• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

frame and undercarriage?

72satteldog

Local time
11:29 AM
Reaction score
looking too clean up my undercarriage and frame and then apply some type of sealer or undercoating of some type. not looking to get crazy here, the undercarriage is in good shape, just needs some sanding, not frame off job. Any ideas on something that will look and hold up for some time. also would prefer to be flat black. any input would be great. Thanks fellow moparheads.

rhino liner is really tough, other than that clean it up and paint with a quality epoxy primer then paint it body color or black which ever you

Clean it down to shiney metal, coat with a couple coats of rust bullet, spray on a couple layers of SEM Rockit truck bedliner out of a gun. That's what I recently did to my bird. Rust won't be an issue for many many years....Regular rubberized undercoating out of a can...doesn't last as long, isn't as rugged and is a fan of trapping moisture (porous). Most bedliners out of a gun do not have rubber in them or have rubber in their base, instead-epoxy based...thus hard as a rock

I bought a quart of the hercueliner bedliner out of a can you brush/roll on, just to try out. Not even close to the same strength or durability. The stuff wasn't even close to being made of the same material. It looked like someone chucked some tires in a giant blender then dumped in some cheap black paint. Not impressed at all.

appreciate the input propwash. got some cleaning to do. any other products with the epoxy based spray liner. And is that a textured spray? i would like no texture.

Underbody

The key in what you said is "Not to get crazy". It's really hard to tackle this project and not get crazy! Undercoating is not very easy to remove, and if you want to do it right it has to be on a rotisserie. If you want to do the bad spots, soften the undercoating with a propane torch and a 1" thin-blade scraper. Spray the area with "Gunk" Engine degreaser and let it soak overnight. (Overnight means Overnight.) Pressure wash, wire wheel, and wipe the areas with enamel reducer or Lacquer thinner to remove the oil residue and coat with P.O.R. 15 to stop any more rust. This isn't a "Happy Time" project, if you know what I mean! Good luck, and let's see some pic's!

No problem '72. Yeah it's got a bit of texture, not much, but texture never the less. Pic below is of the trunk I sprayed with the Rock-it on my '69. Hopefully it can give you a bit of an idea of what it may look like for ya.

Otherwise like mentioned above, a few good coats of epoxy primer (like PPG DP90) coat over with something like Eastwood Extreme Chassis Black..pretty tough stuff. You would be pretty well off that route..

q2-4.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back