• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flex plate alignment

Oh boy, I think that's kind of high, they are not big bolts.
I think you may have looked at the wrong row in the chart.
I found this which I believe to be correct (pretty sure it matches my Mopar book on Magnum small blocks at home).
Torque Converter to Flexplate Bolt 270 in/lbs 5/16-24
That is 22.5 in ft/lbs.
Thanks Don, but I have 7/16 bolts not 5/16, so I think I needed a higher torque. 25 ft lbs seemed way too loose. I pulled them back out and will reinstall when I am sure of proper torque. I've seen everything from 40 ft lbs to 85. Does anyone know what 7/16 Grade 8 converter bolts get torqued to?

Last edited:
I've NEVER gotten them too tight. I've had them loosen even started using green Loctite. ARP torque values range from 70 to 90 ft-lbs. I'd shoot for 70 or as much as I get with my 10" long custom made converter bolt wrench. Use the available red Loctite not blue.

BTW, if I have an unmarked or uncertain combo, I put 1 bolt in finger tight to snug the converter up, then rotate & see if they line up. Seldom need more than a couple iterations, but if it takes more, it takes more.

I learned the hard way, too, a long time ago. (Is there any other way?)

To avoid it, before installing the converter/flex plate, throw 'em on the bench, line up the bolt holes, and mark 'em. Done deal.

If it's a 7/16 bolt, then 70 ft/lbs would be correct. Seems like a lot for just a flex plate.

If it's a 7/16 bolt, then 70 ft/lbs would be correct. Seems like a lot for just a flex plate.
The 7/16" flex plate bolt was used on the Hemi converters & majority of aftermarket HP or race converters. All the 8 3/4, 9, 9 1/2 & 10" B&M, Turbo Action, Coan & Dynamic converters I've had utilized the 7/16 NF bolts.

I've NEVER gotten them too tight. I've had them loosen even started using green Loctite. ARP torque values range from 70 to 90 ft-lbs. I'd shoot for 70 or as much as I get with my 10" long custom made converter bolt wrench. Use the available red Loctite not blue.
Thanks 66. I'll shoot for 70 ft lbs. I think I'm going to order some ARP bolts and not re-use the old ones. But I'm leary of using red Loctite in case I ever need to get them back out.

The red loctite comes loose. Even the green came loose for me many times & those bolts came apart often enough. The green stuff said on the label "replaces welding and brazing". That surely was an exaggeration. Today I use the red "high strength" with no problem removing the bolts. But do what you think best.

Auto Transport Service
Back