• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flex plate alignment

Agree with just enough turns in to rotate it. You should be able to hold the converter back enough so the bolts are up against the flex plate so you can turn the motor still.
I agree but if it was your first would you do it that way? Some thing learnt over time.

Thinking more he should be able to turn them in but just finger tight. Could put one and turn motor to see if next hole is lined up or not? Then work from I doubt 3 would go in and last be miss aligned. Hope he has a helper who can turn engine by the crank bolt.

I agree but if it was your first would you do it that way? Some thing learnt over time.
Yup. Just trying to pass on the little tricks learned the hard way.

Thinking more he should be able to turn them in but just finger tight. Could put one and turn motor to see if next hole is lined up or not? Then work from I doubt 3 would go in and last be miss aligned. Hope he has a helper who can turn engine by the crank bolt.
Thanks Fran. I'm going to start from scratch tomorrow and try each alignment to make sure I have right one. And, no, I was solo. Spent a lot of time crawling under and out from under car. Of course, it was the nicest day we've had in months and I spent the better part of the day trying to get frickin flexplate bolts lined up instead of doing a dozen other things to put everything back together. Oh well. I knew what I was getting into when I embraced this passion.

Thanks Fran. I'm going to start from scratch tomorrow and try each alignment to make sure I have right one. And, no, I was solo. Spent a lot of time crawling under and out from under car. Of course, it was the nicest day we've had in months and I spent the better part of the day trying to get frickin flexplate bolts lined up instead of doing a dozen other things to put everything back together. Oh well. I knew what I was getting into when I embraced this passion.
Been where you are and done that. Easy to go into panic mode.
I had a problem with a suregrip when I first was on this . Member pointed out the possibje and others how to correct it.

Been where you are and done that. Easy to go into panic mode.
I had a problem with a suregrip when I first was on this . Member pointed out the possibje and others how to correct it.
I really appreciate everyone on this site. You guys have solved many problems for me as I try to become self-sufficient. I figure worst-case scenario, I only need to remove 16 bolts -- all easy to get to -- to yank motor and find out exactly what's the issue. But trying to avoid that.

I really appreciate everyone on this site. You guys have solved many problems for me as I try to become self-sufficient. I figure worst-case scenario, I only need to remove 16 bolts -- all easy to get to -- to yank motor and find out exactly what's the issue. But trying to avoid that.
Sometimes walking away and coming back later is best. Things fall into place better when your not frustrated. Fresh focus and a little time to think.

There's only four bolts to the converter, with the offset hole. Your marked holes don't line up...probably marked a common hole, instead of the timed one. Stock flex plates and converters are marked for that hole.

Might try this...turn the motor by hand, until there's 'two' holes clear, one on each side of the opening. Then turn the converter, until both those holes line up, bolts in just hand tight. Then, you can turn the motor, to check if the other two line up. The 'timed' hole in the flex plate should be marked with an 0.

There's only four bolts to the converter, with the offset hole. Your marked holes don't line up...probably marked a common hole, instead of the timed one. Stock flex plates and converters are marked for that hole.

Might try this...turn the motor by hand, until there's 'two' holes clear, one on each side of the opening. Then turn the converter, until both those holes line up, bolts in just hand tight. Then, you can turn the motor, to check if the other two line up. The 'timed' hole in the flex plate should be marked with an 0.

Thanks Miller. For the record, it's not a stock converter so the marking isn't there (at least I can't see one). I tried that "two holes clear method" a half dozen times yesterday and could never get more than two holes to line up exactly. And even then, one of holes wasn't exact. I'm going out today before work and double checking every possible way, marking it as I go. If it's not right, I can yank the motor in 30 minutes.

Last edited:
You are 180 degrees off.
Doug

Success!!! Thank you everyone! I started from scratch today. Marked converter (with Hemi Orange touchup paint for good luck) then marked flexplate tab if it Definitely did not fit (again with good luck Hemi Orange). Found the one that "might" work and was able to get it in. I was sooo sure I marked it right when I took engine out but somehow I didn't. Live and learn. Thank you again.

Atta boy:thumbsup:

Don't forget some thread locker and not too tight on those...
:thumbsup:

Oh boy, I think that's kind of high, they are not big bolts.
I think you may have looked at the wrong row in the chart.
I found this which I believe to be correct (pretty sure it matches my Mopar book on Magnum small blocks at home).
Torque Converter to Flexplate Bolt 270 in/lbs 5/16-24
That is 22.5 in ft/lbs.

Oh boy, I think that's kind of high, they are not big bolts.
I think you may have looked at the wrong row in the chart.
I found this which I believe to be correct (pretty sure it matches my Mopar book on Magnum small blocks at home).
Torque Converter to Flexplate Bolt 270 in/lbs 5/16-24
That is 22.5 in ft/lbs.

I mistyped. 55 was my flexplate to crank. I rounded up and did 25 pounds to convertor.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back