• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the Love for my Father, My 69 GTX Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goes to show two things:
1. ECS glass has been high quality reproductions and factory like and fitment
2. If the installer knows how to install the glass, everything fits perfectly
IMG_2317.JPG
IMG_2319.JPG
IMG_2320.JPG

Passenger upper door pad. Installing the fuzzies. The originals used staples which these came with but when I asked the company how to staple them? The tech guy said, "I do not know?" lol I asked so you sell them like this but do not offer a tool or advice how? WTF

So I did them as I have done and that is to use small screws...
IMG_2321.JPG
IMG_2322.JPG
IMG_2323.JPG
IMG_2324.JPG
IMG_2325.JPG
IMG_2326.JPG

Interior roof rail trim and the upper arm rest panel installed.
IMG_2327.JPG
IMG_2328.JPG
IMG_2329.JPG
IMG_2333.JPG
IMG_2336.JPG
IMG_2337.JPG

Rear package tray. I was able to acquire an original factory package tray from a 69 charger that had the correct factory insulation. Of course the sizes are different so I had to manipulate what I had to cover all openings properly below the package tray. So if someones looks from inside the trunk up they will see the correct package tray insulation...

The fabric tabs on the package tray were glued to the frame with the yellow weatherstrip adhesive just like the factory sloppily did....

IMG_2343.jpg
IMG_2344.jpg
IMG_2345.jpg
IMG_2347.jpg
IMG_2349.jpg
IMG_2350.jpg
IMG_2351.jpg
IMG_2352.jpg

Here is a handy tool that can be easily made with a household utensil. This tool is to create a sleeve in the cardboard on the door panels to accept the clips. The key here is to move slow and twist L and R forward with your finger underneath applying up pressure. If you do this method you will not have dimples show when you install them. The clips are NOS. The white rope caulk goes on the rears to hold the moisture barrier in place and the tape is the correct factory type.

The moisture barriers, rope caulk and tape came from PCG....

The last pic is rope caulk tape. About a 1" square was placed on both sides of the rear window mechanisms body frame. The next pics show where they go....

IMG_2357.jpg
IMG_2358.jpg
IMG_2359.jpg
IMG_2360.jpg
IMG_2361.jpg
IMG_2362.jpg
IMG_2363.jpg

Front passenger door panel prepping. You this is what irritates the sh** about me with reproduction parts. Bad enough the rear panel I have to finish the cutout on the window crank hole, door pad screw holes and every place a clip goes but now I have to add ones that should have been there. The driver panel had to have two clip recesses added....BS

The door panel emblems are originals that Paul's chromed and TA painted. I got the measurements from Dennis at kruisin moons to place them in the correct position. Of course Legendary offers nothing. I attached them using 5 min epoxy...
IMG_2370.jpg
IMG_2371.jpg
IMG_2372.jpg
IMG_2373.jpg
IMG_2374.jpg
IMG_2375.jpg
IMG_2376.jpg
IMG_2377.jpg
IMG_2378.jpg
IMG_2379.jpg

Front passenger door panel is installed, Tape is cheap, paint is not! Original door plugs...

Last pic was the original restored by Dave Patik at PCG...

IMG_2380.jpg
IMG_2381.jpg
IMG_2382.jpg
IMG_2348.jpg

Passenger upper door pad. Installing the fuzzies. The originals used staples which these came with but when I asked the company how to staple them? The tech guy said, "I do not know?" lol I asked so you sell them like this but do not offer a tool or advice how? WTF

So I did them as I have done and that is to use small screws...
View attachment 495454 View attachment 495455 View attachment 495456 View attachment 495457 View attachment 495458 View attachment 495459

When I did the window fuzzies on my 62, I clamped the fuzzy to the panel and used a small drill bit to drill the new staple holes then crimped with an angled set of pliers.

On my GTX, I left them alone because, 1. They were still good and, 2. I remember how big a pita it was to do lol

When I did the window fuzzies on my 62, I clamped the fuzzy to the panel and used a small drill bit to drill the new staple holes then crimped with an angled set of pliers.

On my GTX, I left them alone because, 1. They were still good and, 2. I remember how big a pita it was to do lol
I was tempted to do the same thing but the staple was relatively short and that is the critical part. It would have to be compressed and crimped and that is what makes it a PITA....

Years ago I tried it and said screw that technique, lol....I believe they used and air stapler back in the day....Once the crews are in deep enough you cannot notice nor could you even notice the staples....

The screws are the easier route non the less...

Passenger side done....Windows roll up and down with ease and all edges meet/seal...However there will never be a water test, lol...

Window cranks, inner door handles, armrest pads/bezels will be one of the last interior items installed....just in case Eagle eye notices, lol...

IMG_2386.JPG

I really like the red interior!!

I have not bought my door panels yet. Sorry to hear they need fiddling to make them work for as much as they cost.

Question? How does the plastic barrier attach under the door panel? Butyl tape?

I have not bought my door panels yet. Sorry to hear they need fiddling to make them work for as much as they cost.
The red and the black really pops and their are multiple hues and sheens....

Looks sweet in silver cars too...hint hint....

I have a complete set of red door panels from Legendary. Purchased them in the 90's because the old door panels were shot. They are not perfect but nice. The difference is the old ones are flat and not padded.. The seat covers were replaced at that same time and when I get to the seats those will get replaced but they are in great shape...

So if you or anyone wants a somewhat complete interior I will sell it for next to nothing....

No kidding...at that price all I should have to do is to insert the clips...anything to save a penny...I wasted a fair amount of time prepping for the clips and mocking up because not all clips recesses were stamped out....

Plus, one of the staples was place in the way for the clip to slide all the way in.....That is great QC there...Of course when I ordered it I had to wait 3 months for it.....

Pics below are of the old panel and new panel...The old one used bigger staples and the recesses for the clips were pre cut. The new ones you have to go around with a razor blade and pop out a portion of it and you have to be careful not to go too far...Thats crap...and time consuming..

IMG_2396.JPG
IMG_2398.JPG

Last edited:
The red and the black really pops and their are multiple hues and sheens....

Looks sweet in silver cars too...hint hint....

I have a complete set of red door panels from Legendary. Purchased them in the 90's because the old door panels were shot. They are not perfect but nice. The difference is the old ones are flat and not padded.. The seat covers were replaced at that same time and when I get to the seats those will get replaced but they are in great shape...

So if you or anyone wants a somewhat complete interior I will sell it for next to nothing....

Why yes, I am interested :) Seat covers and door panels? Hit me up with what you need for them. I guess I need red carpet now.

Why yes, I am interested :) Seat covers and door panels? Hit me up with what you need for them. I guess I need red carpet now.
Mark

Your inbox is full...shoot me a PM when you get a chance...

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back