• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fire Extinguisher placement

If you are going to carry one, it should be visible. Along with other things in any vehicle, in an accident, it's a projectile, and really should mounted, that's why they usually come with mounts.

My 67 is a bench seat car, both myself and my wife drive it.
So that seat does get adjusted at times.
So that puts ours in the trunk. Granted not the best location but I do carry one.

I was wondering where do you guys mount your fire extinguisher is your vehicl? I currently keep mine in the truck because id had to drill holes in the floor pan on my 71 rr to install the mounting bracket. Im thinking the trunk isn’t really a good place to store it because the gas tank is right under the trunk and if the gas tank caught on fire it wouldnt be impossible to get the extinguisher.

You're correct. If it takes a long time to get to it, it's not particularly useful.
It's also best if you have the ability to use it when unable to see it, and also unable to breathe because of smoke.

I fabricated a bracket and welded it to the floor, it's directly underneath my right hand, and I don't need to look at it
to pop the latch, grab the extinguisher and exit the vehicle. The mounting holes I needed were drilled in the bracket instead of the floor.

fire extinguisher.JPG

Glove box for me. From 20 years experience on my local V.F.D., I have a few car fire horror stories. ALWAYS carry an extinguisher in your car. Not just your collector car; fire does not care about the age of your car.

Auto Transport Service
Back