• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fire extinguisher

Cornpatch MO

Local time
5:21 PM
Reaction score
I need one to carry in my car. Is there anything available that does not put out that white powder? There used to be those small Halon ones, but I hear they have been banned.
I heard a guy say he would not use the white powder ones , even if his engine was on fire. Reason? ----to messy to clean up ! Are you serious??????......................................MO

I have the small Halon strapped to the console and 2 others aboard. Have not heard of a ban.

Dennis - Where can you buy those halon extinguishers?
Don't remember, at a Show maybe Spring Fling 2 years ago. They can be pricey, buy I was still finding powder for years after an engine fire using a conventional. Had an unintended discharge in the interior. That was a mess. We have a plan, Linda grabs the Halon first, I shut off the battery.

Thx Bro. I'll look at Fall Fling. Maybe I'll get lucky....

Fire extinguisher....my 2 cents....if you have one in your car.....do you have one in your kitchen ??? What's more important?? car or family ?? Personally I don't see the point of a fire extinguisher in the car. But that's personal preference.

And for shows...there is one local show that demands one in a car...it's at a local volunteer fire department.

Don't need one??????

I'm with Trashdog67. I have them everywhere (including kitchen).

Thank God, never used them.

Just bought a Halon extinguisher from Jegs. Had a Jegs extinguisher in the car, but after seeing the stories of residue everywhere, Halon it is.

I have one in my garage and in my home near my kitchen. I go to Costco and buy them for my friends kitchens for Christmas...even offer to help install them.

Halon extinguishers have not been banned just the production of Halon so when the current supply is gone their gone (still a lot of Halon extinguishers around and if you don't have to use it they can be recertified by a professional and are good to go again). I got mine from the local fire extinguisher sales and service shop.

It only takes one fire or close call to know that you need an extinguisher onboard.

A quick good search has a ton of halon extinguishers for sale. I believe every auto racing organization banned the older type of halon because it was toxic plus it hurt the ozone. However, all the modern halon extinguishers have the newer chemical in it and are NHRA legal (of that's a concern for you).

Auto Transport Service
Back