• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally time to pull the trigger . . . starting on the New (much anticipated) SHOP - Build

Does your local dump accept stumps?
Out here, you have to break them into segments so they don’t resemble a stump.

Been a bit busy this week . . . lots of progress on things . . . Lots to report . . .

Trying to get back to the shop build but this firewood building is in the way and has to be moved . . .

Got all of the cross members removed from the structure . . . the things that held the wood off the ground . . .

sm_shop715.jpg

Which left me with this "mess" . . . and being built BSH . . . the 4x6s have rebar in then to hold the concrete . . .

sm_shop716.jpg

So I came up with a plan . . . Plan A . . . Grabbed the floor jack and a very big 6x6 and a chain . . .
The plan was to use physics . . . fulcrums . . . and try to use leverage to get them pulled . . .

sm_shop717.jpg

And it worked . . . 1 down and only 3 to go . . . The mosquitos were trying to carry me off and drain my blood !

sm_shop718.jpg

The second one was very interesting . . . always joke about the Carolina clay being like concrete when it dries . . .
This being under cover for 3 years . . . look at how it's buckling and the concrete is being pulled out of the ground . . .

sm_shop719.jpg

Had a minor issue with the last one . . . no more posts to use as the support for the other side . . .
So . . . just grabbed one of the concrete slugs and put it to use . . . before I broke all the concrete off . . .

sm_shop720.jpg

Busted off all the concrete . . . and now you can see the rebar that was put into the 4x6s . . .

sm_shop721.jpg

Here's all the disassembled parts - in the moved shop - awaiting the building to be moved and rebuilt . . .
Seems like I'm moving a whole lot of stuff . . . too bad I didn't get it in a good place in the first place . . .
Live . . . and learn . . .

sm_shop722.jpg

Cleanup, or should I saw cutting is coming to an end as most of the stuff has now been cut up . . .
awaiting the moving of the building, so it can all be moved and restacked to help it dry . . .

sm_shop723.jpg

Waling the dog one morning . . . as I stepped into the spot lights, these (2) hawk feather were right there . . .

Interesting . . . Native Americans believe that if you're left a feather by a Hawk it's a omen of good luck.
( I've got a pretty big collection of these feather . . . every one that they have left me . . . )

sm_shop724.jpg

Hoping to make some progress on the firewood building move this weekend . . . it's holding me up !

More Later . . .

Been a bit busy this week . . . lots of progress on things . . . Lots to report . . .

Trying to get back to the shop build but this firewood building is in the way and has to be moved . . .

Got all of the cross members removed from the structure . . . the things that held the wood off the ground . . .

View attachment 1343853

Which left me with this "mess" . . . and being built BSH . . . the 4x6s have rebar in then to hold the concrete . . .

View attachment 1343854

So I came up with a plan . . . Plan A . . . Grabbed the floor jack and a very big 6x6 and a chain . . .
The plan was to use physics . . . fulcrums . . . and try to use leverage to get them pulled . . .

View attachment 1343855

And it worked . . . 1 down and only 3 to go . . . The mosquitos were trying to carry me off and drain my blood !

View attachment 1343856

The second one was very interesting . . . always joke about the Carolina clay being like concrete when it dries . . .
This being under cover for 3 years . . . look at how it's buckling and the concrete is being pulled out of the ground . . .

View attachment 1343857

Had a minor issue with the last one . . . no more posts to use as the support for the other side . . .
So . . . just grabbed one of the concrete slugs and put it to use . . . before I broke all the concrete off . . .

View attachment 1343858

Busted off all the concrete . . . and now you can see the rebar that was put into the 4x6s . . .

View attachment 1343859

Here's all the disassembled parts - in the moved shop - awaiting the building to be moved and rebuilt . . .
Seems like I'm moving a whole lot of stuff . . . too bad I didn't get it in a good place in the first place . . .
Live . . . and learn . . .

View attachment 1343860

Cleanup, or should I saw cutting is coming to an end as most of the stuff has now been cut up . . .
awaiting the moving of the building, so it can all be moved and restacked to help it dry . . .

View attachment 1343861

Waling the dog one morning . . . as I stepped into the spot lights, these (2) hawk feather were right there . . .

