• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Super Bee built?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know how i missed the begiining 3 pgs., but i conversed with Mr.G soon after Al Gore 'invented' the internet and he told me to get in touch if I ever wanted to sell mine. (Never), but i can kinda see all the happenings happening. Crazy things happen all the time. I go along with 'moparedtn' though. I'm file# 315 on the registry(I think?)..
I had to go back to the beginning and refresh my memory. Thread is old, man.
I noticed something else in doing so on top of everything else, namely that the material pattern on the pictured front bench is wrong for a 'Bee as well.
My two cents remains that the OP's car is a fake. Notice I didn't say he did the faking. Super Bees went on sale in early 1968 (February). I can't see any being built in August 1967. Since the 'Bee was an answer to Dodge dealers being jealous of the success of the Road Runner - and that success wouldn't be known for some months after its' own introduction in Sept. 1967 - it just doesn't make sense.
Oh, and yours has an open invitation to visit anytime.
You can come along too if you like. :)

Last edited:
1968 super bee.jpg

I'd kill to find my first one. Yes, with all the obviously WRONG stuff on it, it was still a real 'Bee.

There is absolutely positively 100 percent no way to know a first or last car built. Production doesn’t work that way. You may have the lowest or highest VIN known to any one person but cars were not produced in VIN sequence number. Car 100001 may have been built after car 100002.
So...How is it?, that you know, it's not the first?? given that VIN numbers now mean nothing of sequence???

Last edited:
So...How is it?, that you know, it's not the first?? given that VIN numbers now mean nothing of sequence???
If a vehicle is assigned a vin# when it is being manufactured in body shop and that vehicle is in need of any type of repair, that vehicle will go into a bank and then repaired.
The other vehicles that are good to go will continue on through the process. The vin tag is then put on in the trim department after final paint.
When the repaired vehicle is finished, it will then continue through the process. It may be a day to weeks later before it gets a vin tag.

If a vehicle is assigned a vin# when it is being manufactured in body shop and that vehicle is in need of any type of repair, that vehicle will go into a bank and then repaired.
The other vehicles that are good to go will continue on through the process. The vin tag is then put on in the trim department after final paint.
When the repaired vehicle is finished, it will then continue through the process. It may be a day to weeks later before it gets a vin tag.
So...if that car was ordered, and it's been taken out of sequence... are all the options that were ordered, taken out of sequence throughout the whole assembly plant, also??? Or did they just throw the next part on the next car that happened by???

So...if that car was ordered, and it's been taken out of sequence... are all the options that were ordered, taken out of sequence throughout the whole assembly plant, also??? Or did they just throw the next part on the next car that happened by???
Back then most parts were delivered to the line in bulk. The worker reads a build sheet and then selects the correct part.

When does the part get stamped with the serial number ie. engine, transmission, core support, trunk lip, etc?

When does the part get stamped with the serial number ie. engine, transmission, core support, trunk lip, etc?
Those would be the only parts in question. All other parts would be common. I do not know if the stamping of motor and tranny were done in house or at another plant.
I would think all sheet metal would be done on the line.
Maybe CoronetRT could answer that.

Those would be the only parts in question. All other parts would be common. I do not know if the stamping of motor and tranny were done in house or at another plant.
Also curious, but I would think stamping just before install?

people think VINs are ordinal numbers as they are sequential. They are not . They are cardinal.
Cardinal = car with VIN 100001, 100002, 100003, etc.
Ordinal = first car built, second car built, last car built.

Cardinal Numbers also known as Counting Numbers and are used to count things. Cardinal numbers tell us "how many”. For example: 5 apples, 2 dogs, 3 books etc. They represent Quantity.

On the other hand, Ordinal Numbers refer to order of things. They tell us level or position in a group. For example: She came First in her class test, I live on Fourth floor of this building, It is his Second marriage anniversary etc.

C for Cardinal and C for “Counting” & O for Ordinal and O for “Order”.

Last edited:

Not sure. Logic would dictate that you wouldn’t stamp it until they’re installed. Yet....engines with two VINs exist.

Car 111000 is an ordered car. The dealer is behind on payments to the factory for prior cars. Is it good business to build that car knowing you may not get paid for it or should you hold off a couple of days to ensure payment?

Do you not build car 111001 and all the rest?

Car 220000 requires a special package molding. It’s out of stock but a shipment is on the way and will arrive on Monday. Do you stop production and wait for the molding?

It is not physically possible or logical to build in VIN sequence order.

To sum this thread up. The OP car is not a 1968 Super Bee. It is a 1968 Coronet Deluxe with a VIN WL21?8E100740 which has received some creative tag work (fender and dash).

Fraudulent with intent to deceive as presented by the many facts orated within this thread.

D

Last edited:
I have enjoyed this discussion. It has been very interesting and informative. I would also like to add, real or fake, that is one awesome looking car!

To sum this thread up. The OP car is not a 1968 Super Bee. It is a 1968 Coronet 440 with a VIN WL21?8E100740 which has received some creative tag work (fender and dash).

Fraudulent with intent to deceive as presented by the many facts orated within this thread.

D
Thank you.

A WL would be a Coronet Deluxe but the point is still correct....it’s not a Super Bee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back