• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Firewall Bulkhead Connector and Fuse Blox Terminal Cleaning Method

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:13 AM
Reaction score
So I am in the process of rebuilding my instrument harness and perform the MAD ammeter bypass mod. The fuse box and Bulkhead connectors are in good shape but the fuse terminals have some rust and and I want to do more than use circuit cleaner BUT I dont want to degrade the plastic or wire insulation for the wires that remain fixed to the fuse box.

Question is what is a good compound to clean the ruse off and get the terminals looking bright clean and allow for best continuity?

Evaporust? Metal Prep (phosphoric acid dilution)? etc?

Thanks!

I still prefer the simple soaking with DeOxIt. Flush several times, wipe with a cotton pipe cleaner. DeOxIt adds protection against oxidation.
Working on a 1965 imperial am fm radio recently. The am fm switch was oxidized black and measured 3K ohms continuity. Soaked overnight in DeOxIt and wiped with edge of cardboard business card and restored the operation.

I used these. Industrial diamond coated.

Hero_IPA-Diamond-Grip-Terminal-Cleaners.png

I have good success with this mixture using Balsamic vinegar at 6% and a lot of salt. I used a small brush on the connectors, they cleaned up great!! Make sure you use Dielectric grease on the connectors when you install them, that will keep the moisture from the connectors for years and you will have less problems with the bulkhead.

I still prefer the simple soaking with DeOxIt. Flush several times, wipe with a cotton pipe cleaner. DeOxIt adds protection against oxidation.
Working on a 1965 imperial am fm radio recently. The am fm switch was oxidized black and measured 3K ohms continuity. Soaked overnight in DeOxIt and wiped with edge of cardboard business card and restored the operation.
I forgot about that stuff Bill! I used it in restoring my old audio amp now if I can find it is another question lol. My house is small and full of car parts lol

I did my '63 with Evaporust. Soaked it a few days, rinsed in water bath, and then dipped in isopropyl alcohol. Came out decent, without a lot of work...

If you're talking about cleaning them , does that mean you couldn't find any at the places listed in your other thread?
--As a side note, I always use Kopr-Shield or No-Ox-Id when reconnecting electrical connections rather than regular dielectric grease. Superior protection and electrically conductive.

If you're talking about cleaning them , does that mean you couldn't find any at the places listed in your other thread?
--As a side note, I always use Kopr-Shield or No-Ox-Id when reconnecting electrical connections rather than regular dielectric grease. Superior protection and electrically conductive.
There is some rust that makes it more than just a cleaning thing. Other thread? It must have been in my previous life lol

Auto Transport Service
Back