Interesting . . . Native Americans believe that if you're left a feather by a Hawk it's a omen of good luck.
( I've got a pretty big collection of these feather . . . every one that they have left me . . . )

View attachment 1343862

Hoping to make some progress on the firewood building move this weekend . . . it's holding me up !

More Later . . .
Those look like turkey feathers? Tail feathers from a male. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure.

So the question is . . . did the firewood structure get moved this weekend . . .

Time to find out . . . that was my plan, to finally get that thing moved and out of my way . . .
But . . . did I bite off too much for this weekend . . . Oh boy . . .

First . . . the prep work had to get done . . . got the backyard cleaned up for the move . . .

sm_shop725.jpg

Got the supports cut off near the ground, and added a whole bunch of cross bracing to hold it together . . .
Had thought about pulling the concrete out of the ground . . . gave up on that idea pretty quickly . . .

sm_shop726.jpg

The cross bracing was "supposed" to help hold this thing all together and give it support for the move . . .
But . . . what was "my plan" for actually getting this thing moved . . . .

sm_shop727.jpg

First on the agenda . . . can this structure even be "lifted" . . . so that it "can" be moved . . .
And the answer is . . . . . . . . apparently . . . yes . . .

sm_shop728.jpg

Got the rear of the building lifted and set on some "conveniently" available tree stumps . . . for a solid basis

sm_shop729.jpg

When the cherry picker is not lifting walls, it's being used to move full structures . . . it's not only for engines . . .

sm_shop730.jpg

Now for the plan . . . slide the trailer under the building, resting the 6x6s on the trailer side walls . . . and move it . . .
Sounds . . . "easy" enough . . . ( one would think ) . . . .

sm_shop731.jpg

Getting the trailer into position was fun with all the stumps and jacks in the way . . .

sm_shop732.jpg

But . . . we have success . . . and the structure was resting on the trailer . . . well . . . almost . . .

sm_shop733.jpg

just another view . . . this structure was "just a little bit bigger than the trailer . . .
The first post of the structure was actually outside of the trailer sides . . . but it worked . . .

sm_shop734.jpg

Now, with the prep work all done . . . onto phase 2 of the project . . . the move . . . Can it get moved ? ? ?

This prep work went amazingly smooth and pretty quickly . . . And a big Thanks to Craig who helped out all day !

More Later . . .

The move . . . can this firewood structure be moved on the property . . .

Time to see more details . . .

Next piece of the puzzle . . . wheel in the Jeep to get this trailer moved with the structure sitting on top of it . . .
Have I mentioned that I've wanted one of these thigs for many, many years . . . and I love it and put it to use . . .

sm_shop735.jpg

Time for the move, or the attempt at the move . . . building is strapped down to the trailer . . .
Structures in place to help ( hopefully ) hold it's shape for the move . . . . time to find out . . . . no time like the present . . .

sm_shop736.jpg

First possible point of contention . . . actually - multiple points . . . is the lean-to behind my old building and cedar tree . . .
( why do you think I've been delaying this for so long - and trying to concoct a plan to make this happen )
The structure actually does move on the trailer . . . and time for first concerns . . .

sm_shop737.jpg

Was able to get the trailer over far enough to clear the tree . . . but how are we doing on the lean-to . . .
The roof design for keeping rain off my back . . . might actually be to my benefit . . .

sm_shop738.jpg

Here's a close up picture of the structure overhang . . . and the clearance on the lean-to . . . can you say "inches" . . . .

sm_shop739.jpg

The back of the trailer is actually lower than the front . . . it might have actually hit on the way across the top . . .
Will have to go back to the top of the lean-to and see if there are any green marks left up there from our pass . . .

sm_shop740.jpg

Amazingly enough . . . this part of the move went fairly quickly, and I was quite surprised . . .
Craig's help on the directions, while I was driving the Jeep were spot on and "priceless" . . .
that's probably a lot of the reason that this part of the move went so smoothly . . .

sm_shop741.jpg

Very cool shot . . . that firewood structure sitting in the middle of my backyard . . . on a trailer . . .

sm_shop742.jpg

My inspector . . . he's got to be wondering, NOW what is this guy UP TO today . . . .

sm_shop743.jpg

Once we cleared the lean-to, the move across the yard was very un-eventful . . . expected a lot worse . . .
But, for once, was pleasantly surprised by the concocted plan and it's progress . . .

