• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Freeze plug in 440 block....what to do?

Mocajava

Local time
7:20 AM
Reaction score
Got my '66 440 block back after having it cleaned magnafluxed for cracks and bored. The thing looks shiney and new except for one small issue...a freeze plug that is pushed into the block rather than removed. I only noticed it because I heard the rattle after I rolled it on the stand. Will this hurt the flow of coolant, do I NEED to try and remove it and how the heck do I get it out? No idea if it was the shop that did this or the guy I got the block from...can't remember if plugs were there at purchase with all that grease on it. THX in advance for your thoughts. Mocajava

If you can grab it with a pair of channel lock pliers, you should be able to pry it out of the block. It being in there probably won't hurt any thing. But it won't help either

I thought of that but wondered if that would possibly scar the seal area of block that might cause me sealing/ leaking problems later...is trying to remove it worth the problems I might induce? I may try it and see if I can pull it fairly easy.THX

Manipulate it with whatever tool you need then grab some channel locks and pry it out. You arent going to hurt the cast iron around it with normal hand tools barring use of a hammer of course.

Yup,
On the engine stand simply "ROTATE" it until you can get the "Vice Grips" on it

That freeze plug is soft and chewy compared to the block, yank it out of there :icon_thumright:

The only bad thing about leaving it in there is that when it rust and becomes smaller pieces it may wreck a few water pumps unless it's brass. Just do what's been said and yank that baby

Had the exact same thing happen to me only it never let loose and started rattling until I had all the new ones in.... I pulled the new plug then pulled it out with channel locks. It MAY NOT hurt anything but for the little effort it will take to get it out I'd just get it out of there.

If you don't remove it, you'll have a cooling issue, BIG TIME!!! Pry bar, screwdriver, super long curved needle nose pliers, vise grips, etc. should get it out.

itll pull out of there, I get a good pair of needle nose vise prips that I welded a small cable to, the other side of the cable is on a hammer and I use it like a slide hammer, useful for many things, pulling floating freeze plugs is one of them...

Auto Transport Service
Back