• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frame Connectors, Freaking windshield!

first a rubber gasket with a little soapy water and it should take less then 5 minutes to have it installed, mine had a problem, (68 hardtop ) we had a hard time trying to get the driver side top corner to lock in , (rubber gasket ) , after fighting it for 15 minutes , we pulled it out and got the tape measure , the pinchweld looked great , all factory never been worked, but the driver side corner on the top was a 1/4 inch tighter then the other side , just the corner where it curves in the rest was normal and square we ground the windshield from the corner a 1/4 inch tapering to nothing about 3 or 4 inches from the corner , wind shield went right in no problems since, when I got the car I noticed the lower chrome not fitting , setting out a little, the windshield was not seated right in the bottom because of the top corner, I looked it over good and I'm sure it was welded wrong from the factory , so try measuring every part of the opening like was suggested earlier, something is probably off

If you something up like a bar not attached to car that went frame rail to frame rail. So you could jack it in the center of the bar. Is it possible the QA1 K member flexes more than a stock K frame?

I don't think its flexible, like I said those cross bars are pretty thick.

Does anyone know how good the bolt on frame connectors are? I know the weld in ones are better but I don't want to take the chance of having my brand new paint job ruined because of the close welding. I am looking at frame connectors because I just had a new windshield put in, it was difficult for the guy but he did a good job. Well, an hour later I needed to do work underneath and jacked up the car on the left side. All of a sudden CRACK! There goes my windshield! F@#k!! This is the second windshield! The first one the sandblaster cracked. Would getting these subframes stop cracking my windshields because of the flex of the body?

Thanks Guys!
Very nice.

I had this happen on a 68 Camaro convertible. Jacked it up behind the left front tire, on the sub frame, and POP!
I welded in frame rail connectors, and it solved my problem. It's hard to remember, but I think chevy used the adhesive caulk, instead of a gasket.
I agree with everyone else. That gasket should not let the glass be under pressure anywhere, or it will break.
Maybe test fit the new windshield before installing it, so you can look for pinch points.

Auto Transport Service
Back