• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First MOPAR resto in 20 years - Bumper Rechroming ???

John Hogan

Local time
2:06 AM
Reaction score
Hi all, back in the late 80's and early
00A0A_7tEHowScG5Oz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
01212_eDZKvxccjM8z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
01616_lohVCma6Ol8z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
00A0A_7tEHowScG5Oz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
01212_eDZKvxccjM8z_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg
90's I restored a 1968 and 1971 Road Runner. Sadly sold them in the 2000's and didn't think I would ever be able to buy another project car with the skyrocketing costs. Finally found a 1973 Road Runner for a price I could afford and the first thing I looked for was to get the bumpers straightened and rechromed. Living in Colorado there used to be several chrome shops but apparently thanks to the EPA they no longer exist. Any good advice as to where to get the bumpers straight and shiny?

apparently thanks to the EPA they no longer exist. Any good advice as to where to get the bumpers straight and shiny?

I hear you. My father in law used to restore aluminum trim for years and did really well. He had to stop because all the plating companies stopped doing the anodizing he needed done after the trim was buffed.

Good luck

As I'm sure you already know you should probably sit down before getting a quote.... That said I'm in California & the last couple sets of bumpers I've sent to Tri-city Plating... Good work, decent price, no drama..

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 8.22.09 AM.png

Welcome to FBBO from Illinois! Haven't done business with any chrome shops but a bunch of them pop up if you search "west coast bumper rechroming" This is one of them, http://www.bumperboyz.com/ ..... Good luck finding something that won't bust your budget!

Welcome to FBBO from Illinois! Haven't done business with any chrome shops but a bunch of them pop up if you search "west coast bumper rechroming" This is one of them, http://www.bumperboyz.com/ ..... Good luck finding something that won't bust your budget!

Bumperboyz has a reputation.... Not a good one.... Nuff Said...

Agree with Tri-City they did both my Chargers and my Power Wagon. Nice work. My 74's were done a few months ago for $525 each but probably gone up a bit since then. Email Chip and he will send you a quote for yours.

IF I ever get my bumper for the '64 I'll give you the guys name in California. The wrong, '61 Ford, I currently have on the bench looks DAMN nice! Triple chromed the old way. How they're doing it in CA is the mystery.. lol

Bumperboyz has a reputation.... Not a good one.... Nuff Said...
I was talking to my neighbor about chrome stripping as he is an old hot rod/biker guy with lots of contacts. He had unkind things to say about Bumperboyz too.

Bumper Boyz not good quality.....I'd send ten sets to tricity plating in Tennessee good quality they stand behind their work a rarity in today's world :thumbsup:

No way on The Bumper Boyz, the internet is full of complaints about these guys, totally hit or miss. Tri-City did the chrome on my 64' and it's about as perfect as i could hope for. For you guys needing pot metal chromed try R&D in the same town , right down the street from Tri-city

Hi all, back in the late 80's and early View attachment 1215055 View attachment 1215056 View attachment 1215057 View attachment 1215055 View attachment 1215056 90's I restored a 1968 and 1971 Road Runner. Sadly sold them in the 2000's and didn't think I would ever be able to buy another project car with the skyrocketing costs. Finally found a 1973 Road Runner for a price I could afford and the first thing I looked for was to get the bumpers straightened and rechromed. Living in Colorado there used to be several chrome shops but apparently thanks to the EPA they no longer exist. Any good advice as to where to get the bumpers straight and shiny?
If you want to.ship to Florida Spacecoast plating in Melbourne, Florida. All the contact info is on the net. I had my bumpers straightened. I had them powder coated, but the quality work was still there.

Last edited:
The chrome shop here in california that did the most recent work for me (nicely done... and relatively inexpensive) is LONG gone.
I am gonna buy amd repops for my 57 Chevy, and 69 roadrunner. I'm guessing there are no repops for your 73. Chrome dipping has dipped in quality, and skyrocketed in price.

You get what you pay for. I think too many people expect Tri-City quality at Bumper Boyz price and then they bitch about it when they get the product. A friend of mine just got a rear bumper for a '65 Impala he's doing and he's 100% satisfied with what he got for his money. It's not perfect show chrome but for anything less than a trailer queen its ok. I'm pretty picky but I thought its looked fine too. Seriously, do you want to spend $3000 on a pair of items that dangle out each end of a vehicle you actually want to drive!

welcome to FBBO

Stockton Bumper (Stockton Ca.) possibly
they use to do a shitload, quality too, not cheap crap
I'm not sure they are even still in business thou

Auto Transport Service
Back