• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Find of the Day: This Rare 1967 Plymouth Belvedere II has a 426 Street Hemi

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:11 AM
Reaction score

Find of the Day: This Rare 1967 Plymouth Belvedere II has a 426 Street Hemi​

Tara Hurlin
05/21/2023
Find of the Day: This Rare 1967 Plymouth Belvedere II has a 426 Hemi

Comment: 1
In This Article

Technically, the Plymouth Belvedere II wasn’t readily available with a factory 426 Street Hemi, but records show that eight examples were special ordered with the impressive engine for 1967. According to the seller, this is one of those cars, and its especially unique for its added “A” and “B” Silver Special packages, which is where it gets its eye-catching Special Silver paint, Antique Silver interior and the silver vinyl roof. Documented numbers reveal that this car is a true and distinctive one-of-one Mopar muscle car.

The 426 Hemi is arguably the most legendary big-block V8 of the muscle car era. A rare and powerful competitor on the street and the race track, it dominated several racing series during the 1960s and early- ‘70s, including NASCAR and the NHRA. For the 1967 Plymouth Belvedere model year, a “J’ appearing as the fifth character on the VIN indicates a car originally built with the 426-cid. Hemi V8 from the factory. The seller, who has owned the car for 13 years and drove it sparingly to car shows, says this Belvedere II’s engine appears to be a correct 426 replacement, with a block that is believed to be dated for 1969. The rebuilt engine has just 500 miles and is matched with a 727 TorqueFlite three-speed automatic transmission.

According to the Hemmings Auction listing, the Mopar is well documented and includes research evidence, the original broadcast sheet, a Certi-card and more. A signed letter from a DaimlerChrysler Corporation Archives Manager reads, “According to the serial number that you have provided, RH23J71185769, your vehicle is a 1967 Plymouth Belvedere II equipped with a 426 cubic inch Hemi engine. Officially the 426 Hemi was not an available option in the Belvedere II that year. I believe that your vehicle was a special order by a Chrysler employee or dealer.”

More pictures in link .............

Fantastic!
I do have a question for the experts, though...
The description says "...this Belvedere II’s engine appears to be a correct 426 replacement,
with a block that is believed to be dated for 1969."
If the engine is from a different model year, what exactly makes it a "correct 426 replacement"?
I mean, other than the fact it is a hemi at all....

What a beauty. Take off the emlems and go looking for Ghosts to punch out.

Looks like a decent car. A local friend of mine is a bidder ,,,just not high bidder.
I will wait to see if he ups his bid at the end

Fantastic!
The description says "...this Belvedere II’s engine appears to be a correct 426 replacement,
If the engine is from a different model year, what exactly makes it a "correct 426 replacement"?

I believe that means it's warranty or other short block built in 1969 to 1967 specs, stocked as a replacement.

This car was the subject of a couple of features in Mopar Muscle in the '90's. Was owned in Vancouver, Washington, then.

Here is a question. Is this specially optioned 1967 Hemi Belvedere II worth more or less than a 1967 Hemi GTX? Plus side; it is likely a one-of-one car with the options it has, coupled with the fact that a Hemi was supposedly not available on anything but a GTX. At a quick glance,it looks like a GTX, because the unique outside trim was part of the Silver Special package. If it were my car, I likely would have added the GTX flip fuel cap as well. Minus side; it is not a GTX, with all the status that goes with that. No bucket seat interior or fake hood scoops.
Just looking for opinions. I know they are like dead-beat brothers-in-law; everyone has one!

Good question for sure. I prefer the first year GTX and all it's cool features but this car is super rare and wasn't supposed to be available.

Auction ended,
owners asking price is $104 k

Hard to say if thats overpriced or right on for a car thats not supposed to exist. Probably truely a 1 of 1

I owned a 1967 Silver Special identical to this in 1975. I was not aware
that it is a one out of one car.

Yes Sir it was indeed.
I bought it at the LA Dealers Auction
for my Dealership in Fullerton California where it was sold retail.
I bought and sold dozens if not hundreds of
Muscle cars at that store.

Fun Days!

As I recall the 67 and 69 Street Hemi specs were the same
with the exception of the camshaft which I believe was a bit
more duration on the 68/69 than 66/67.

The 70/71 was more different with a Hydraulic Camshaft rather
than solid. My 70 would fall off about 62/6300 (I believe Valve float)
while the solid would run 6800 without any float.

Last edited:
Here is a question. Is this specially optioned 1967 Hemi Belvedere II worth more or less than a 1967 Hemi GTX? Plus side; it is likely a one-of-one car with the options it has, coupled with the fact that a Hemi was supposedly not available on anything but a GTX. At a quick glance,it looks like a GTX, because the unique outside trim was part of the Silver Special package. If it were my car, I likely would have added the GTX flip fuel cap as well. Minus side; it is not a GTX, with all the status that goes with that. No bucket seat interior or fake hood scoops.
Just looking for opinions. I know they are like dead-beat brothers-in-law; everyone has one!
I know most would consider it a sacrilege, but I prefer the Belvedere II in 67 over the GTX looks-wise... Its cleaner; never liked those 'scoops'. Now, having said that, I would certainly prefer to own a GTX now, given the way things are. But if I had a time machine that put me in a Plymouth dealer in 67, this is pretty close to what I would order...
Just my $.02

Find of the Day: This Rare 1967 Plymouth Belvedere II has a 426 Street Hemi​

Tara Hurlin
05/21/2023
View attachment 1469685

Comment: 1
In This Article

Technically, the Plymouth Belvedere II wasn’t readily available with a factory 426 Street Hemi, but records show that eight examples were special ordered with the impressive engine for 1967. According to the seller, this is one of those cars, and its especially unique for its added “A” and “B” Silver Special packages, which is where it gets its eye-catching Special Silver paint, Antique Silver interior and the silver vinyl roof. Documented numbers reveal that this car is a true and distinctive one-of-one Mopar muscle car.

The 426 Hemi is arguably the most legendary big-block V8 of the muscle car era. A rare and powerful competitor on the street and the race track, it dominated several racing series during the 1960s and early- ‘70s, including NASCAR and the NHRA. For the 1967 Plymouth Belvedere model year, a “J’ appearing as the fifth character on the VIN indicates a car originally built with the 426-cid. Hemi V8 from the factory. The seller, who has owned the car for 13 years and drove it sparingly to car shows, says this Belvedere II’s engine appears to be a correct 426 replacement, with a block that is believed to be dated for 1969. The rebuilt engine has just 500 miles and is matched with a 727 TorqueFlite three-speed automatic transmission.

According to the Hemmings Auction listing, the Mopar is well documented and includes research evidence, the original broadcast sheet, a Certi-card and more. A signed letter from a DaimlerChrysler Corporation Archives Manager reads, “According to the serial number that you have provided, RH23J71185769, your vehicle is a 1967 Plymouth Belvedere II equipped with a 426 cubic inch Hemi engine. Officially the 426 Hemi was not an available option in the Belvedere II that year. I believe that your vehicle was a special order by a Chrysler employee or dealer.”

More pictures in link .............

[/URL]
tell that to Kng Richard...

Fantastic!
I'd like to offer the seller my std bore, never damaged '66 Hemi block with no VIN #'s in trade for his block.

Auto Transport Service
Back