• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

forged crank cracked

adk-roadrunner

Local time
7:51 PM
Reaction score
So I posted on here a while back when I bought a forged crank off eBay for my 440 build because of the way it looked. Well at the time I came to realize that forged cranks are just kinda ugly lol. So I ended up bring it to my machine shop to have it checked out and balanced with my new components. So today I get a call from the machinist and he says hey bad news that crankshaft is cracked at the number 8 journal is unusable, and I'd hate to say it but it doesn't even look like a re grind it looks like they just polished it and sold it to ya as its a thou under on the rods and the mains. So now what do I do I wrote the guy an email about it and he seemed pissed stating first I complained it was a 413 crank and now I'm saying its cracked 5 weeks later. Unfortunately I can't control how long it takes for my extremely busy machinist to actually get a chance to check it over. The confusion with the 413 crank was because of tabs on it I was told it was a 413 crank but is exactly the same and will work fine. So now I'm waiting to here back again and think I may give PayPal a call to see what they can do for me if it goes south as I used my PayPal card for the purchase.

What did you give for it including shipping? Some folks sell stuff as is when it's used. He might not have known it was cracked. It is a used part after all. I would stand behind it, but not everybody is like that. You can get a new Eagle crank for like 699. I don't know what you spent total, but whatever it was, couldda been a little towards one of them. Yeah I know. That's a lotta dough in one spot, but you get what you pay for. I hope you get it sorted out. I'd make it good for you, I do know that. Let's hope he will.

whether the crank is total junk or not may depend on where on the journal, and what kind of "crack".

I won it in an auction at 122.00 then paid 80.00 for the shipping the seller didnt have it listed as used he had it listed as remanufactured which by his definition different. The ad stated this
Remanufactured: A properly rebuilt automotive part. The item has been completely disassembled, cleaned, and examined for wear and breakage. Worn out, missing or non-functioning components have been replaced with new or rebuilt components. It is the functional equivalent of a new part and is virtually indistinguishable from a new part. so far he has not replied to me second email I will keep you all posted on what I do but paying 700 for an eagle crank is way beyond what im looking for though im sure they are great that is hella pricey wow. I guess I'll have to make my decision after I know what hes's gonna do but I hope at the very minimum paypal will get my 122.00 back. I'm not exactly sure what kind of crack it is I just know my machinist said it was unusable and idont tink I'd want to even if it could be fixed.

I feel your pain:icon_winkle: Last freshen up I bought a new Callies crank for $1700ish and custom pistons:glasses2::glasses2:

Yeah. If he had it listed that way, I say it was misrepresented. Can I ask you something? What's your HP level? I know we've discussed it, but forgive me if I cannot remember. If it's below 600, get the guy to refund it and go to Advance and get a cast crank kit. Bearings and all.

Prolly less than 6 I was thinking about that I wonder if I order a crank for an older 440 if they will have a forged crank at advance.

Now he doesn't seem to want to answer my emails so I'm waiting to see what his plans are. Getting a cast crank may not be an option for me now as my torque converter and balancer are for a forged crank. What a pain

Go hold him down and I'll stand on his balls till he comes up with your money.

Lol I'm going to contact eBay this evening and let them see what they can do. They have some buyers protection where if the product is not as described they ask the seller to try and resolve and if they won't sometimes they will refund purchase price plus shipping fee. I will also call PayPal and see what my options are with them. Honestly I'm hoping he stands up and goes good for it but we will see.

Did you use Paypal? Then it's simple. File a case claiming the item was misrepresented. Cause it was. You'll get your money back.

If you are going to challenge this thru PayPal, you seed to submit it NOW. They only allow 30 to 45 days to submit a complaint and get your money back. At 5 weeks, you have already gone thru 35 days. It also will take up to a month to complete the process, as they try to contact the seller also. If it cannot be resolved, they either take the moiney back from him, or just pay you from their insurance. Make sure they realize that it was bought thru Auction, and payed for thru PayPal.

As far as a crank, I could sell you a 440 steel crank kit with bearings and crank turned for $216.24 and a $190 core plus freight and tax. My crank grinder says that it is not worth welding, because you would spend as much money fixing that one that you could use on another or new crank.

Last edited:
Looks like i may be screwed 2 days past deadline for paypal and ebay looks like the only way this is getting resolved is by the seller.

Well good news I can report that he did actually man up and refund me 125.00 which was at least the purchase price. So at this point I've lost out 75 .00 shipping and whatever I owe my machine shop for magnafluxing. He said he thought 125 was fair I said OK then instantly I received an email saying it was refunded into my PayPal account.

:icon_thumright: something is better than nothing...

Auto Transport Service
Back