• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a quick second? Changing the rear main seal as we speak, have questions. ***UPDATE***

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:31 PM
Reaction score
Changing the seal right now its a 383 and it looks like the engine builder used silicone where the seal goes into the block. I got the seal out but I don't know if there is any residue RTV up there, is there anything I can put through there to make sure its clean? I looked as far as I could and got out some but it looks clean at the beginning. I also noticed a few VERY light scratches on the crank, will this affect the seal? Would it hurt if I bumped the starter a bit to see if there is any RTV on the other side of the crank?

Are you saying they seated the seal in RTV? If so that’s a pain. Might try using a square cut end of a zip tie to run through there from both sides to see if you get anything out. It won’t hurt it to bump the starter although you may get a little oil out of the assembly from the pump. You could just pull the plugs and torn the engine over by hand. Can you detect the scratches with your fingernail? If not I doubt they will be a problem. Just my opinion. I play a mechanic on the internet.

Are you saying they seated the seal in RTV? If so that’s a pain. Might try using a square cut end of a zip tie to run through there from both sides to see if you get anything out. It won’t hurt it to bump the starter although you may get a little oil out of the assembly from the pump. You could just pull the plugs and torn the engine over by hand. Can you detect the scratches with your fingernail? If not I doubt they will be a problem. Just my opinion. I play a mechanic on the internet.
Good idea, I'll try it. No I can't feel the scratches with my finger nail. Thanks for the info!

Tried the zip tie and it seems like there is nothing stuck in there. I bumped the engine and silicone was on the other side of the crank, so I cleaned that off. Got it all cleaned up so I guess I will give it a go!

I'm a little late, piece of rope and pull in and out. I'd next time but hope your successful this time.

I'm a little late, piece of rope and pull in and out. I'd next time but hope your successful this time.
Thanks, I should have thought of that. Well, the seal went in pretty easy so I'm guessing there wasn't much up there. I didn't think this would have been this hard of a job, what a B!$^h! My first time, who knows, maybe I did it right. lol

I was also going to suggest the rope pull for cleaning pistols

Thanks, I should have thought of that. Well, the seal went in pretty easy so I'm guessing there wasn't much up there. I didn't think this would have been this hard of a job, what a B!$^h! My first time, who knows, maybe I did it right. lol
What brand of seal are you using? Let us know how successful you were. I have to do one on a 440. Second, well actually, third attempt.

What brand of seal are you using? Let us know how successful you were. I have to do one on a 440. Second, well actually, third attempt.
I got the Felpro one and I am using the FastFish retainer. I have the FastFish seal but I didn't use it because you have to drop the crank a little to get it up there. I am also using the right stuff black RTV which I read about. I used the retainer because you don't have to worry about the side seals, it fit perfect. I'm not to confidant I did it correctly but I did a lot of research and read every post I could find. I'll let it dry tonight and put the oil pan back on in the morning and then try it around 02:00 PM, that's 24 hours. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Finished up and ran it, let it idle, ran it up to temp and revved it to 3000RPM's. I shut her down and checked for leaks and nothing under the inspection cover where it was leaking before. I did see like two drops on the right side behind the inspection cover, under the trans. I don't think its the seal because of the location and I'm not sure if it was oil or transmission fluid, which my trans leaks bad. I won't really be able to tell until I take her for a ride, it was raining so I didn't. Overall the job took me two days (first time) and a lot of frustration. I thought I put to much RTV on the seal ends, but I guess I didn't. I really like the FastFish retainer, it went in perfect, I cut the heads off of two 5" bolts and used them as guides. Lets hope for the best!

Thanks for the report. I replaced mine using a Mancini retainer. Not sure if that's good or bad but I liked the idea of it better than the stock one. It was the first time I had ever done it. It still leaked. So I had a couple buddy's come over who had much more experience than I but I didn't like the way that whole thing played out and it leaked even worse. So now I'm going to do it one more time and if I can't solve it then it's going to a shop.

Thanks for the report. I replaced mine using a Mancini retainer. Not sure if that's good or bad but I liked the idea of it better than the stock one. It was the first time I had ever done it. It still leaked. So I had a couple buddy's come over who had much more experience than I but I didn't like the way that whole thing played out and it leaked even worse. So now I'm going to do it one more time and if I can't solve it then it's going to a shop.
I toyed with the idea bringing it to a shop, I found one that did Mopar's, but then I thought to myself that I should at least give it a try. I mean I did everything else and the car turned out nice, not perfect by any means but I learned a lot. I did everything except body, paint and engine rebuild, put everything together myself with some help from friends. If stays not leaking I am going to be one lucky dude!

The best way to learn is to try. Plus, its alot more satisfying when you do it your self.

I methodically replaced the rear seal in my 66 Hemi and thought I had it sealed up but I pulled the flywheel cover a few weeks ago and looked up there with a strong UV light (dye in the oil) and I picked up a couple small trails coming from the side seal areas probably. Not enough to pull the pan again. I took a piece of Pig Mat and cut a gasket out for the bell housing cover flange and bolted it back up. I figure it will be a year or two before the diaper needs changing.

I methodically replaced the rear seal in my 66 Hemi and thought I had it sealed up but I pulled the flywheel cover a few weeks ago and looked up there with a strong UV light (dye in the oil) and I picked up a couple small trails coming from the side seal areas probably. Not enough to pull the pan again. I took a piece of Pig Mat and cut a gasket out for the bell housing cover flange and bolted it back up. I figure it will be a year or two before the diaper needs changing.
That's what's nice about the fastfish retainer you don't have to worry about the side seals. Just smear a thin coat of RTV on the sides and bottom and once it is in, there is a 45 degree reveal in the back, spread RTV in that and that's it, fits like a glove.

Last edited:
I did use a billet retainer from some Mopar source but it used neoprene side seals and also had a beveled recess on the back side to fill with RTV. I did use guide studs and had to seat it a couple of times to make sure the side seals were all the way down - but that pesky oil still seems to have found a way through. I guess it wouldn’t be a genuine Mopar if it didn’t seep a little oil somewhere.:rolleyes:

Auto Transport Service
Back