• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For Sale Ads now Close 30 days after last posting.

Joeychgo

Administrator
Staff member
Local time
9:58 AM
Reaction score
Hi all --

I have now set it up that threads in the For Sale forums will automatically close after there has been no posting for 30 days.

This is being done in order to prevent someone from dragging up an old ad and posting in it.

This DOES NOT mark the item as sold or found - it merely closes the thread from further posting.

I am contemplating limiting the total amount of time for an ad to 30 days from the start. (instead of from the last post) Should I do this?

I like the idea of an automatic closure after the last posting on any given advert....should as you say prevent old adverts being dragged up years after first posting. However, maybe the time could be stretched a little, as a lot of items are not necessarily seen by the eventual Buyer/Seller for longer than that - I could see 90 days being a good number. That 90 days would also give the chance to have closure after the 30 days suggested after the last posting.

I would also ask that you look at limiting the number of adverts "live" at any given time to Non-GOLD members - it may help encourage those who have not already signed up to consider supporting a site that offers them a "FREE" avenue of disposing of their goods.

Loving these continual tweaks and improvements to the new layout. :thumbsup:

Personally i don't see the benefit of it, Ive gone back and bought parts after i was able to put the money together or not need at the time but remembered about it and gone back, i buy a lot of parts from this site as much as $4000.00 in one shot "my Alterktion kit on my 65 Satellite" my Gear vendor ECT

This is from aguy who buys Here Often ! Just bought $1000.00 heads and $800.00 center console and rockers

Personally i don't see the benefit of it

The benefit of it is that it will stop someone from finding a 2 year old ad and posting in it, bringing it up to the top of the list and encouraging other posts in a years old for sale ad.

well yeah i can understand that but 30 Days is not long enough, more like 90 imo

well yeah i can understand that but 30 Days is not long enough, more like 90 imo

The seller can still PM. The ad doesn't disappear, it just can no longer have new posts added to it. If an ad doesn't get a post for 30 days, it probably isn't too popular. At least that was my thinking.

Well you are the Man ! LOl i know you see and understand things that i don't regarding this site but the guy can just re-post it, i don't know 30 Days is not long enough that's all

going from unlimited day to 30 Days is just to short imo i still think 90 days will work better for both partys seller buyer

IMO, Where else can you get free advertising for a day let alone 30 days. It sounds real reasonable to me. I like it! I have seen things advertised on here in 2013 and it probably got sold in 2013 but the seller didn't get back on and report it sold so here 3 years later it shows up with someone asking if it was still for sale. Sometimes the seller is no longer here so the thread just becomes junk mail

I have seen things advertised on here in 2013 and it probably got sold in 2013 but the seller didn't get back on and report it sold so here 3 years later it shows up with someone asking if it was still for sale. Sometimes the seller is no longer here so the thread just becomes junk mail

Exactly what this is meant to avoid.

I'm down, just not with 30 days. Maybe 3 or 6 months. Like mentioned they can still PM the ad owner.

Will the originator of the ad be notified that it was closed?

Just to re-iterate what Joey is saying, its 30 days from the last post. It might mean that at the beginning their are lots of posts in the first 10 days, but nothing for the next 30, which means that it will automatically close. Total time its open would be 40 days. I believe this is how its mean't to work.

IMO, Where else can you get free advertising for a day let alone 30 days. It sounds real reasonable to me. I like it! I have seen things advertised on here in 2013 and it probably got sold in 2013 but the seller didn't get back on and report it sold so here 3 years later it shows up with someone asking if it was still for sale. Sometimes the seller is no longer here so the thread just becomes junk mail

Free ads are all over the internet C.L is one of the biggest one, but where not talking about free ads where talking about the length of the Ad, if you sell buy or trade on this site then you know 30 days just isn't enough going from unlimited time to 30 days doesn't make sence

The seller can bump the ad every 30 days if it is still available to keep it active
so they have to pay attention to it if not close it

Gold you can bump after 3 days
If you can not post to your own ad every 30 days the Joey needs to change this for the
30 day close to work

The seller can bump his post to extend his 30 or 90 days no? In my mind if the seller isn't keeping up on trying to sale an item he may not be really trying to sell it. While I see some guys lower their price after a week and continue Til they sell it.

Auto Transport Service
Back