• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how a car would fair with those judges if it had been sealed in a vacuum chamber and kept in the dark for all those years. I can see deductions for all the things commonly wrong with our beloved Mopars.

This was the premier unveiling at MCACN!

Go figure I'd come across this while at work where my service stinks!

What a way to cap off your tribute, congrats:thumbsup:. I'm very happy for you, to have all of that hard work and passion rewarded the way it was has to feel really, really good.

No worries I'll watch the video on the big screen when I get home.

Go figure I'd come across this while at work where my service stinks!

What a way to cap off your tribute, congrats:thumbsup:. I'm very happy for you, to have all of that hard work and passion rewarded the way it was has to feel really, really good.

No worries I'll watch the video on the big screen when I get home.
Devin

Thank you my friend!

It is still surreal......it has been one heck of a journey......

Let me know how I did....

Justin

We got to follow on the journey. In our books 995 is 1005. Congrats on both the journey and the score. We should all be so blessed as to have a car like your X.

We got to follow on the journey. In our books 995 is 1005. Congrats on both the journey and the score. We should all be so blessed as to have a car like your X.
Perfectly stated!

congratulations, beautiful car, and a continued legacy to last for years to come. :usflag::moparsmiley:

What a great honor it has been to see this come full circle from Post #1. Congrats Justin on the journey of a lifetime. Has anyone told you that you look like a younger Sean Hannity?

What a great honor it has been to see this come full circle from Post #1. Congrats Justin on the journey of a lifetime. Has anyone told you that you look like a younger Sean Hannity?
Roger

Thank you my friend and it has come full circle...... a wonderful journey indeed...

Too funny I either get that or Mark Cuban.....

Justin

I wonder how a car would fair with those judges if it had been sealed in a vacuum chamber and kept in the dark for all those years. I can see deductions for all the things commonly wrong with our beloved Mopars.
It wouldn’t be pretty and Definately a Plymouth’s sail panel would get dinged:D

Didn't you have some difficulty with those clips on the back of the sail panels? Posts 187 and 391.
Did you think I was unaware of that? I told the judge I knew that and the story why I gave up ....they are a Pita to install the reproductions. Also, the first set which actually fit right the headliner guy ruined them. Because the idiot banged them in and dimpled the cardboard, which I told him not to do....The second set was a battle on both sides and the passenger side I finally said no more....

It flipping stuck out only a thickness of two nickels......I have seen far worse in survivors.....

Just to clarify so no one else wastes time......I know almost every square inch of that car, I was aware of everything they noted except the washer jar and the blemish on the trim piece. Come to think of it that blemish may have been from when the car got detailed on Friday at 8 pm....which was suppose to be done Thursday and the car got there late....

Friday was a flippin rat race.....just ask @MarPar we were beat......

Thank you for that Justin. It was my honor and privilege to help!! It was great meeting you, Nat and your Mom. Betty is great!!! We kept each other in stitches the whole time!

Next year, I will be making your steak at my house, from my personal stash. No more relying on some short order cook drying out prime cuts!! It was sacrilege!

Easy tiger.....don't move in on Betty unless you can paw wrassle with alley cats. Just kidding! I totally agree Betty is great. In fact, she might be the nicest and coolest Mopar Mom ever.

Easy tiger.....don't move in on Betty unless you can paw wrassle with alley cats. Just kidding! I totally agree Betty is great. In fact, she might be the nicest and coolest Mopar Mom ever.
She gets shaggy with that bro....lol
I agree, she is the nicest and coolest Mopar mom.......

That’s some funny stuff Tom

Sorry, Justin. I didn't mean to poke the bear. I wasn't suggesting you had forgotten but some of us may have. I only posted that so others curios about the back story could easily look it up.

At least you didn't get any deductions for the carpet grommet around the hi-beam switch.
The way it was presented in your post was taken as I was unaware per se.....

To bring you to speed....

There is no grommet there......it was removed and discussed months ago....I was fortunate I didn’t cut too much carpet away....if I did I would have replaced that section.

Last edited:
View attachment 680801 View attachment 680806 View attachment 680803

The judging sheets comprise of seven pages and each page are about two feet long. One for engine bay, interior etc etc......You can get deducted from dust on a part to a blemish on a piece of trim and anything and everything in between. My car has three judges on it and it took roughly an hour and a half.....

To score above 990 is a phenomenal feat....the average scoring was in the 970’s and that’s still gold btw....

When the judges got done and they were all Mopar’s guys we chatted for about 45 minutes about Mopar’s and hearing about their cars and the Chicago club they are a part of. Very professional, knowledgeable and down to earth guys. Two of them swung by again the next day.

Per the words of one judge about my car he is what he said, “It was a personal pleasure for me to judge your car which was a wonderful example of an original car, thank you personally for bringing this car here and retaining true history.”

This is why I chose MCACN, a show for die Hard car enthusiasts....

Now for the deductions:

1. Passenger side rear sail panel was not as tight as the driver side(was supposed to be .5)
2. Reproduction washer jar but original cap. This totally blew by me and others....it was on the car originally and the car had no reproduction parts on it. It was yellowed and had a stain plus was correctly dated on the back. I didn’t even question it. Oh well, I told him would the two nos ones at home suffice, lol...the tip off was the direction of the cap, cores ones face the radiator. Newer reproductions face the correct way but will still get dinged because they are an obvious reproduction....
3. A slight blemish on a windlace mounding on the passenger side. Just needs to be polished.
4. Rear passenger window molding the lower rear corner on the passenger side sit slightly higher than the driver side. No fix it is tight on the glass and the down trim. They always fit crappy and I nudged then a bit in that but no go.....
5. Two holes on the left and right frames rails had a bend and this was due to a previous owner strapping the car down. The body shop fixed the rear two but forgot the front two...this was noticed when I got the car but it was painted at that point. Fixable but wasn’t a priority....

Now do see you just how picky of a process that is!

Holy Cow Justin . . . so the "task" for the judges is to "find anything" at all possible to be able to knock you off the 1000 maximum point prize.

Well, after watching your build, and your attention to details, you did your dad proud ! ! ! I'm really sorry that you didn't get the full 1000, but 995 is nothing to sneeze at either. Glad that I had the opportunity to meet up with you at the Nats this year, and glad to have another friend that I can keep in touch with and talk about Mopars ! !

Congratulations on a job well done . . . I'm very happy for your incredible 995 score ! ! !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back