• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Forbes: How much does roof replacement cost in 2024?

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
5:59 AM
Reaction score

I'm retired and and planning to replace my 20 year old asphalt shingle roof at some point. So, I hope this helps someone.

I did mine in 2009 when it was 20 years old. Estimates varied widely, as the posted article states. The good thing for me was that I was not in a hurry to get it done. I was able to save a significant amount by getting on the waiting list of a small contractor who did primarily commercial projects, but would take on private residential jobs as filler work. He's done many projects in my neighborhood since, and all customers said he was well worth the wait, which was typically six months or more.

The last roof I did with a friend was probably 20 years ago (a shingle type roof). Most roof jobs are not a technically difficult job, but they are backbreaking, hard work.

I just had mine done in the fall of 2023. There was no way I was going to lug all those shingles myself, so I paid to have it done. I have a lot of square footage of roof due to garage, patio and family room additions, so it was costly. But, I shopped around with local companies (I ignored big conglomerates), and I am happy with the work that was done, and I feel I paid a fair and reasonable price. Plus, the money stays local with a small business.

I guess I lucked out. Be 3 years this summer. Contractor tore off 2 layers, installed 30 square for $11k. I didn’t go cheap on the materials either. But the house is basic Ranch style, with a front porch that required 2 valleys.

My next roof will be metal. Probably by the Amish. I wish I'd have gone that way in 2008 on my last one.

Replaced my roofs with Galva loom. Covers more area quickly than shingles. High winds from a hurricane tore some shingles off my home and they were really brittle. Best move I have made. But each two his own. Maybe you live in a community where there are rules on what your roof can look like. Wish you the best on your choice. Evey thing is expensive now days and price are up on everything.

We built our new 1450 sq. ft. rancher with attached 1250 sq. ft. 4-car garage in 2003. I paid for 30-year IKO asphalt shingles, but only got 15 years out of them. When I replaced the roof, the contractor stripped the old shingles off, disposed of them, and covered the sheeting with GAF membrane. He replaced all the roof vents, even adding a couple more. Where the original house builder merely overlapped the shingles in the valleys, this contractor installed new metal valleys and flashings. The new GAF shingles are fibreglass substrate, instead of normal asphalt paper. This contractor is one of the best in my area, and even redid the roof on my 10' X 14' garden shed. After the crew was done, they cleaned up any loose nails, debris so well, there was no evidence of them being there, other than the new roof covering. Their price was $11,000, taxes included.
A couple of years later, my neighbour replaced his asphalt shingles with steel roofing. From the road, it looks like normal shingle roofing, not like something used on a barn. He has an 1800 sq. ft. house with attached 3-car garage. His cost was $30,000, but should last a lot longer. He is 20 years younger than me, so will get more use from his new roof than me.

We just got an estimate about six months ago.

2000 square foot with a 23x23-ish carport also under roof.

17K for shingles (12-20 year life expectancy)

26K for metal, without removing the existing shingles

30K for metal including removal of existing shingles

Those are in line with the link in the OP.

My problem with steel roof is most use barn type panels. And every screw is a potential leak. As soon as that screw doesn’t hit home or things move and it loosens its a leak. During and after high school I worked for a roofer. Many times we were on roofs chasing down leaks from screws , those nail with neoprene or rubber washers where the worst by far. At least with shingles when installed correctly every nail is sealed in the tar strip and covered by the shingle above.

We just got an estimate about six months ago.

2000 square foot with a 23x23-ish carport also under roof.

17K for shingles (12-20 year life expectancy)

26K for metal, without removing the existing shingles

30K for metal including removal of existing shingles

Those are in line with the link in the OP.
Man do yourself a favor and remove shingles underneath if you choose steel.

Man do yourself a favor and remove shingles underneath if you choose steel.

There seems to be al almost exact 50/50 split on the logic of that.

50% say it's easier to find leaks.
50% say it's worth the extra insulation, cushion, and cost savings.

There seems to be al almost exact 50/50 split on the logic of that.

50% say it's easier to find leaks.
50% say it's worth the extra insulation, cushion, and cost savings.
I see the other sides logic. I just believe you want that steel as flat as possible around the screw hole. Definitely do put a roofing underlayment (tar paper) or the like.

I did my house in 2019. The guy who did the work charged $2500 labor and the shingles were 2 grand. They stripped it and had the back half done in one day,they finished the job the next day.

You guys are lucky to have a simple roof design.

alot it depends on style and material and anything along with it

Lesson #1 get multiple estimates. Roofing companies are notoriously short lived so pricing can vary greatly. The worst of them are absolutely con-men ripping off people who don't understand what a roof should cost.

Just had a pal get an estimate for $45k, knocked down to $35k "special - just - for them if they could leave an advertising sign in their yard!". I told him it was a $15k job.... for which he got a $15k estimate the very next week.

I guess I lucked out. Be 3 years this summer. Contractor tore off 2 layers, installed 30 square for $11k. I didn’t go cheap on the materials either. But the house is basic Ranch style, with a front porch that required 2 valleys.
Daughters house 5yrs ago 48' x 26' with 2 car garage 12k and they install gutter guards, I was sneaky and paid for those. She won't take money to help her, she makes good money but take gifts. Edit: Removed 2 layers of shingles also, forgot that.

Last edited:
I see the other sides logic. I just believe you want that steel as flat as possible around the screw hole. Definitely do put a roofing underlayment (tar paper) or the like.

At my shop, the screws are through the high ridges, not the base flats of the metal.

I have had to fix a few leaks, but the roof is 46 years old, and the amount of water that comes in, even if the screw is missing is not near as bad as it could be if on a lower flat.

At my shop, the screws are through the high ridges, not the base flats of the metal.

I have had to fix a few leaks, but the roof is 46 years old, and the amount of water that comes in, even if the screw is missing is not near as bad as it could be if on a lower flat.
Ya, we installed steel both ways. Some with screws on ridges, some with screws in the flats. I’m not sure why, I never asked the boss. Maybe different steel companies want different location. Maybe it was customer choice.

Auto Transport Service
Back