• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where's the Butterfinger group?
Or would you rather like, here's how I lost my money group......

If you want to know there was only one part damaged during installation.....which was the center piece of the air grabber it cracked during installation. Come to find out from the gent who restored it he said it had to have a hairline crack due to age to cause that......

I wonder how.many people can say they assembled a whole car and damage ONE part....and it seems that was due to age and not me.....

Is that butterfinger her enough for you?

Or how bout this.....create a section for vendor screw ups? There where many with this build....

Last edited:
Got my Historical plate for the X today......What do you guys think?

IMG_1966.JPG

CompSyn....thanks for the time & effort to take this on & put it together. Like many, I’m just a regular guy who, as time allows, enjoys doing my own stuff, in a small garage, and interested in originality. Often, while going through the thread, I’d think about writing page numbers down to reference back to, but never did, resulting in considerable time to relocate.

Also thanks to Moparnation74 for his willingness to share his knowledge, step-by-step photos, detail & OEM/repo parts comparisons etc. A lot of guys are reluctant to pass stuff on. Great build. I admire your attention to detail. Thank you both....Jim

Last edited:
Yes, restorations are a serious beatdown and the more detailed you get into it, the bigger the beatdown.
So true Mark.....It is nice right now having nothing to do.......I am sure at some point that will turn into boredom....

CompSyn....thanks for the time & effort to take this on & put it together. Like many, I’m just a regular guy who, as time allows, enjoys doing my own stuff, in a small garage, and interested in originality. Often, while going through the thread, I’d think about writing page numbers down to reference back to, but never did, resulting in considerable time to relocate.

Also thanks to Moparnation74 for his willingness to share his knowledge, step-by-step photos, detail & OEM/repo parts comparisons etc. A lot of guys are reluctant to pass stuff on. Great build. I admire your attention to detail. Thank you both....Jim
Jim

Thank you for chiming in.....Your compliments are much appreciated.

Anthony did a fine job compiling all those topics.....I cannot tell you how many times people have asked me for something in my thread or even I needed something on some page I had trouble finding. ......Thanks to my friend he has helped out me and so many others.....

For awhile there I didn't know what I was going to do with the GTX......I contemplated over this for awhile before I embarked on a full restoration. Lots of emotions were going on. I was stewing over selling it to get rid of the memories, ripping the drive train out and going with a 570 Hemi, a 440 six pack and the furthest thing on my mind was a full restoration. The key denominator that led me to my decision was I wanted something to give back to my pops. Even though I cannot now but in paradise I will be able to tell him my story, a story about a car and the wonderful man that owned that car......Because most everyone else knows about you and this hunk of steel.....

The GTX is not a one of one, a one of ten, a one of twenty........It doesn't have some Mopar icon in racing attached to the history.....What it has is a regular guy born on a peanut farm in Virginia whom was a wild child and got in trouble with the law. Subsequently, was ordered by the judge to either do jail time or go into the military.....Pops chose the military and this was during Vietnam, moonlighted at the St Louis Chrysler plant...Hooked up with my Mom at the base. Whom was a civilian working on the base.......After Vietnam he started up his own business, retired at 50, married once....Two kids through college and both of them married once......He was involved in everything and anything with his kids and never missed a step......

I had to build a perfect car because my Dad was perfect.....this was done on my limited time while working two jobs in my little garage with no lift, two floor jacks and jackstands and mainly craftsman and cobalt tools......

This is my one of none.......

Justin

BTW Justin, how about a reminder on the big reveal. Date, place, ect.

Jim

Thank you for chiming in.....Your compliments are much appreciated.

Anthony did a fine job compiling all those topics.....I cannot tell you how many times people have asked me for something in my thread or even I needed something on some page I had trouble finding. ......Thanks to my friend he has helped out me and so many others.....

For awhile there I didn't know what I was going to do with the GTX......I contemplated over this for awhile before I embarked on a full restoration. Lots of emotions were going on. I was stewing over selling it to get rid of the memories, ripping the drive train out and going with a 570 Hemi, a 440 six pack and the furthest thing on my mind was a full restoration. The key denominator that led me to my decision was I wanted something to give back to my pops. Even though I cannot now but in paradise I will be able to tell him my story, a story about a car and the wonderful man that owned that car......Because most everyone else knows about you and this hunk of steel.....

The GTX is not a one of one, a one of ten, a one of twenty........It doesn't have some Mopar icon in racing attached to the history.....What it has is a regular guy born on a peanut farm in Virginia whom was a wild child and got in trouble with the law. Subsequently, was ordered by the judge to either do jail time or go into the military.....Pops chose the military and this was during Vietnam, moonlighted at the St Louis Chrysler plant...Hooked up with my Mom at the base. Whom was a civilian working on the base.......After Vietnam he started up his own business, retired at 50, married once....Two kids through college and both of them married once......He was involved in everything and anything with his kids and never missed a step......

