• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fire Extinguisher placement

pjm8047

Local time
1:25 AM
Reaction score
I was wondering where do you guys mount your fire extinguisher is your vehicl? I currently keep mine in the truck because id had to drill holes in the floor pan on my 71 rr to install the mounting bracket. Im thinking the trunk isn’t really a good place to store it because the gas tank is right under the trunk and if the gas tank caught on fire it wouldnt be impossible to get the extinguisher.

I was wondering where do you guys mount your fire extinguisher is your vehicl? I currently keep mine in the truck because id had to drill holes in the floor pan on my 71 rr to install the mounting bracket. Im thinking the trunk isn’t really a good place to store it because the gas tank is right under the trunk and if the gas tank caught on fire it wouldnt be impossible to get the extinguisher.
I recommend you run as fast as you can if the gas tank is on fire!
Maybe a bracket off the seat frame? Or a bracket using the seat thru floor stud/studs?
Mike

I agree with Mike.. If that tank is on fire I don't want to be anywhere close! I have my extinguisher mounted on the driver side inner fender housing just below the trunk lid hinge. To me it is most quickly accessible in needed.

Halotron In Trunk.JPG

I need to get a new one as the old needs a recharge. I just keep mine wedged between the drivers seat and the center buddy seat and center hump. I didn't want to drill any holes for a bracket mount. Good Luck

I have one mounted in the trunk and one mounted inside the interior.

For my current '72 BBody and '65 Abodies, I keep mine in a small box either on the floor of the rear seat or on the floor of the front passenger seat. Back in the '70's for my '65 Valiant four-door bracket racer, I mounted a fire extinguisher in plain sight right on the passenger side pillar between the front and rear doors. If you zoom onto the photo below, you can make out the extinguisher just to the left of the dash mounted tachometer.

65 Valiant1 edited.jpg

I keep a small halon extinguisher in the glove box. Probably not enough for a major fuel fire, but might put out an electrical fire. Car has been together for a long time with no issues and is well-maintained so it's cheap insurance for what I hope is a low probability event.

20230615_220953.jpg

A common location back in the day ( And where I have mine mounted ) is under the dash on the passenger side, or on the hump facing the passenger side.

In my trucks, I have one mounted on the PS kick panel, easy to reach.

It needs to be quickly accessible not only to you but if you are injured, by someone else. It could save your life.
Like having a home invasion and your gun is locked in the safe and your ammo is somewhere else. Not much good....

It needs to be within easy access, and that's not the trunk. Mine is right behind drivers seat.

Wherever you mount it KEEP AN EYE on it as the can Overcharge. I had a big clean-up job from 2 large household units that blew making a yellow mesh of 2 entire bedrooms. I could not imagine what the inside of a car would look like...

For my current '72 BBody and '65 Abodies, I keep mine in a small box either on the floor of the rear seat or on the floor of the front passenger seat. Back in the '70's for my '65 Valiant four-door bracket racer, I mounted a fire extinguisher in plain sight right on the passenger side pillar between the front and rear doors. If you zoom onto the photo below, you can make out the extinguisher just to the left of the dash mounted tachometer.

View attachment 1480179
A loose fire extinguisher is a dangerous projectile in an accident.

FYI , mine is under drivers seat , laying on carpet, with a velcro strap across it, and the strap catches the carpet for a very secure, attachment! The strap is 2” wide and never moves ! Halon !

Mine is in front of the pass seat. I can reach it easily and its not in my way.

Auto Transport Service
Back