• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For the love of the game….

After seeing this, I am apologizing to my GTX for referring to it as a rust bucket during its life in the early 70s when it was daily driven in Pennsylvania. Compared to this California beauty, it was a show room pristine. What a difference 50 years makes. My idea of a rust bucket back then was holes in the lower quarter panels, and lower front fenders.

my GTX was pretty rough by 1985 standards......... but solid as a rock by 2023 standards

First time I've seen a chop shop take pictures and advertise!!

It's the internet... people post everything.. like some kid led police on a chase thru 3-4 towns here few years back, was teasing them by slowing down, then speeding off. Police finally called it off, and plate on bike was fake so couldn't visit him at his house. Few months later he posted it on YouTube, and a couple days later he had a visit from some very unhappy people. He said "You can't arrest me, I start at the State Police Academy tomorrow"... ummm.. no you don't

Man, I've parted a lot of cars over the years starting in the mid 70's and don't think I've ever parted one that rusty! Took a few pics here and there but not that many. Didn't see the value in that back then but now wish I had taken more.

It's the internet... people post everything.. like some kid led police on a chase thru 3-4 towns here few years back, was teasing them by slowing down, then speeding off. Police finally called it off, and plate on bike was fake so couldn't visit him at his house. Few months later he posted it on YouTube, and a couple days later he had a visit from some very unhappy people. He said "You can't arrest me, I start at the State Police Academy tomorrow"... ummm.. no you don't
Here in St. Louis we have are share of idoits. Some rob and then post pictures of one hand giving a gang sign and the other full of money and a gun. Two days later, It's handcuff time. Fortunately the IQ numbers go up the further from the intercity you go!! Stupid is as stupid does.

Just for curiosity, how much did you get at the scrap metal yard & what do you estimate you'll make in salvageable parts?
I'll be surprised if the scrap nets $100. Scrap steel averages out to about 5 1/2 cents per pound right now. $ 110 per ton. In 2008, it reached $230 a ton for awhile then suddenly crashed to $30 a ton. At $30, you'd only scrap a car just to get it out of your way.
I'll make my money back on the parts and get ahead a little. There are a few things in this car that I needed for other projects. Some of the stuff either isn't made or is not as easily found in junkyards anymore. Fasteners, brackets, stainless steel trim, heater box and controls, instrument cluster, inner door parts, wiper linkage, door hinges, grille, wire harness terminals, etc.
If this endeavor were just to make money, it would not be a wise one. If this were a V8 model with bucket seats and a console, I'd make a good profit on it. If it was a 4 wheel drum car being as rusty as it was, the only value would be in the hardware and even then I would have passed on it.
I have used up a lot of my factory nuts, bolts, screws and other hardware as I've completed projects. I used to harvest them when these cars were still found in junkyards. Drum brake hardware can be hard to find too.
Besides...I am retired and sometimes need something to do. Cutting and hauling this stuff can be quite the workout.

had my buddy bring his trailer over today...... we loaded it up with scrap and took it to the local guys........ they have a lot of old stuff in their yard and let me scavenge **** when needed, so I give them whatever scrap I accumulate...... I'm just happy to have a place to get rid of it...... less than 3 miles away, and I've known them for ever

Recycle day!
I towed the trailer to the recycling yard and unloaded. It is hard to assess what the overall value of the scrap was because a good portion of this car was sucked up in the Shop Vac. I gave the engine and transmission away and sold the axle for $20.
To offset all that, I had other stuff that was laying around. Maybe 300 lbs worth of other things. Todays total?
$59.30.
Heck yeah! I’m RICH!
I went over to the rock and gravel yard and bought a cubic yard of road base gravel to tune up some eroded areas out back.
I came home with a net of just over six bucks.
Wooooooo!

Last edited:
I'm with Kern on this one. Even at net zero $, all those clips, fasteners, wiper motors, linkages, relays, etc are no longer available or cost a fortune to find. NOTHING IS AS GOOD AS OEM for this kind of stuff. Ma Mopars bolts and hardware are also second to none.

Auto Transport Service
Back