• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Freshened up the engine bay.....

jaak

Local time
5:31 AM
Reaction score
After having my 73 Rallye a few weeks, I needed to replace the clutch. So I decided to go ahead and pull the engine and do some cleaning and painting. I just wanted it to look, more presentable and do it on a budget. I know its no top quality restoration, but I think it looks 100 times better.

Here's some pics....

DSC_0334.jpg

Heres what I started with, black spraybombed bay, lime green engine...Yuck!

103_3571.jpg

Engine removed.

101_3593.jpg

Cleaning and prepping engine for paint.

101_3605.jpg

Engine Painted. I used tractor enamel (9.99 a quart) with hardener (12.99 a pint) I figured if its durable enough for tractors/implements, it should be durable enough for a engine....I was thrilled with the results.

101_3588.jpg

Also opened up the tranny to inspect it and replace all gaskets and seals.

101_3608.jpg

Found a crack in my bellhousing, I had to get welded up.

DSC_0825.jpg

Bellhousing Painted.

101_3598.jpg

wiring and parts removed to start prepping for paint.

DSC_0811.jpg

Bay painted. I used a pre-packaged single stage urethane, picked out a shade of blue I liked.

DSC_0823.jpg

Wiring and parts reinstalled.

DSC_0380.jpg

Engine installed.

DSC_0494.jpg

Everything back together and running...took it for a spin! I still need to paint the bottom side of hood and the braces that run from the firewall to the fenders and install them.

Like I said I know this isn't a top notch restoration, but a couple hours after work the last 4 weeks and about 300 bucks of parts and materials, I think it looks alot better.

Jason

It always amazes me what a little "elbow grease" and paint can accomplish. The work you did looks really great..... I would want to take the hood off and drive it that way so everyone could see it.:grin:

It always amazes me what a little "elbow grease" and paint can accomplish. The work you did looks really great..... I would want to take the hood off and drive it that way so everyone could see it.:grin:

Well, I haven't painted the hood yet, so I took it for a spin yesterday hoodless. :)

DSC_0509.jpg

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Jason

nice job :yes: i hope mine turns out as nice . i have a bit more work to to before im even close to paint .

here a a few pics of mine i have some rust issues i have to deal with :mad:

HPIM5593.jpg

HPIM5589.jpg

HPIM5590.jpg

Keep us posted on your work!

Jason

Auto Transport Service
Back