• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Ever recorded in Maine! Great White

I'm wondering if the wet suit had anything to do with the attack....

Probably looked like an elephant seal.

Many times the “experts” call it all mistaken identity. Maine’s waters are green and filled with plankton and many times you can’t see 5 feet! There are other reports saying she was launched in the air. That might be a seal attack from a great white from below. The reports also say a partial tooth was recovered so they were able to ID as a great white! Air Jaws

I’ve seen 1 great white in the water in Maine in mid 90’s. We were just on a dive to explore off Acadia National Park. We were on bottom about 40 feet with visibility really good that day about 15-20 feet. It swam over head of us and no question it was a white. Damn near swallowed my regulator!

Air Jaws

Most shark attacks are from mistaken identity, so.........

A half white and half black shark that is called a Great White Shark visiting the Northeast. He must really feel privileged.

Wasn't NJ the 1st place to have a "recorded" Great White attack
like in 1916 or something
(could have been a Bull Shark org. even, bunch of stuff blamed on the GW's)

NJ that ain't "really very far", from Maine
that was more than 100 years ago,
their food/seals are abundant today,
if the prey/seals are there, the predators/sharks are probably too

they migrate all over the damn globe
just a lot more people seeing them, studying them
& swimming in waters with Great Whites
they probably have been in some of these places, for millennia,
just nobody saw them or were attacked by them "yet"

they've been seen as high up as south west Alaska, on the west coast

I'd bet they've been around for a long time
just no attacks or sightings

to bad for that lady,
my condolences goes out to the family, friends

I fear a Bull shark over a GW any day. Bulls can breathe in fresh water, so while you may think you’re safe, think again.

Wasn't NJ the 1st place to have a "recorded" Great White attack
like in 1916 or something
Yes there was an attack in NJ in 1916. stories from then say bull shark as it can manage in fresh / brackish waters where the Great White doesn’t. I’ve seen reports of both were culprit so?
However, what I was trying to say was this was Maine’s first ever recorded shark attack death. Just Maine’s. I may not have worded that well

I think we need a bigger boat!
So did they..
.:lol:

4B0C7D72-3957-4057-AE70-663F05CBA1C6.jpeg

I saw that on the news at lunch at work. Those CREEPY JERKS on 'The Five' (NEVER seen it before, WON'T EVER watch again!!!) were laughing and joking about it.
CD481799-5408-42F3-B480-73889D9DB9BA.jpeg

It's a tragedy & we are just snack food for them...
AD1F5809-37B8-4778-AA3B-A5502B01B2A6.jpeg
DE132D91-7CE3-427E-9AD4-9FEE06D9EA37.jpeg

That’s big F’n Shark!
There is a seal in the mouth of the top one.
I've seen them while fishing before they made the Farallon Islands an off-limits sanctuary.
I was glad I was on a boat bigger than them!
There is a research center on one of the islands now.
&
These guys are crazy!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back