• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flywheel Identification internal verses external balance

Can you post of pic of the nose of the input shaft....side view and end view please.....
sorry this is the only photo i found for the transmission , it looks original not cut to me . also can my current flywheel be balanced to be used on my 400 ?( i've been told by an old mechanic man who used to race a Hemi Charger that it could be done at a machine shop ) it's kinda of stress relief to hear if that true lol very thankful for your help, much appreciated

input shaft A833 my transmission.jpg

Just for giggles, drop your alternator and ps drive belts off so that the only thing turning is the crank, I was chasing a similar vibration, could not see out the rear view mirror, turned out to be a bad alternator balance !!!!
did that brother , vibration is still there . does the harmonic balancer do such vibration too ? in my case if you raise the RPM the vibration will go higher too

You do have an 11" flywheel in that picture. If it's balanced for the rest of the team it's OK to run. Pedal pressure is typically a result of pressure plate load differences, not diameter of the clutch.

24 teeth X 6 = 144 teeth, for Mopar is an 11" flywheel.........

View attachment 1083163

.....a 10-1/2" flywheel will be 130 teeth. 21.5 teeth between bolt holes.

The '73 Dodge and '72 Plymouth FSM may be available to downlod here. Best price anywhere. The site is being updated right now so not all links are ready..............

Service Manuals – MyMopar

One of these can be helpful.............

Mopar Performance Mopar Chasis 8th Edition | eBay
love how all the Mopar enthusiast rush to help on this site with so much helpful infos ( am young and still learning everyday ) today i've been told by an old mechanic that he can balace my flywheel to fit my application at a machine shop , also said that my stiff pedal clutch is due to running a 11" clutch causing the pedal to be more stiffer . can my flywheel could be done at a machine shop and balanced properly ,and does installing a smaller 10,5 will get my clutch pedal smother . sorry for the long replies and many thanks for the help

On external balance engines, the harmonic balancer should have an offset in it too. It's not real easy to see but you can spot it if you look at it good. You might have to rotate the engine to see it. You can't use them on an internal balance engine but they will fit on one. Has your engine ever been rebuilt? Whenever I build an engine, it gets an internal balance job.....so you need to know if the engine has ever been done.

On external balance engines, the harmonic balancer should have an offset in it too. It's not real easy to see but you can spot it if you look at it good. You might have to rotate the engine to see it. You can't use them on an internal balance engine but they will fit on one. Has your engine ever been rebuilt? Whenever I build an engine, it gets an internal balance job.....so you need to know if the engine has ever been done.
i have no idea brother if my engine was rebuilt since i took it off from another running car with the 4 speeds and swamped it into my car . i will have to take a look at the damper to see if there is any weight , i've been told by an old mechanic and a mopar drag racer that to bring him the flywheel and the clutch set up , and he will balanced it at a machine shop for my 400 is that possible ?

Auto Transport Service
Back