• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fitment question on 1969 RR 383

crash89

Local time
7:12 PM
Reaction score
Hi,
I am getting ready to install a Performer RPM intake on my 383. I am running the Mopar 13" round air cleaner. I have a base that will drop it .625". Has anyone run the RPM on the 383? If so, was there a clearance issue I should account for up front? It has the stock non-air grabber hood. It does still have the insulation on the under side of the hood that I am not against taking off.
I am currently running the stock manifold and Edelbrock carb without the drop base, but with a 1" spacer and it just touches the insulation now, so I think it would be very close...
Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm running the RPM in my Super Bee with the power bulge hood and it very slightly rubs the rear of the unsilenced air cleaner on the rear structure rib. No insulation. With a drop base you may be OK.

Edelbrock Performer RPM with Edelbrock 1411 carb.
11 1/4" from the valley pan to the top edge (diameter) of the air cleaner. Close, but no hood contact.
Road Runner 2   383 Motor.JPG

Had to go out and check. I believe it is.
Another reference point is 1/2" gap from the lower diameter edge to the coil.

Had to go out and check. I believe it is.
Another reference point is 1/2" gap from the lower diameter edge to the coil.
Thanks for the pic! It appears this will work. My air cleaner is a little smaller than yours. I can relocate the coil if it becomes an issue.

Yeah, that is a 3" filter element. Not sure why the previous owned went that way. I'm sure a 2" would do just fine.

EDIT:
Now that I think of it, I got an Edelbrock filter with the car, but not installed. Same as pictured, but with Edelbrock embossed on it. I suspect it was too tall.

Auto Transport Service
Back