• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Freshly rebuilt 727 help

Great minds think alike. I used that exact trick to keep the converter engaged.

So just finished getting the car back together and filled with oil. It pulls like a train. The dam thing is a beast. All I changed since I had the issues was the torque converter, flexplate and used my buddies VB. Going to drive it for a while and change the fluid. When I do that I'll put my VB in and see if the issue returns but right now I'm a happy guy. I'm putting the problem down to the torque converter for now. The one I got is for a 69 gtx so it has a 2400 stall and seems to be good for my purpose. It will do for now as I'm just running the small block 8.25 rear. Have an 8.75 waiting to go into the car in yhe near future.

Thanks to everyone that chimed in with possible issues I should check for. I'm pretty good when it comes to autos but sometimes it's good to get other peoples input

Please report on VB change. What about the spacer business?

Using the torque converter from rockauto the correct spacing was there when measured so no spacer required. The torque converter sat 1/2" back from the face of the bellhousing and according to my service manual that is correct. When I installed the trans the torque converter pulled forward about 3mm to the flexplate and it spun smoothly in the bore of the crank unlike the other TC which was a bit tight in the bore.

As soon as I change the VB I'll report back if it's good or if there are issues. I've waited for 4 years to drive the car and that was due to covid and myself getting in a car wreck and been left with spinal stenosis so I'm going to enjoy it for a few weeks before I change it. My back will appreciate it

my advice to u . have a good trany guy check it something is screwed up

my advice to u . have a good trany guy check it something is screwed up
And where do you suppose he's gonna find this "expert" in Ireland? He's got it working & he has a plan....
It amazes me how many people think everything needs to be left to the "experts"... How do you suppose "Experts" learn & become "Experts"?????

The only tranny guy you will find in ireland is wearing 6 inch heels. There are transmission guys here but they won't deal with american auto stuff. It's all European stuff only. Same with motors. They won't touch them so that's pretty much how I started building motors and transmissions. If I was to send a transmission somewhere to get built it would have to go to the UK. Did that once and the guy left me high and dry without a transmission.

There is nothing wrong with my tranny. Everything was done correctly. All clearances were checked. End play was done. Air checked it. Only thing I couldn't do was test it out of the car.

New converter, flexplate, flexplate bolts, torque converter bolts and gasket kit ordered. Got an 11" 24 spline 2400 stall. Should arrive friday hopefully so I'll be doing a late one that night with an early start Saturday to see if I get it on the road

Great minds think alike. I used that exact trick to keep the converter engaged.

So just finished getting the car back together and filled with oil. It pulls like a train. The dam thing is a beast. All I changed since I had the issues was the torque converter, flexplate and used my buddies VB. Going to drive it for a while and change the fluid. When I do that I'll put my VB in and see if the issue returns but right now I'm a happy guy. I'm putting the problem down to the torque converter for now. The one I got is for a 69 gtx so it has a 2400 stall and seems to be good for my purpose. It will do for now as I'm just running the small block 8.25 rear. Have an 8.75 waiting to go into the car in yhe near future.

Thanks to everyone that chimed in with possible issues I should check for. I'm pretty good when it comes to autos but sometimes it's good to get other peoples input
my 68 y/o cousn thas been a assa mechanic for ovr 40 yrs just told m this fresh built 727 that i was told that the down shift leakage should be all the way foward with the engine at idle.( foward these emails to him . hes been working on mopar for a long time . he helped me with my new yorker & helped me build my race polsra back in 1979 i have been trying to get him to join the groups )

@Tim jarvis As a new guy your gonna wind up pissing a few people off pretty quick if you keep clicking the Disagree button, especially if you don't post an explanation of why you disagree...

three red X's in this thread alone...

@Tim jarvis As a new guy your gonna wind up pissing a few people off pretty quick if you keep clicking the Disagree button, especially if you don't post an explanation of why you disagree...

three red X's in this thread alone...
He probably doesn’t have an explanation or he would have posted it.

Your probably correct. We'll an update on the transmission. It pulls like a train with nice crisp shifts. Havent clocked up too many miles yet as I was battling an over charging issue and now have vapor lick issues. Minor things to sort but as far as the transmission goes it is awesome. Still haven't swapped back to my own VB yet but I will update as soon as I do

Auto Transport Service
Back