• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fluid questions oil and transmission

Marco Perez

Local time
11:25 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone I got a 64 chrysler newport what is the oil capacity and the transmission oil capacity I plan on replacing gaskets as they leak a lot... I know to get type A for ATF+4 BUT HOW ABOUT OIL WEIGHTcan someone help me pick what oil I need thanks

Hi everyone I got a 64 chrysler newport what is the oil capacity and the transmission oil capacity I plan on replacing gaskets as they leak a lot... I know to get type A for ATF+4 BUT HOW ABOUT OIL WEIGHTcan someone help me pick what oil I need thanks
I believe the engine holds 4 qts. + 1 for the filter. The transmission holds about 10 qts., if you drain the converter. As long as you have the pan off the trans, you should check/adjust the bands. I like the Mopar ATF+4 myself, it has great specs.
Mike

I use ATF+4 in everything I have......

I believe the engine holds 4 qts. + 1 for the filter. The transmission holds about 10 qts., if you drain the converter. As long as you have the pan off the trans, you should check/adjust the bands. I like the Mopar ATF+4 myself, it has great specs.
Mike
How do you check and adjust the bands ? This my first time trying this and it really needs 10 quarts of transmission fluid if I take the pan off...? And as far as oil I found 10-30 conventional its all I could find hope that's good enough and it's 5 quarts
How do you check

Also what are torque specs on valve covers and oil pan and oil plug... I'm also looking for transmission pan torque specs I could this...

Screenshot_20220703-154740_Office.jpg

How do you check and adjust the bands ? This my first time trying this and it really needs 10 quarts of transmission fluid if I take the pan off...? And as far as oil I found 10-30 conventional its all I could find hope that's good enough and it's 5 quarts

I suggest you get a factory manual for your car and then you will know everything!
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back