• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Freshly rebuilt 727 help

Working on the pump now. I can see the tabs through the front and they look good. Clutch packs are next

Working on the pump now. I can see the tabs through the front and they look good. Clutch packs are next
yeah, just hoping a gear in the pump didn't get eaten.. worth the 1 min to check

Well worth the 1 min to check. It looks perfect. Clutch packs look like they were never used. The frictions look like I just took them out of the pack and soaked them in oil. The steels don't even have a mark on them

Now I'm wondering was the TC junk and whatever metal shavings that showed up in my pan came from the TC from my buddies car

Now I'm wondering was the TC junk and whatever metal shavings that showed up in my pan came from the TC from my buddies car
That's nuts.. yeah no where else to look...

So I was looking through all the bits and I noticed a line in this. I'm a welder for my sins so I happen to have a dye kit at hand. Going to check it out and see if I'm right. I tried to rotate the sprag backwards and it wouldn't budge. I removed the springs and rollers but all the tabs are standing perfectly upright. I also drilled an oiling hole for the sprag before I assembled the trans as directed by John Cope

20230911_205749.jpg

So I was looking through all the bits and I noticed a line in this. I'm a welder for my sins so I happen to have a dye kit at hand. Going to check it out and see if I'm right. I tried to rotate the sprag backwards and it wouldn't budge. I removed the springs and rollers but all the tabs are standing perfectly upright. I also drilled an oiling hole for the sprag before I assembled the trans as directed by John Cope
I'm too scared to drill that hole... if i mess up it will suck finding another pushbutton case :)

So the dye test didn't show up anything. Now I really don't know what to do. I know push button cases are rare but here in ireland if I was to find anything for my car I'm screwed

20230911_211222.jpg

So the dye test didn't show up anything. Now I really don't know what to do. I know push button cases are rare but here in ireland if I was to find anything for my car I'm screwed

View attachment 1523681
Oh damn.. i didn't know you are in ireland.. yeah that would suck.... BTW.. if you go near Cork visit the Rory Gallagher museum for me :) I hope to make it one day...

The sprag spind correctly one way and doesn't move the other. I tried with all my strength to see is the housing was spinning in the case but it didn't budge

I go to Cork every once in a while. There is the Rory festival in donegal that happens every year. I haven't gone yet but my buddies all go and we are all planning on heading to it next year. If the mighty mopar is running ill bring it to the festival.

I'm thinking of jumping and buying a cheap stock 11" converter to also rule out that issue. Now the fun part. It's €220 for the converter and €311 shipping. I'll also get hit with extra charges on that aswell so a cheap stock converter will cost me €680. I really should've gotten into playing darts

Shipping is expensive for heavy items and torque converters are a bit heavy. We also have to pay 23% tax on the purchase cost and shipping then pay another 10% duty on the purchase cost and shipping cost then also 10% of the 23% thrown ontop. I have spent 3 years building the motor and getting the car ready all because the cost of doing the job. If I lived stateside I would've 100% restored the car with a new mod top and a R5P7 with a 6 speed manual for the same price

You are super sure there was enough fluid in it

Check all of your clutch pack clearances and re-assemble everything with care so there are no questions.
Hope you find something definitive! Good Luck!

There was plenty of fluid in the transmission so there's no worry about that. I cycled it through the gears and had it idle in neutral for a while then cycled gears again. Checked the fluid level and topped up to the required amount. The car would barely move with bringing the revs up to 2k. In drive it barely moved so I brought it up to 3k and that's when it gave a shudder and I shut it down. Seeing as I cannot find any internal issues I'm pointing towards the torque converter

This transmission was gone through before by someone at some stage and I'm unsure if they had any knowledge on transmissions. What I am seeing online is the rear support housing can contain a needle bearing but mine has none. Is this something that is common on the 727 trans? I should also mention this trans is a 3160 so it's dated for March 1970

20230912_111349.jpg

That’s a reasonable assumption given that you haven’t found anything definitive in the trans. When my TC failed there was a lot of glitter in the pan.

Auto Transport Service
Back