I had to build a perfect car because my Dad was perfect.....this was done on my limited time while working two jobs in my little garage with no lift, two floor jacks and jackstands and mainly craftsman and cobalt tools......

This is my one of none.......

Justin

This truly sums up the venture and touches the heart while describing it. Almost brings a tear to the eye. Again, congratulations on a job very well done. My hats off to you.

This truly sums up the venture and touches the heart while describing it. Almost brings a tear to the eye. Again, congratulations on a job very well done. My hats off to you.
George

Thank you so much for that!

Justin

The car below is owned by JW and Angela Hames. It is a finely restored 69 383 GTS Dart. Posting this here because they and the car were at the Nats today......So I have scoured the car completely and picked their brains as to what to expect....In other words how picky the judges are at MCACN....This car scored 990 out of a 1000 last year.....

They are a husband and wife team which is cool.....Angel knows more about Mopars than one can imagine.....They restore cars on the side and they do not do paint and body themselves but have a good painter that does it for them......

I am ready for MCACN!

IMG_20180810_103553191_HDR.jpg

Ohhhh and btw I got my rims/tires back.......Picked them up from the show......When I get a chance I will takes some picks and give some information on them!

Most of you may remember the issues I had with the first shop that restored my rims. Long story short the second time they repaired them turned them into a literal mess. The paint became soft and spongy. In turned I contacted them several times and got zero response. How's that for spending butt load for a paint job...Great customer service, right?

So the hunt began for someone reputable and reliable.....I new of one source to go to.....That was @69bfan Richard....He putt me in touch with Patt who is out in Johnstown, PA. I got in contact with Pat and we met half way and did the handoff. Part communicated and sent pictures through the whole process from blasting stage to finish stage. We narrowed down a timeline and he nailed it with no problem. We made the final tradeoff at the Nat's.......

Patt I highly recommend to anyone considering a body/painter for their projects......If I could go back in time I would have had him do the GTX......

Now they are done correctly. First sprayed overall with 30% gloss black and the fronts sprayed with single stage gloss enamel......I can now accurately read all stampings....and put the original wheel weights back, funny thing is those were my biggest concern....lol

Pat thank you so much for your professionalism, high quality work and communication...Stellar my friend....

Tire 1.jpg
TIRE !.jpg
TIRE 2.jpg
Tire 3.jpg
Tire 4.jpg

They look factory original to me.:thumbsup:
Howard

Thanks my friend and good to see you cranking away on the charger....

I have to say you did a stellar job on the rear seat.......IMHO those are harder to do than the buckets.....

I wish you were closer. I would come over and we could double team your headliner......If you need any phone help whatsoever, PM me your phone number....The hardest part on a charger liner is the rear pillars the rest is not bad too do....I can guide you step by step on how I tackle it...

Justin

Howard

Thanks my friend and good to see you cranking away on the charger....

I have to say you did a stellar job on the rear seat.......IMHO those are harder to do than the buckets.....

I wish you were closer. I would come over and we could double team your headliner......If you need any phone help whatsoever, PM me your phone number....The hardest part on a charger liner is the rear pillars the rest is not bad too do....I can guide you step by step on how I tackle it...

Justin
Thanks for the compliments,
I would love to have some help putting in the headliner. If I can watch or work with someone on something I learn and pick up things quite quickly but if I have never done something before I am always hesitant. When I am ready I just may take you up on the phone call though. You don't know how closely I have watched some of your postings to get ideas on how things should be done. Thanks for the detailed posts.

Thanks for the compliments,
I would love to have some help putting in the headliner. If I can watch or work with someone on something I learn and pick up things quite quickly but if I have never done something before I am always hesitant. When I am ready I just may take you up on the phone call though. You don't know how closely I have watched some of your postings to get ideas on how things should be done. Thanks for the detailed posts.
Thanks as well Howard.....No problem at all. I would be glad to help.....These areas are scary until you have done one...I get that but I can easily walk you through it....Your first one will seem like it will take forever....A experienced installer can do one in 3 hours or less.....I have yet to even get anywhere near that.....However, when I know how much I paid for the items. My slowness is due to not making a costly mistake....

Another part that makes it difficult is crawling around inside the car in awkward positions and getting in and out over and over again.....I always lay several movers blankets and the floor unstuck them thick.....Years ago when I was young and dumb and could conquer the world. I didn't lay blankets and several of the spot welds sliced my knees up and it was a bloody mess....lol....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back