• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FiTech FI but general fuel line question

71GTXFY1

Local time
4:48 AM
Reaction score
Hello all. I've been reading with great interest accounts of y'all converting your cars to FI. I've decided to do the same, buying parts in anticipation of doing the work this fall/winter. I've read a lot of info but haven't read the answer to my question today. For those of you with 1971 (and I must assume 72-74) who have made the switch, have any of you successfully used the fuel tank emissions vent hardline (on the pass inner fender) for the system fuel return-to-tank line?

I am going to install the 6-Barrel system (39610 Go EFI Tri-Power 600HP System - FiTech Fuel Injection)

Using the force fuel pump/sump (50004 Force Fuel System - FiTech Fuel Injection) mounted probably where the stock washer fluid bottle is. My plan is to use the stock mechanical fuel pump to pump gas to the fuel pump/sump assy.

If any of you report problems with my proposal of using the tank emissions vent for the return line, I will likely plumb a braded steel/AN fitting return line to (an also yet to install port on) the fuel tank like this one (51002Black Stainless Steel Hose Kit, 20ft w/ 10 Micron Filter and Check Valve - FiTech Fuel Injection).

Nice work to all of you who have posted progress/completion stories.

Last edited:
Ideally you want the return line feeding lower in the tank so its not causing aeration. Other than that, why not ! The only other issue is having a vent that's open to the atmosphere so you don't create a vacuum in the tank - which will hinder fuel flow.

You might want to do more research before doing that sump... More folks have had issues with that than any other part of the FiTech system.... I would recommend looking at a replacement tank with an internal pump.... Or if thats not available look at converting the existing tank for an internal EFI pump with a kit like this...

CPP Universal EFI In-Tank Electric Fuel Pump Conversion Adapter Billet Aluminum | eBay

I haven't used one of those kits but I'd try that long before the sump.... I'd also use a Holley Hydramat pickup on the pump..

I installed the FiTech TBI along with their fuel pump/sump when they first hit the market in 2015. Back then they named it the Fuel Command Center, FCC, but the same concept as the one you posted. Granted it was their Ver. 1.0, looked a lot different than the current one, but it was a POS. The electric fuel pump inside the sump died after only two years. Had to be towed home.
Went with an In-Tanks EFI baffled tank with in tank pump and no problems since. It requires running all new EFI rated fuel lines. It's a time consuming process, making the sump an appealing alternative, but my unsolicited opinion is to spend the time and money and get the fuel tank.
I remember when the FCC first came out; a lot of car guys dissed the product, questioning the reliability of installing an electric fuel pump inside a cannister inside a hot engine compartment. Turns out they were right. Maybe FiTech got it right over the past seven years; I eventually gave up on them and went back to a carb about two years ago so I lost touch.

This pretty much requires a hole in the trunk floor.
Well the kits that sink an area on top of the tank for the pump to mount seem to no longer exist... Sooooo...

I went with an Aeromotive tank w built in pump. Used a factory 3/8 steel like that I put -6 AN adapters on both ends and PTFE braided lines connecting tank to -6 and -6 to throttle body. Then a PTFE line paralleling the factory line back to the tank. No issues.

Well the kits that sink an area on top of the tank for the pump to mount seem to no longer exist... Sooooo...
Tanks Inc make such a piece but then you need to find someone to weld it in. What about Spectra, do they make an efi tank for that year ?

I used a tanks inc set up for my 68 worked well. The tripower fitech setup was very touchy setting up the IAC with the 3 butterfly screws for adjustment with the triple linkage and only one throttle positioning sensor on the center body.Never got the power out of it for what I was especting, If you havent bought the fitech unit yet, I would look into a holley setup. Good luck.

TanksInc tank, in tank pump, "Corvette" Wix fuel filter/regulator mounted near the tank (keeps 58 psi), PTFE braided lines with Fragola fittings (easiest fittings ever imo).
One PTFE line up to engine, BMW regulator caps in throttle body.
Make sure the short line within the tank is ethanol rated.
Get a fuel pressure gauge.
Ground everything, I put a small ground hub in the trunk, larger one next to battery.

20220828_235456.jpg

Hello all. I've been reading with great interest accounts of y'all converting your cars to FI. I've decided to do the same, buying parts in anticipation of doing the work this fall/winter. I've read a lot of info but haven't read the answer to my question today. For those of you with 1971 (and I must assume 72-74) who have made the switch, have any of you successfully used the fuel tank emissions vent hardline (on the pass inner fender) for the system fuel return-to-tank line?

