• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Floating or Fixed Clipers

cinciaz

Local time
10:33 PM
Reaction score

Hello all, Sooooo I have this question... I would like to know which is better, floating or fixed calipers. the reserch I have been doing it seems that it doesn't matter. I have a 1971 Charger 383 magnum with a Hurst 4 speed. The car came with drum brakes on all four corners. From my reserch I also found that in 1971 you could get a front disc brake kit from the dealer and have it installed. I cant find anything anywhere that tells me what calipers came with that kit. I figured if I cant find the proper caliper from the kit that I would just put on the better caliper. Also does it matter if the caliper goes toward the front of the car or the rear. (what is the stock configuratuon of the caliper). If you swap the steering knuckles (spindles) you can have front or back. Not looking for a concours car just want everthing to be correct. This insert is from the 1971 Coronet/Charger operaters manual... Page 31
img_e8160_aae534fe972a1b47c19fce596edac820e391660e.jpg

Says power brakes not disc brakes. Most likely was a kit that included a power booster, vacuum lines, fittings, misc..

If you had the dealer install disc brakes, they would use off the shelf parts for your model and year. In your case it would be floating calipers mounted toward the front.

By 1971 I think you got sliding/pin style callipers on a factory disc brake car.
Have a look at the 1971 factory service manual.

Thanks for all of the responses helped out alot. will go with floating calipers towards front

Auto Transport Service
Back