• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For Sale Ads now Close 30 days after last posting.

I don't think it would be a problem to close after 30 days, I just got a PM about a part I put for sale in June of last year. The problem I now have is Tracking the parts I have for sale. There used to be a tab for your parts for sale. It was easier to keep up with them. Now its mixed in with your posts or something. They get lost in the shuffle. I both buy and sell on this forum. Thanks for the great site by the way.

I support the original proposition posted by Joey. The only thing I would like added is to somehow "disappear" threads that have not had any activity for a year.

I have no problem with old threads being visible. If someone wants to access a seven year old thread to get some tips on say...headliner installation then that thread still has value.

I did PM, not post in the thread. If I had posted and it was sold it would have drug a thread out of the archives for nothing. I get the idea of preventing this from happening due to many reasons, including but not limited to, sellers not marking ads "Sold". You can PM no matter what even if it's closed. Like I said, you just never know.

I like the 30 day idea. Nothing worse than seeing a post on a for sale item, being interested and then finding out its 4 yrs old. If 30 days from the last post is not enough time, then neither will 130 days.

LOL, or in this case, me dragging up a thread that was last replied to over 60 days ago.

I like the 30 day idea. Nothing worse than seeing a post on a for sale item, being interested and then finding out its 4 yrs old. If 30 days from the last post is not enough time, then neither will 130 days.
In 86 I bought a 71 340 Cuda from a year old ad. It was in the paper though but I saved the ad and one day when I was cleaning out my desk I found the clipping and gave it a shot. The guy still had it! He lowered the price 1000 bucks and had recently rebuilt the transmission. Had trouble with the governor right off and figured I'd be redoing it right away but the shop that did the rebuild said to bring it back even though I had just bought it and they fixed it. 15 years later I was still abusing the car :D Anyways, I always check the date on an ad but you just never know....

this new rule SUCKS
and makes it HARDER to find parts!
there is a guy parting a car in the parting out section
his conversations are full
and I can't reply to his thread
so i'm screwed, because some crybaby saw someone
posting in a old thread

his conversations are full
and I can't reply to his thread
so i'm screwed, because some crybaby saw someone
posting in a old thread

How about the guy who cant keep his inbox clean?

he sucks also but
the way around it was taken away. oh well

I thought of that, but he doesn't post much
his last post was 10 days ago so i doubt he would ever see it.
I posted a message on his profile page
that is about all I can do.

It doesn't make much of a difference then weather or not you can post on his for sale site if he doesn't check in. If he was active, his inbox would be empty and you would be able to contact him that way.

Well, if the ad is dead for 30 days and/or the seller isn't checking it for replies, then either he's sold it or his price is too high or just doesn't give a rats butt. With the ways that you can tell if someone replies, there's no excuse not to be able to know if someone is interested in the ad. Heck, as a last resort, you can start up a thread with the heading "(username) where are you!!?"

Auto Transport Service
Back