and my "new" doggie door to fit my next Great Dane . . .

And . . . plans are to move some other things down in that area . . . keep watching . . .

More Later . . .

Here's the details of the accident . . . and truck damage . . .

Not too bad as he hit the receiver and it took the blunt of the force . . .

Don't think that it's supposed to be pointing in that direction . . .

sm_shop544.jpg

Under the truck and the frame rails . . . folded up quite a bit . . .

sm_shop545.jpg

Really wonder how fast he was driving and he never hit his brakes . . .

sm_shop546.jpg

folded it up pretty good . . . wow . . . amazing . . .

sm_shop547.jpg

Don't think it's supposed to be looking like that either . . . what do you think ? ?

sm_shop548.jpg

Got the estimate from the insurance company so I can get started on fixing it now . . .

More Later . . .

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back