• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the humble FBBO members: Tell your embarrassing stories !

About 12 years ago I finished the build of my Superbird. I had it perfect (in my mind). Everything but the exhaust. On a cold Feb. morning I loaded it on my trailer and went 15 miles into the exhaust shop. I started it to warm it up while un chaining the car. It was on high idle about 1500 rpm's. I was un doing the last chain when it went by its self into reverse. I got hooked in the chain and the car drug me some 60 feet and rammed into the wall of the exhaust shop. The new door I made for them was 10K and the damage to my car was 8K. The damage to my self esteem was much worse.
Before I left to go.

33456_123557044369236_4825342_n.jpg

After

1.jpg
I had set the parking brake but it didn't hold. Lesson learned I will never start one and just walk off.
I was so bummed I was going to cut it up and sell its parts. 50K invested and 3 years of my life collecting parts and working on it.
But some wonderful car guys off another S.B. site gave me (for the price of shipping) most of the parts to put it back together if I would just fix it and not destroy it. I have always remembered this and as a result I try to help others out when possible.

The ruined parts.

DSCN1366.JPG

And hours of body work later.

DSCN1755.JPG
I couldn't get the custom paint to match. It is like this to this day. Someday soon I will re-paint to the original B5 the car was from new.

About 12 years ago I finished the build of my Superbird. I had it perfect (in my mind). Everything but the exhaust. On a cold Feb. morning I loaded it on my trailer and went 15 miles into the exhaust shop. I started it to warm it up while un chaining the car. It was on high idle about 1500 rpm's. I was un doing the last chain when it went by its self into reverse. I got hooked in the chain and the car drug me some 60 feet and rammed into the wall of the exhaust shop. The new door I made for them was 10K and the damage to my car was 8K. The damage to my self esteem was much worse.
Before I left to go.

View attachment 919901

After

View attachment 919902 I had set the parking brake but it didn't hold. Lesson learned I will never start one and just walk off.
I was so bummed I was going to cut it up and sell its parts. 50K invested and 3 years of my life collecting parts and working on it.
But some wonderful car guys off another S.B. site gave me (for the price of shipping) most of the parts to put it back together if I would just fix it and not destroy it. I have always remembered this and as a result I try to help others out when possible.

The ruined parts.

View attachment 919905

And hours of body work later.

View attachment 919906 I couldn't get the custom paint to match. It is like this to this day. Someday soon I will re-paint to the original B5 the car was from new.
Sorry to see & hear that :thumbsup:

that had to be an Oh ****/oh F--k NO moment :poke:
embarrassing or humiliating moment too :eek:

:luvplace:

Sorry to see & hear that :thumbsup:

that had to be an Oh ****/oh F--k NO moment :poke:
embarrassing or humiliating moment too :eek:

:luvplace:
Well like most things in life we get past it. I wasn't seriously hurt. But I had no insurance on the car. My agent had told me to get the amount of coverage I was after I had to have it appraised. The appraiser said to finish it with exhaust before he could do the appraisal. So it was an out of pocket experience lol. Such is life. It was along time ago.

I have ran out of gas a few times, THAT is embarrassing.

Auto Transport Service
Back