• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found a Cool Vice/Anvil Combination

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:27 PM
Reaction score
I found this cool combination vice / anvil at a neighbors house; it was laying in the basement all rusty and nasty looking. I've never seen anything like it!
It was patented in 1912, so I am assuming it was made maybe 1913-1919 timeframe?

After I cleaned it up it looks really decent. I will definitely give this a few more years of use!

20220926_161246.jpg

20221006_151105.jpg

My son dragged that exact same anvil/vice home from a shed he helped clean out this past spring. I cleaned it up and listed it on marketplace for him. Took a couple weeks, but we got $100 for it.

That’s pretty cool- some old vises and anvils can be worth some real money.

My son dragged that exact same anvil/vice home from a shed he helped clean out this past spring. I cleaned it up and listed it on marketplace for him. Took a couple weeks, but we got $100 for it.
that was cheap

Cool find !
You know that will last with the quality from back then.
How heavy is it ?
It's not as heavy as it might look. The inside is hollowed out for the screw mechanism, so it is only a little bit heavier than a vice of about the same size. If you and going to pound some metal with it, you certainly need to bolt it down. The biggest issue I will have is that it does not have a swivel, so I may need to mount it on a stump or something so I can put metal on it from different angles.

that was cheap
Wow, well, then I feel good. I got it essentially free, as I bought a belt sander and it was thrown in on the deal.

Here is a shot underneath. The only thing I did was insert a washer to tighten up the mechanism a bit. It was a bit loose and sloppy but works perfectly now.
20221007_082217.jpg

I know it's a sin to Covet thy neighbor's goods and all but man, that is a sweet device!

Auto Transport Service
Back