• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flex Plate to crank bolt clearance with converter.

adk-roadrunner

Local time
4:15 AM
Reaction score
Hey guy's my plan is to get my new engine and trans mounted in my 73 roadrunner today. The torque converter I ended up purchasing uses a 7/16 bolt which is fine because the Flex Plate I have accepts either size. The problem I'm running into is the ARP Torque Converter bolts I had originally purchased are 5/16. I was originally going to use 4 Flex Plate to crank bolts but I'm thinking they'll be a bit too thick. I purchased a set of ARP Flex Plate to crank bolts as well and they are as thin as the Torque Converter bolts so my plan is to just use 4 of those for the Torque Converter. I would then just use the OE Crank bolts. My concern is how much space needs to be between the face of the Torque Converter and the Crank bolts? If I put a bolt in the Flex Plate in the Crank bolt hole and bolt it to the Torque Converter there is a little bit of wiggle room between the bolt head and Torque Converter. The only reason I worry is I watched a video earlier and the guy said you need a certain amount of space between the bolts and the front converter plate when its billet like mine. He said something about that plate moving but I'm not sure if that's a thing.

20210821_103549.jpg 20210821_103633.jpg 20210821_104128.jpg

As long as the bolts aren't so tall that they actually hit and interfere with the flexplate, you're good to go.

Also make sure they are not to long and bottom out before sandwiching the flex plate.

You could also grind the heads down a bit. Easy on the heat.

I inserted the bolts through the holes so the heads were between the flexplate and the Torque converter and bolted the flexplate to the torque converter and the crank bolts do have a little wiggle room between the torque converter and flexplate they definitely don't bind.

If the converter won't pull forward all the way to the plate its not right. Either shimthe converter (if it still has rearward clearance. Or correct the converter to crank fit so the converter is not bottomed into the crank. Make sure the converter isn't hitting the crank bolt heads. I've had to trim those bolt heads.
Doug

If the converter won't pull forward all the way to the plate its not right. Either shimthe converter (if it still has rearward clearance. Or correct the converter to crank fit so the converter is not bottomed into the crank. Make sure the converter isn't hitting the crank bolt heads. I've had to trim those bolt heads.
Doug
Thanks but I fixed it 2 years ago.

Never looked a this post date,lol

Auto Transport Service
Back