• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found, Schumacher headers for a good price, opinions???

eagleone1983

Local time
5:34 AM
Reaction score
I found a pair of tri-Y Schumacher headers for a good price from a buddy, he's looking for $350. I was going to get TTI headers but stumbled on these. What would you guys do? They'll be going on a 69 RR 383, automatic, column shift car.

I don't think I've seen any on a b-body probably because the retail price is about as much as TTI so why go with the shorter header.

If your motor is a mild to moderate street engine, I would jump all over those like a disease free, pre plastic Pam Anderson.

lol, don't mind that plastic but definitely not looking for diseases.

My motor is probably considered mild, alum stealth heads, cam is comp cams XE275HL (.525 lift; duration 275/287), Edlebrock Performer RPM intake, bored .030 over, I think if I remember right I'm around 1:9.6 for compression, Comp cam magnum roller rockers.

If they are in good used condition they are a decent deal. If they are in new, they are a screamin deal.

If you don't take them, I would be interested.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on them. They are good used, I haven't seen them yet but he says the only issue is they are blued which would happen to any chromed header. His engine is pushing 650hp so he said they are a little restrictive on his motor, should be fine for mine.

The only difference in them and full lenth headers is they dont make as much power. Dont get me wrong as they work great but if you are looking to get the most hp out of your eng then I would go to a full lenth header. If you are not worried about a few horses they they will be fine. I would guess you might be giving up about 20 hp. Ron

Thanks for the perspective Ron. I don't think 20hp is worth 500 bucks which would be the price difference between these headers or if I went with TTI.

Update, I got them and although they are blued there was nothing else wrong with them and the flanges are crazy thick. If I don't count the fact that I had to take off my giant supposed to be for a pickup truck with a 400 exhaust manifolds the total installation time was about a half hour...I'm not kidding.

On the driver's side I only had to remove the #5 and 7 spark plugs and the battery tray. Might not have had to remove the battery tray but I had to remove it for the manifold so I just left it off for installing the headers. On the passenger side I didn't remove anything just moved the heater hoses out of the way. Unfortunately the header slipped off the studs when I was going to grab the nut and washer and broke one of my spark plugs. Pictures will be posted in my restoration thread "Rusty's Roadrunner" soon.

Auto Transport Service
Back