• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frame cut out normal?

TommyBoyGTX

Local time
7:25 AM
Reaction score
On the Tommy Boy car (67 Plymouth B body) we are working on here I see this area on the frame that is on the driver side near the firewall that is cut. Is this normal or was this done at some point in its life....anyone know?

695675296.jpg
695675285.jpg

I don't think it's normal. Just checked my '66 and there's no cut out there.
That cut looks pretty ragged too.

Nevermind, I was looking at the notch in the pinch weld not the frame rail

Maybe at one point the was a bracket there welded in for a z-bar??

Im thinking that the frame was notched out for headers at one time....that would be a fairly common way to get them to fit if thats what it was. One possibility.
So sounds like it needs to be repaired back to original which we will do.

I am thinking this was an automatic car converted to a manual at some point.
What does the fender tag say ?

Fender tag is gone unfortunately. But its going to be an automatic when its done....just like in the movie because we are putting the front bench seat back in place.

This link here to the website for the car shows a good view of the floor when we took it apart:

Bare

There is no doubt that was always an automatic trans car from your pics. I would bet someone cut the frame lip for header clearance.

Agreed. Thanks everyone for your input....Im sure there will be more things we discover as we go thru the body.

Auto Transport Service
Back