More Later . . . .

Only one piece left in the puzzle . . . getting this structure to it's new resting place . . .

The hard part is done . . . or is it . . .

Didn't really pay too much attention to this part of the move . . . was worried about the lean-to . . .
But this part was about as difficult . . . correction . . . more difficult that the moving out part . . .

sm_shop744.jpg

Probably spent over an hour trying to get this thing maneuvered and properly through that very tight opening . . .
Truth be told . . . the building was hit 3 times in the process . . . it was such a tight fit . . .

sm_shop745.jpg

Get the Jeep out of the way . . . and it's time to work on getting the trailer out from under the structure . . .

sm_shop746.jpg

Believe it or not . . . ( I'm still not sure I can believe it ) . . . the structure has been relocated to it's new location . . .
Now the new base part of the structure can be figured out . . . designed . . . and build to hold this in place . . .
And hold all of my seasoning firewood . . .

sm_shop747.jpg

A final picture of the old spot . . . where it use to reside . . . and the cut off posts . . .
And in the background . . . are Belle and Titus resting places . . . Still need to build the bricks for Titus . . . soon.

sm_shop748.jpg

Was not too sure if this was going to get pulled of, and on top of that, get done in a single weekend . . .
Somehow . . . all the difficulties were resolved, one at a time, and progress kept moving us forward . . .

And now . . . at the end of the weekend . . . this task is "almost" put behind me . . .

More Later . . .

How do you do all this work and have time for all the typing and picture posting!! lol

........he has slacked off on his Mod time a bit to get the pics uploaded. lol
Who ? ! ? ! ?

Me ? ! ? ! ?

Something has to give . . . The pics and typing doesn't take that long . . .

Looks like it snowed at my house . . . what do you think ? ? ? ?

Finally broke down and got myself a new commercial grade chainsaw to help with the cutting.
And the verdict is in . . .

Holy Qwap ! ! !

This saw is a "beast" . . . and it made this huge oak tree a simple task . . .

View attachment 1342361

Look at the chips that this thing threw out . . . and bog down . . . No way ! ! !

View attachment 1342362

Went pretty big but it is well deserved and it'll really help with cutting part of firewood . . . for sure.

More Later . . .
Which Stihl model did you get?

Which Stihl model did you get?
Which Stihl Chainsaw model was purchased . . .

The one that I picked up . . . was . . .

MS 661 Magnum w/ 25" bar

7.2 HP
91.1 cc engine
fuel 27.9 oz.
oil 12.2 oz.
weight 16.3 pounds

While I'm on the subject of tools . . . added a new tool to the picture . . . and it's awesome !

This has quickly become one of my favorite tools . . .

sm_shop749.jpg

Probably used this thing 100 times during the woodshed move . . . ok, little exaggeration . . . but used it a LOT !

Unbelievable how easy it is to use, and how much it can do for you . . .

More Later . . .

They are great but they do hurt people that are not careful
I have one on my Jeep

Looks like it snowed at my house . . . what do you think ? ? ? ?

Finally broke down and got myself a new commercial grade chainsaw to help with the cutting.
And the verdict is in . . .

Holy Qwap ! ! !

This saw is a "beast" . . . and it made this huge oak tree a simple task . . .

View attachment 1342361

Look at the chips that this thing threw out . . . and bog down . . . No way ! ! !

View attachment 1342362

Went pretty big but it is well deserved and it'll really help with cutting part of firewood . . . for sure.

More Later . . .
At 92cc it better make light work out of just about anything, now where's the 36" bar so you can cut 2 at once?

Just got back to reading about your project after a couple of months - looks great!

Does your local dump accept stumps?
Out here, you have to break them into segments so they don’t resemble a stump.
We put tannerite in the stumps and have fun target practicing. It blows a lot of the dirt away, after a few rains it's clean enough to finish sawing up for firewood.

We put tannerite in the stumps and have fun target practicing. It blows a lot of the dirt away, after a few rains it's clean enough to finish sawing up for firewood.

Brilliant idea Devin . . . Now I'm off to the store to get me some Tannerite ! ! !

Auto Transport Service
Back