• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Formal Intro to my '66

Eric Cheetham

Local time
9:28 AM
Reaction score
I already posted about my radio issues which have since been figured out with thanks to a forum member.

Ever since I was a kid I've been a Mopar guy all because of my dad. He had a 1971 Charger when I was growing up that he let me steer around our driveway. That sealed the deal right then and there, that I would someday own a Charger. I've always LOVED the 3rd gens but have also been strangely attracted to the more unique 1st gen. Every time I've seen one at a show I would spend a considerable amount of time looking it over and if the owner was nice enough, sit in one.

Fast forward to this past May and I was perusing Facebook Marketplace as I do every morning and this 1966 4-speed was just posted. I called the owner immediately and made an appointment to drive up the Maine coast, about an hour (SO CLOSE!), to check it out. It needed to be mine so when I got home I sold my brand new ATV, went to the bank, and made arrangements to purchase it. This is legitimately my dream car and it will never leave my care.

TLDR: Loved them as a kid, love them now, bought one. Thanks dad!

Details:
383 4 speed
Originally white with a red stripe, was repainted in the '80s
Red interior is correct
Some rocker rot and quarter rust
Her name's Maxine.

Photos are the day I bought it and filled it up, first wash, met with a friend and her DeLorean, original of me in front of dad's '71, recreation of me in front of mine now, and my dad and I.
Day 1.JPG
First Fill.JPG
Interior.jpg
First Wash.JPG
DeLorean Sunset.JPG
Young 71.jpg
Young Recreation.JPG
Dad .JPG

Last edited:
Beautiful car! Congrats!

It's got all the right stuff, red interior, 4 speed, spinner full wheel covers, woodgrain wheel.

Even though I am an uber purist, I would leave the black paint, it looks fantastic!

WOW! From your story, I believe it has a great home. Congrats! :moparsmiley:

Very nice Eric.
I do like the red metallic interior.
Glad to a 66 that someone will appreciate and use.
I've had mine for over 30 years, my first child.
No name though I guess it would be "the Charger".
Keep us posted on your progress and projects.

SWEET! :thumbsup:Congrats and Welcome Eric. Nice car and I am sure you will have many memorable times with it.

Great story,Nice Charger.
Congratulations!

I've always LOVED the 3rd gens but have also been strangely attracted to the more unique 1st gen.

TLDR: Loved them as a kid, love them now, bought one. Thanks dad!

Details:
383 4 speed
Originally white with a red stripe, was repainted in the '80s
Red interior is correct
Some rocker rot and quarter rust
Her name's Maxine.

If someone can look at this picture and not see the advantage of a first gen.............
No reason to have an inferiority complex.
IMO it's better to have a car that is not as common or has become cliche.

Unsolicited advice. Black is a great color IF one can keep it.
Shows dirt and body work has to be spot on.
Also probably not a big issue in Maine, but black can be hot in the summer.
IF you fix the rust issue, perhaps consider going back orginal white.
You will find several first Gen stock cars in that color.

(BTW, something can not be "more" or "less" unique. Something is either unique or it is not unique.
"Unique" is an absolute. It cannot be modified as is commonly done in advertisements, etc.)

first-fill-jpg.jpg

Ah....guess I have Maxine's cousin here in VA. Mine is A/T and originally black / red from factory. My favorite combination, hope you get lots of enjoyment. I've owned mine for 32 years.

IMG_3157.jpeg

Nice car, and the red interior is awesome (Hey, I´m not neutral here :). Thanks for sharing your story.
Ragnar in Iceland

great car I have a white one also with a red cloth interior {very rare but believed to be original} I hope mine looks as good as yours someday , has been shop for 19years

Great car, and it sounds like it has found a great home and caretaker!

Enjoy getting to know the car, its quirks, nice areas and even not so nice areas. None (or at least damn few) are perfect, but they all develop and have a character. You'll love the torque and smoothness of the big block!

There are lots of great people here willing to help with questions so fire away when you have them!

Congratulations!

congrats.jpg
Great story and a wonderful car you've chosen to be the steward of.
I look forward to reading your posts on her in the future. :thumbsup:

Absolutely beautiful car. I love your story & the excitement. Lets see some pic's of the engine bay, trunk interior, we love pics!

Auto Transport Service
Back