• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

frame connectors

jess

Local time
9:02 PM
Reaction score
ok i did a search but cant seem to find what is better
i am gonna weld a set on and would like to make my own
yes to save cash and i am good with metal fab and have mosrt of the stuff to do it yes it will take more time but time doesnt cost me money
anyhow
i was gonna make a set the form the floor or i was gonna use a straight piece
would would be stronger?
would cutting the floor interfear with seat or?
car is gonna be a driver but also see strip time
i did find a few pics but would like to see more
i am a visual kinda guy
thanxs

U S Cartool. Inexpensive. No intrusion. Good results.

Avoid cutting in to the floor. With steel prices so high, it might be cheaper to get a set. Weld in with a good amperage Mig 200 amp plus. Or Tig weld. make sure the bars are parallel to the rockers.

us cartool it is like them alot
i like how it welds to the entire floor
seems to me that should be strong as heck
i will orded them up
thanxs

dont cut the floor and weld in straight ones as you will interfere with lots of things definetly.

shape them to floor and weld entire length. i think you can get them for a couple hundred bucks man

I bought a set, and I made a set. Both take a LOT of time to set in, fabricate, set in again, get it right, etc.

has anyone used the welded end tubular Global West connectors besides me? I like them a lot and they only require cutting one small 2 inch notch and welding on each end. They fit nice and since they're tubular they are plenty strong enough. I admit though that the US Cartool full floor mating connectors are ideal and look great - just a lot more work.

I made a set for my E-bod. Quik/easy/cheap!

has anyone used the welded end tubular Global West connectors besides me? I like them a lot and they only require cutting one small 2 inch notch and welding on each end. They fit nice and since they're tubular they are plenty strong enough. I admit though that the US Cartool full floor mating connectors are ideal and look great - just a lot more work.

I have a set for my roadrunner. Don't have them on yet, but quality is real nice.

I have a set for my roadrunner. Don't have them on yet, but quality is real nice.

When you get them in let us know what you think. It's a good idea to do torque boxes at the same time if you're going to put those in so you can mock them up at the rear mounting point and get them all to fit just right with one another.

I'm sure that with the connectors that are welded to the floorpan, there may be some added rigidity, but the old rule still applies: A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. The thinnest point is about 1 1/2".
I made my own connectors out of 3x3 .120 wall tubing. Yeah, I cut them to fit against the floorpan, but where I cut, I boxed back together and welded it. My thinnest point was almost 1 3/4". I also welded in home made torque boxes.
Everyone swore that I would be impressed with the added torsional stiffness. Sure, I noticed SOME, but what really got me was how the car reacted on bumpy roads. It merely soaked them up and actually made the ride feel smoother! The car no longer skipped over bumps and ridges like it would sometimes do in the past. It made the car feel more modern. Fewer rattles, better handling and a quieter ride.

I'm sure that with the connectors that are welded to the floorpan, there may be some added rigidity, but the old rule still applies: A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. The thinnest point is about 1 1/2".
I made my own connectors out of 3x3 .120 wall tubing. Yeah, I cut them to fit against the floorpan, but where I cut, I boxed back together and welded it. My thinnest point was almost 1 3/4". I also welded in home made torque boxes.
Everyone swore that I would be impressed with the added torsional stiffness. Sure, I noticed SOME, but what really got me was how the car reacted on bumpy roads. It merely soaked them up and actually made the ride feel smoother! The car no longer skipped over bumps and ridges like it would sometimes do in the past. It made the car feel more modern. Fewer rattles, better handling and a quieter ride.

https://store.uscartool.com/66-70-B-Body-Frame-Connectors_p_13.html

I Think I'll have to get a set...not this year though lol

do any of you have any pic's of your homeaid ones?
i was gonna order up a set but i woud ike to try to make some
i have all the stuff to do it but woud ike to get some differnet idea's
and if i cut the floor what woud it interfear with?

No need to cut the floor. I made a set for my A body for around 35 bucks. Noticeable difference.

Attachments

• FC2.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 254
  • Location1A.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 263
  • Location2A.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 252
well i did cut the floor
i went with 2x3 1/8
the main reason i cut the floor was i personaly thing it would be just a bit stronger
like i said before this is gonna be a street/strip car with a mild 383
but ya never know what i might do down the road i have already been
looking into 440sources 542 kit maybe some juice ya just never know
so i figured i better build it with the thoughts of 800+hp and slick's

i got pics posted in the member projects under coronet 440 cheap skate
the reason it's called cheap skate is cause i wanna see if i can make this car nice and save a bunch of cash buy doing the work myself
just want ppl that dont have a ton of cash to know they can build something nice with out breaking the bank

U S Car Tool. I changed the entire front floor pan & had to do a little grinding to make them fit perfectly to the contours of my floorpan. I think the little extra work was worth the effort though.

Auto Transport Service
Back