• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fitting '65 727 TO '71 440

65PlymSatellite

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:26 PM
Reaction score
Hello All,

Started the task of getting my '65 727 rebuilt. It's going to go behind a '71 440 and I just wanted to make sure I understand what that entails.

I was told I need to replace the front pump assembly to a '66 and later assembly, and that would be it?

Is this correct? Has anyone done this? Anything else to look out for? I was also told I can re-use my 904 trans valve body if the 727 one is too shot.

I want to be able to keep the original shifter in my '65 Satellite, along with the '71 440.

Just want a good cruiser with more horsepower than the stock 273/904 combo.

Also,

Anyone have experience with TSR racing? Saw the below online and thought it'd be exactly what I needed.
A-727 Front Pump Assembly‚ 1971-1977 OEM Modified Reaction Shaft Support 727-22537AMS

Thanks everyone!

I was told I need to replace the front pump assembly to a '66 and later assembly, and that would be it?
Well, it's a better setup with a better selection of available converters including the input shaft. But no, you don't have to. There are a lot of minor differences and reasons to upgrade your 727 for various uses, but a '65 BB Torqueflite will indeed bolt up and work behind any 440.

Valve bodies are the same, as far as bolting in, but there are differences in spring pressures within. I would stick with one for the original trans application, unless doing a shift kit for your desired build. And of course, dont throw out the 904 one... (dont throw out anything lol).

You will need the stator support (or complete front pump), the forward and direct drums from either a 67-70 transmission or out of a 71- up transmission.

The 67-70 direct drum uses a narrow bushing and the 71-up uses a wide bushing. So they have to match the pump support.

If you use another suitable valve body it will need to be from a 62-65 transmission preferably from another A727 because your 65 A727 has a rear pump.

You will need to use your rooster comb and manual valve from your 65 transmission if you use another valve body.

A&A makes a governor support that deletes the rear pump and a later model valve body can be used. It may require to modify that later model valve body.

I hope this helps

As long as you keep your original '65 torque converter, you will not have to change any thing. Input shaft size and spline count changed from 1966 to 1967. If you want to change to a modern higher stall speed converter, then you will need to change the front pump and drum.
A valve body from a 904 can be used on a 727 by elongating one of the bolt holes in the steel separator plate. This bolt position has an elongated hole in the channel plate. If the shifter rooster comb looks different than original, it and the manual valve in the body will have to be switched.
Watch for cracks between channels on the valve body plate that contains the balls. Do not lose the ball on the output shaft that drives the rear pump.

As long as you keep your original '65 torque converter, you will not have to change any thing. Input shaft size and spline count changed from 1966 to 1967. If you want to change to a modern higher stall speed converter, then you will need to change the front pump and drum.
A valve body from a 904 can be used on a 727 by elongating one of the bolt holes in the steel separator plate. This bolt position has an elongated hole in the channel plate. If the shifter rooster comb looks different than original, it and the manual valve in the body will have to be switched.
Watch for cracks between channels on the valve body plate that contains the balls. Do not lose the ball on the output shaft that drives the rear pump.
Will my existing torque converter from my 904 fit on the big block 727?

I had a few original '65 cars. I liked that year because it had the slip yoke driveshaft and you could still compression start it as an auto trans, which I used to do just because I could.

I had a few original '65 cars. I liked that year because it had the slip yoke driveshaft and you could still compression start it as an auto trans, which I used to do just because I could.
How does that work? Push in neutral with ignition key open?

Rolling in neutral, turn key on, pull it gear, varoom it starts. Lots of hills in Seattle, did it in the '70s when I drove those cars for daily drivers.

if you search real hard there are performance converters out there for the early trans 19 spline

if you search real hard there are performance converters out there for the early trans 19 spline
A&A Transmission (Rick Allison) in Camby, IN advertises them, custom or off-the-shelf.

Auto Transport Service
Back