I am going to install the 6-Barrel system (39610 Go EFI Tri-Power 600HP System - FiTech Fuel Injection)

Using the force fuel pump/sump (50004 Force Fuel System - FiTech Fuel Injection) mounted probably where the stock washer fluid bottle is. My plan is to use the stock mechanical fuel pump to pump gas to the fuel pump/sump assy.

If any of you report problems with my proposal of using the tank emissions vent for the return line, I will likely plumb a braded steel/AN fitting return line to (an also yet to install port on) the fuel tank like this one (51002Black Stainless Steel Hose Kit, 20ft w/ 10 Micron Filter and Check Valve - FiTech Fuel Injection).

Nice work to all of you who have posted progress/completion stories.

Just use a tank with an electric fuel pump inside. It is a cleaner install, and only one fuel system to have to trouble-shoot.
The issue is there is not much support for the '71+ EFI fuel tanks.
Currently the '71 Charger has the Fitech 1200 PA unit on it, but using a fuel cell with a drop in EFI pump.
I plan to convert it back to the stock type tank with EFI pump inside the tank.
I have a new Spectra fuel tank and 3/8" pickup, and a Walbro pump, and the Holley #16-116 HydraMat fuel pickup to use in the un-baffled tank.
There was another post early this year where someone found an EFI tank for the '71+ B-bodys that was ready to go. I think it was around $700?

On my FiTech install, with the timing control, I just used a cheap factory Lean-Burn distributor which is a locked out distributor, and the rotor phasing was pretty good with the Fitech.

I have a friend that has FiTech six pack. Nothing but issues. He’s looking for a Holley solution.

For the Fitech v Holley v anyone else, I had a couple QC issues w my Fitech, MAP sensor seal, injector, fuel pump, and eventually ECM. They replaced ECM even 2 yrs later, but I've heard they haven't for everyone. But most mistakes I've seen are installation related. That said, I've seen the Holley Sniper forums and they are full of a lot of the same issues and bashing. If you want a self learning throttle body style fuel injection, I'd recommend one that has a separate ECM that can be mounted away from heat. The port injection usually have much fewer problems but require a bit of tuning if I'm not mistaken. And Megasquirt seems to have the fewest problems but it is a true diy and requires some knowledge on tuning tables.
Tips, no exhaust leaks, a carb will run just fine w an exhaust leak, FI won't. No vacuum leaks, you can tune a carb to some degree around small vacuum leaks, FI you can't. Good grounds!!!!! Can't emphasize that enough. Spend the money on the fuel lines and fittings. Separate relay for fuel pump, don't rely on the ECM one.

I have a friend that has FiTech six pack. Nothing but issues. He’s looking for a Holley solution.
Just curious as to what kind of issues your friend is having? We just got the FiTech Six Pack set up and we are getting ready to do the install. It would be good for those who are thinking about this set up to know what we should look for..

I'd like to thank everyone for posting their thoughts on this. I like to thank @71GTXFY1 for starting this thread.

BTW, we got the tank from Summit Racing.
(EDIT) I forgot to add that our conversion is for a '69 Belvedere.

20220714_083358.jpg

20220711_111951.jpg

20220713_095751.jpg

Last edited:
Just curious as to what kind of issues your friend is having? We just got the FiTech Six Pack set up and we are getting ready to do the install. It would be good for those who are thinking about this set up to know what we should look for..

I'd like to thank everyone for posting their thoughts on this. I like to thank @71GTXFY1 for starting this thread.

View attachment 1335003

View attachment 1335004

View attachment 1335005
One of the issues on the Fitech forum is getting IAC, idle air control, set correctly. These are not like carburetors that are progressive. They all come on together as the injectors are batch fired. So even if the throttle body on one isn't open, the injectors are sending fuel. The key is to spend time adjusting the linkage between all 3 to operate at the same time. Then, adjusting one throttle body IAC can adjust all at once.

(EDIT) I forgot to add that our conversion is for a '69 Belvedere.

View attachment 1335003

View attachment 1335004

View attachment 1335005
Looks nice,
I will ask him, what issues.

Auto Transport Service
Back